iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ez board walk saw

Started by steve phillips, January 23, 2012, 11:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

howdy all
until now i have been gathering material , rebuilding motor ect. have 90% of everything here now.

does anyone have a ex boardwalk saw ?
could you show some detailes pictures , i like the 15degree angle its on

any help will be deeply welcomed    steve
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

paul case

This is the third try so I hope this works.There are a few more pics in my gallery and some on ez boardwalks web page. Are you building one with the angled cut? PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

steve phillips

hey paul
yes i want to build one with an angle cut
over my reading and plus running chain saw the angle is a plus in my book.
if you want or would you can send me the pic direct to my email  woodnvalley@aol.com  to keep the form small ( pictures) if this allowed if not i will remove my address .
i need widths and lengths , track width ect  i have nothing but the wants lol  .
i have excess to plenty of cheap metal  and i have my own maching shop . im on disablity and you know the goverment dont pay much heheheee         thanks

Magicman

Remember that an angled sawblade increases the distance between the blade guides thus presenting more unsupported blade to the cut.  It also forces the blade to cut more surface with each pass.

Without getting too deep into geometry, say that you are sawing a 12" cant.  Angled, you may now have 13" of blade in the cant instead of 12".  Not much difference, but some.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

steve phillips

howdy magic man
yes this is very true
the reason i like the off set is they claim it cuts good which they all do. they claim to push easy and thats what i am looking for . i have ms and walking can be a challange at times lol.
i wish i could call them up and say heres my card number and hurry up shipping it heheee
the reason i want mill is for main reason i need to build a 6ft tall fence ( better neighbor) , the price i got for a fence put up is ovr 8 grand . so the mill will pay for itself off the bat.
some say with all my health problems why do i try yo do things like this , well i was raised to work on a farm if you just stop you die , so till the fat lady sings i shall do something lol  thanks steve

Bill Gaiche

Welcome steve phillips, for what its worth I have pushed P. Cases mill through wood and it is a lot easier than my mill. PC's is a boardwalk and mine is home build not on angle. The angle does help pull the head through the wood. bg

peanuts roost

hello everyone.  I've been following and reading this forum for a good while and have found it to be very friendly and very informative.I am also disabled but hope to purchase a small mill in the next few weeks for my own use only.Family owns two small tree farms here in tn. Money is limited. I am intersted in either ez boardwalk or mister sawmill 26.I hope I'm not breaking any rules asking for advise but since you were discussing ez , I thought i would ask.this is my first post.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Peanuts Roost.

As you've already found out, this is a great place to read and hang out!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Welcome   Peanuts Roost.   I'd say that where the EZ part in the name came from, the angled head. Good idea that works.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Welcome guys,I wonder if the EZ part comes from more hook on the tooth as it goes in at an angle??I don't doubt it helps but will complicate construction as you have many angles to contend with.Probibly your build time would be better spent with hydraulics and power feed.Turning big logs on a mill can be tough in the best of circumstances believe me power assist is worth installing. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Fil-Dill

Steve if you need additional pics or measurements, send me a personall message.
EZ boardwalk 40

Jeff

I'm with Frank.  The ease of pushing the blade through the wood is the very least of your concerns if you are disabled. The difference between an angled blade and a straight blade is going to be insignificant for you in the total scheme of things. The species of wood, or the differences of one log to the next for that matter will change your ease of feed far more from log to log. The log and wood handling difficulties you will be presented with on a manual mill will have you forgetting all about the difference in the feed rate of an angled head once you start sawing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

I think the EZ part comes from the makers name. Edward Zimmerman.PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

r.man

Being easier to push can't hurt and it is something that would be hard to add on later.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Jeff

Yes, but like I said, its insignificant in the scheme of things. If one's disability increases just a little bit, then the small gain made by all the work in making an angled head is erased. but if you put that effort into building in a power feed like Frank mentioned, as a disability increased, the effort that went into building the powerfeed instead is not erased but appreciated.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tcsmpsi

I understand the theory of the angled blade/cut, however, that also increases your width of cut.  Your width of cut will overide by resistance what might be gained of the 'angled cut'. 

