iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Books on using a portable saw mill

Started by soggyboot, January 23, 2012, 03:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggyboot

Can anyone recommend a book they've read on sawing and milling lumber, that really helped them? Thanks. SB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yes...."The WOODMIZER" owners manuel.

Written by: Wood M. Izer.  :D :D :D

All jokes aside, no I have not read any books. I have learned a lot from watching videos and asking questions here on the Forum.

You can also use the search box for SPECIFIC questions you have.

WELCOME TO THE FORESTRY FORUM "SOGGYBOOT" You WILL HONESTLY learn a lot here!!!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

moosehunter

All the info you need is right here!! Just start reading ;D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Ohio_Bill

Moosehunter you are 100% correct  . A great source of information  on a bizzilion  topics
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

terrifictimbersllc

I read Will Malloff's book "Chainsaw Lumbermaking" many years ago and referred to it many times since.

This is a good book too (Wengert, "Sawing Edging and Trimming Hardwood Lumber"), I started to read it and misplaced it, I've got it somewhere I hope.  ::)  http://books.google.com/books/about/Sawing_edging_and_trimming_hardwood_lumb.html?id=NE3WAAAACAAJ
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dan_Shade

Do a search on member "Tom" and read all of his posts.  He was a tremendous wealth of information.

Tom stepped from this world into the next this past November, but his contributions to the forum will keep on giving.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

soggyboot,welcome to the forum. Do you have a mill? Lots and lots of info on the forum. Ask away too and we will gladly help. Always good to talk about questions,even if they have been asked before. We don't mind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

I would suppose that any of the sawmill's owners/operators manual would be a good choice.

I know the Wood-Mizer manual is very specific as to setting up the mill and operating it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kansas

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Is it the mechanics of sawing? Running the mill as a business? Owners manuals can be great for how to saw lumber. Take the business plans the companies provide with a grain of salt. Too often times, they are written for optimal conditions. As stated, that is a huge wealth of knowledge here.

Larry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWsfvyzfmgA&feature=player_embedded

I don't have it but wish I did.  I do know somebody that does, but they have never offered to let me borrow it. :(

Maybe we can get somebody to review it for us.

TH used to have a pretty good video also.  Unfortunately it's not at my local library either.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cutting Edge

Welcome soggyboot!  I'll agree with all the previous...I have found that if you have a question, the search box is your freind.  You will get HOURS/DAYS of reading, real hands on experience, opinions on equipment, troubleshooting, etc., etc., etc.  You will find one question leads to another....I actually use "notebook" to copy/paste when I come upon important technical issues.  Kinda like a FF Do's and Don'ts for me.  Keeps my head a little better organized!

At least here there is no sales pitch, and the replys to questions always seem to help more than just you...other people reading may have the same problem.  The "Search Box" will outdo what any book company, none have the information that this community/forum has,does, and will provide. I was just bragging this morning how I was up late last night finding/reading  :P a solution to a problem....actually solved 2 more in the process. ;D  Who needs G@@GLE....we got The Forestry Forum.    8) 8)
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

dgdrls

I would suggest the catalog from Suffolk Machinery Corp. for Blade knowledge.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Best DGDrls

Mooney

It's interesting that this topic popped up!

Wood-Mizer has been working with an expert in the field, and longtime sawmill owner/operator to get his book published on this very topic. As soon as we actually have copies in hand, I'll post a link to it.

The book is over 350 pages, and is called, "Manufacturing & Marketing Lumber Produced by Thin-Kerf Band Mills." I've read the book, and I believe you guys will find it very valuable. Sorry it's not available yet!   :'(

Cedarman

I started brand new with a WM LT 30 in 1983.  Probably the most beneficial thing I ever did was take a week long lumber grading short course a year after buying the mill.  A good book on grading lumber would be at the top of my list. A log grading course would be right up there too. You will make or lose more money knowing lumber grade and log grade than anything else.
If you plan to make this a business and want to be one of the best, you will need to invest the equivalent of getting  a college education.
The owner's manual for your mill should be studied like the bible.  Having your mill tuned properly and proper blades for the job will help tremendously.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

CalebL

Quote from: Larry on January 24, 2012, 01:38:03 PM

I don't have it but wish I did.  I do know somebody that does, but they have never offered to let me borrow it. :(

Maybe we can get somebody to review it for us.

