iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Oak log on Stumpy's mill

Started by Rooster, January 22, 2012, 09:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Hey there,
This White Oak log was in pile of logs to be cut up for an OWB...I traded some silver maple firewood logs for it and brought it home.  My good friend and fellow FF member Stumpy brought over his WM and he made some boards and beams for future tables. The slabs are 24" x 6/4 and 5/4.

Maybe Stumpy can chime in and give us a better "play by play" of the milling process of this oversized "chunk"

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Clam77

Good looking boards there Rooster - make someone a nice kitchen table.   :)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

cypresskayaksllc

How many bdft did you come away with?
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Magicman

I love to see lumber sawed from logs destined for firewood.  Now that big old log can live and be enjoyed for many years to come.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Great job on saving a nice log! That will make some very nice project material.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stumpy

Well, let me tell ya, I usually saw alone and if this were my log, I may have burned it cause it's so big.  If you know Rooster, you know he's one of those "old school" can do anything kinda guys, so we just jumped in and started wrestling it.  Actually, it wasn't too bad.  Rooster had the farmers skidsteer and it handled it no problem.  The toughest part was turning it.  My LT30 is manual, but I replaced the hand winch with an electric 2500# unit, but that log was a bit too much for it. I ended up just gently lift/turning it with the forks.  The mill groaned a bit, but handled it fine.  I was surprised that it cut so well for being dry white oak.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I bet that your mill was moaning groaning!  Mine would have been screaming  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stumpy

I use Lennox Woodmaster C from Menomonee saw.  I don't know what degree they were.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

samandothers

Very nice looking lumber!   

My brother has a large red oak that was taken down in his front yard.  I would like to haul it to a saw mill and have it cut up.  I would use some pieces for a bench and a table top.

It is great to see such logs put to good use.

customsawyer

Great job you two. Nice to see that I am not the only one nuts enough to try to saw those biguns.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

cutterboy

I too am very happy to see that big old log put to good use. Good job, both of you.

Two years ago I cut down two white oaks and sawed the logs into mostly 4/4 boards. The lumber sold quickly when I advertised it. I think it's time to go after some more.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Magicman on January 22, 2012, 09:31:59 PM
I love to see lumber sawed from logs destined for firewood.  Now that big old log can live and be enjoyed for many years to come.   smiley_thumbsup
Ditto , I feel fine trim and flooring perhaps furniture wood is a much more noble cause for such a noble tree as the mighty oak than firewood .

5quarter

Jake...you're not the only one crazy enough to saw em, just the only one who has so much fun doing it.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

I guess that makes me a little crazier than most. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!