One's greatest friend in any sawing, is a sharp, properly set blade.  As Jeff mentioned, different logs of different or the same wood, depending on its particular growth, can make a BIG difference.  Some of the easiest, yet most difficult wood can be sawing syp.  When the blade starts to dull (which is as soon as it begins cutting), the width, especially in more difficult sawing, makes a notable difference.

If there is little resistance of your sawhead moving on the track, when not sawing, much anything past leaning against your saw to cut, is saying it is time for a sharp blade/and or slowing down.  Once you start having to actually push noticeably, probably will be looking at wavy cuts.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Fil-Dill

I agree with you Jeff. The EZ boardwalk saw was never set at an angle to help with easier feeding through the log. His theory was that with the blade at a slight angle, and with most lost being cut off close to square, that the blade did not have to enter the entire butt of the log at once. With most logs being cut at the first knot in the tree, the blade can now enter at the corner of the log and after going in one inch, it now has an inch of blade to ride on while the next inch enters the log and so on. He was working on the theory that the blade has the most problems with causing wave at the beginning of entering the log. The ease of pushing was a plus. The hook angle of the tooth is the same in relation to the wood it is cutting. The angle should help pull the track into the log. If the blade was set parallel to the log, the track would go down the rail like a belt sander of a table top.
EZ boardwalk 40

hackberry jake

After having seen numerous mills in action, I believe the angled cut makes a smoother finish. The first and last inch of cut look the same as the middle of the log. The angle of blade to grain is different. The saw is tearing the fibers out more efficiently imo. If one were to build a bandmill with an angled cut that was angled the wrong way (pushing the fibers instead of pulling) I believe it would have a lot of quality issues. Just my thoughts on the matter.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

I would think that if the mill was "perfectly level", that the EZ Boardwalk sawhead would practically pull itself through the log!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

It depends on the wood species, how sharp the band is, and width of cut. If you have a sharp band and are edging lumber, you actually have to hold it back slightly.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, peanuts roost.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Quote from: Chuck White on January 24, 2012, 05:26:03 PM
I would think that if the mill was "perfectly level", that the EZ Boardwalk sawhead would practically pull itself through the log!

It has too make it easyier to push, if it was at a 45* angle you'ld have to hold it back.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

steve phillips

howdy all
man what a day , went out and trades for a military wisconsin  motor , i like motors with history
well anyways  the wood i will be cutting here 1st will be poplar . but i will be cutting a little of everything including burls
until i was told by the docs to stop . i used to build banjos on the side. i wored for harley davidson for over 20 years untill i had to stop so now i have a complete machinse shop and build a lot of stuff , more than i want at times  but   all my musical building buddies want me to do some sawing for them.
the better neighbor fence thing comes 1st already have a court date for assult , shouldnt slapped my lab lol

peanuts roost

I wish to Thank all of you for the welcome and the good advice.I agree I should include hydralics but my pocketbook just won't allow at this time unless I locate an affordable used mill.Thanks Again

Ozarkian

Hello Peanuts,  I will be purchasing a Mill in the next few weeks as well!  So I understand your excitement.  I don't believe you got much of a "specific" response regarding which mill would be better for you. 

First, there is one major difference between these two mills.  From what I have gathered off of their websites that difference is the diameter of log that can be cut.

Model: 26 - Capable of cutting 26" dia. x 12' or 18' long log.  (Depending on which model you select, 26B12P20 or 26B18P20).

EZ Boardwalk 40 - Cuts 40" dia by 16'6" long logs.  You can purchase additional track extensions available in 4', 6', 8' and 10' lengths.

That is a difference of 14" in diameter  :o, something to consider.  However, the 26B18P20 come's with an additional 18 inches of length. 

Motor size:
EZ Boardwalk 40 - 24HP Honda or 25HP Subaru ES, Electric start engine

MisterSawmill (Model 26) - Honda 20 H.P. twin cylinder, electric start engine.

Tow Package:
Model 26 - Both versions; the 12' or 18' come with the tow package included in the price. 

EZ Boardwalk 40 - The tow package is optional and cost an additional $600.00. However, it does include the log turner with the package. 