TH used to have a pretty good video also.  Unfortunately it's not at my local library either.

Sorry Larry.  You are more than welcome to borrow the videos.  What's your address, I will drop them in the mail today. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Larry

I was just teasing a bit and didn't even know you had them.  I would like to watch them sometime.  I'll pick them up next time I'm down your way.

For the other members did you find the videos a good learning experience?

Like Cedarman I went to the grading school which helped a lot.  Every chance to pick up knowledge is an opportunity.  The old Kansas Forest Products Association used to sponsor field days at different places.  Several were at member Kansas's sawmill.  I really miss the learning experiences we had than.  It was also good meeting other sawyers from around the midwest.  And the food was pretty good too.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bump

The videos were quite disapoiting to me and would say read a little on the subject with a simple Google and you will do better.  I love my WM mill but there expertise for sure is not educational material. The video was poor at best.

CalebL

Quote from: Bump on January 26, 2012, 12:42:48 PM
The videos were quite disapoiting to me and would say read a little on the subject with a simple Google and you will do better.  I love my WM mill but there expertise for sure is not educational material. The video was poor at best.

I wouldn't say they were poor as they helped me getting started and answered a lot of questions I had about my blades and production.  If I had to do it over again, I would buy them again.  I still watch the quartersawing video from time to time as I don't QS much. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

CalebL

Quote from: Larry on January 26, 2012, 12:32:30 PM
I was just teasing a bit and didn't even know you had them.  I would like to watch them sometime.  I'll pick them up next time I'm down your way.

For the other members did you find the videos a good learning experience?

Like Cedarman I went to the grading school which helped a lot.  Every chance to pick up knowledge is an opportunity.  The old Kansas Forest Products Association used to sponsor field days at different places.  Several were at member Kansas's sawmill.  I really miss the learning experiences we had than.  It was also good meeting other sawyers from around the midwest.  And the food was pretty good too.

No worries Larry.  I thought I had mentioned I had bought them to you but neglected to offer you a chance to see them.   ;D
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

bandmiller2

Learning to run a sawmill from a book is like learning to ride a bicycle from a book,it helps but you just have to do it.When I started milling in the eighties there was very little written pretty much only Stan Lundstrom's booklet.Seems sawyers were not writers and writers were not sawyers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kansas

I miss the old days of the KFPA having events, learning classes, you name it. Sad to see the industry in this state simply disappear. We have our new building up; I have been kicking around the notion of trying to put something together this spring or summer. There are still a lot of smaller sawmillers who might only be doing it on the weekends. And people are always interested in wood related events.

Okrafarmer

Not to poke fun, because I haven't been to Kansas yet, but some of us are still getting used to the idea that there might be trees in Kansas....  :D
No offense intended.

It was the same way when I went to Texas, I was amazed how many trees there are. It goes to show, you can't let the stereotype of a place fool you.

Back to the OP, I have also been looking for a good book. I consider myself a decent writer, so the idea of writing such a book interests me, but the problem is that I am just a beginner at milling.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Kansas

At one time, Kansas was the 3rd or 4th largest producer of walnut logs. Don't know where we are at now, but walnut is mostly what is logged now. With the mills disappearing, its too many miles to ship other types of logs at 3.80 a gallon for diesel. I don't know how far I would have to go into Missouri to find a grade mill with a check that didn't bounce.

Okrafarmer

Wow, we're exactly opposite. There's very little walnut here, but millions if not billions of pine (mainly yellow, some white), oak (red and white and various others), yellow poplar, and sweetgum, with a fair addition of ERC, red maple, sycamore, river birch, hickory, and cherry. We have around 100 species here within 50 miles from me. But walnut is scarce. However, log prices of all species seem to be rock bottom here compared to most states.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!