iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting walnut

Started by sully, January 22, 2012, 09:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sully

I am taking down about 20-30 walnut trees.  I have dropped a couple.  I believe these are veneer logs.  they are about 32" at the base and 24" diameter 18' up.  How do these measure up at the mill.  they are straight with no branches up to this point.  there are a couple of trees with a small branch (2") about 15 ft up.  will they buy this as veneer or do I cut at the branch?  also do I cut these in shorter lengths or leave them as long as i can cut them?  thanks I appreciete it.   sully

beenthere

I'd find a veneer buyer before I did any cutting to lengths. The buyer is the only one that can make the decision, as I see it. If you do the bucking, you takes your chances.
IMO
Any pics?

Walnut trees are usually taken down flush with the ground, and often are sold as standing timber. But this varies.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sully

Thanks   the two i did cut i took flush to the ground.  there are not alot of buyers in nebraska.  I am taking the two I have cut to midwest walnut to take my chances.  they have answered a few of my questions but I dont want to waste these logs.  the two I am taking in are 16 and 18'.  Thanks for your reply. 

Ron Wenrich

Keep them a little long, if you can.  A lot of times they like to trim the ends up.  With that many trees, I would think you could get a log buyer on the job site.  Don't forget that the logs that do have limbs also have value.  Its not veneer, but its sawlog value.  Better than leaving it lay.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kansas

What part of Nebraska are you in?

thecfarm

I've never cut walnut,don't have much of it in Maine,but I do understand the value of cutting logs to grade.One wrong cut can turn a white pine log into a #3 real quick. A walnut log you lose more than $100.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sully

thanks for your replys,  I am north of lincoln 30 miles.  the log sections that are not veneer I am going to mill myself.  I also have probably 100 large ash and locust (I think) that I am going to mill.  Just dont know what I am going to do with the wood But its better than the burn pile.    thanks   sully

Hans1

I am currently working on a similar project. have cut and skidded about 70 trees to a landing. all cutting went well only put a crack in one butt log on a heavy leaner. Trying to hire a local guy to help marking for bucking to length to help with grade. Hoping about 10 of these will have veneer potential. good luck be safe.

Kansas

Sully, you might try Meisters in Endeavor Wisconsin and see if they have a log buyer in your area. If they come clear down to Kansas I would think they would be in your area. Its been the best market so far we have found. They will also pick up. Its wintertime, so you should be able to cut them all down and lay them out.

Thank You Sponsors!