These are a few of the biggest difference I noticed between these two mills.  It is up to you and your needs which one would be the best option.  Both seem to have their advantages! 

You did not mention the type of disability, so I would not be able to address that issue directly. I will assume if you are considering one of these then you understand the potential limitations for certain types of disabilities.  I personally have a dis(ability). Yet, it will not interfere with having to manually push a mill.

Feel free to message me or reply to this topic if you have any further questions.  I am doing plenty of my own research and am happy to share information.  I will be purchasing either a used EZ Boardwalk Jr., or a new Woodland Mills HM 126.   ;D
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

paul case

Ez boardwalk MDL 40 will swallow a 40'' log but the max board width cut is 36''. PC
pc

peanuts roost

Thanks. I think most of my milling will be Loblolly Pine mostly 14 to 20 inch. Also have a lot of Red, White and scrub Oak  18 to 26inch. I have some trouble with my heart and had 4 disc in my neck and 2 in my lower back ruptured. I can do pretty good except jerking recoil starters that is why i definately want electric start.But I have alot of time and not in a hurry.

thecfarm

peanuts roost,welcome to the forum. With that much damage I would keep away from wood in general. Hard to handle logs,lumber. But maybe that's what is keeping you going.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ozarkian

Quote from: peanuts roost on January 24, 2012, 01:32:13 AM
I am also disabled but hope to purchase a small mill in the next few weeks for my own use only.
I would suggest consulting with your Primary Doctor prior to any purchase to make sure you are physically capable of running a sawmill without further injuring yourself.  If you have family, possibly they could run the mill for you if the doctor does not clear you. 

Quote from: peanuts roost on January 24, 2012, 01:32:13 AMI hope I'm not breaking any rules asking for advise
I believe that is what this forum is all about, getting AND giving advice.  Ask as many questions as you like.  ;D

8) 8) Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 8) 8)

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

plowboyswr

Steve Phillips by what I've read you're building your own mill. I'm guessing that you're gonna set it up as a manual, why not build with the intent of usin hydrolics on it later. Guess what I'm tryin to say is to make sure that your design is easily modifided when you get the funds and time to add it. Working with limited funds is doable just takes longer.  :D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

paul case

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on January 24, 2012, 12:24:27 AM
Welcome steve phillips, for what its worth I have pushed P. Cases mill through wood and it is a lot easier than my mill. PC's is a boardwalk and mine is home build not on angle. The angle does help pull the head through the wood. bg

Has anyone else ever tried the ez and another mill to compare? Just curious. PC
pc

steve phillips

howdy all
hey ozarkian  i always TRY hehee to do what the doc says but like my mama said  " boy you are one hard headed child '' LOL what more can i say . but all joke aside i do listen and hes cool .
  howdy plowboyswr
yeah i am building a home made mill .  it will oneday be a lot of hydralics on it . but for now got a lot of fencing i need to build this summer . i have about 1/2 of tall poplars to cut on , some are close enough to end up in bed with me one nite

peanuts roost

Appreciate the concern. But I have friends to help and I can't stay inside. Had a long talk with Ezboardwald today and planning on ordering a Ezboardwalk jr with optional 15 hp subaru with electric start. Not very familure with subaru but does have 3year warranty. Sounds pretty good to me. What do ya'll think? opinions will be very appreciated. Thanks

paul case

I say, I think, I say,I think you made a wise choice. The ez boardwalk mdl40 is a tough rugged well though out ,very user friendly mill and the jr. is a chip off the old block.   You will be sawing logs day and night! PC
pc

steve phillips

howdy all
i just like to say you guys are great , thanks for all the help.
           steve

peanuts roost

Steve ,Hope you post pictures as you build your mill. Good Luck!

steve phillips

howdy peanuts roost
thats a good idea im charging the battery in camera as we speak
  i got the drive axle hub finished , will finish the idler shaft today i hope. will send pictures
i have a picture to take when i go to my moms of a log left on loading deck , its white ash and across the stump its at least 4ft if i remember right. should be some pretty wood its from the swamp area down home.

eastberkshirecustoms

Thank You Sponsors!