iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

By-Pass Door Will Not Seal on E-2300

Started by KMAN, January 22, 2012, 05:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KMAN

My Pass door will not seal on my E-2300 Outdoor Wood Burner. I have spent hours yesterday and today trying to get this door to seal. There is no build up around the door i have loosen the bolts and retighten and it still smokes. I know it is coming from there because i have the rear chimney cap off and can look into it and see the smoke coming out. I have cleaned from the inside of the fire box and the back side of the by-pass door. Has anyone had that door bend and not seat correctly? If so how the heck do you replace it. I for some reason just can not get this thing to seal. I am sure this is my burning issue also because when it is not burning smoke trickles from the stack, so i am sure that if i could get it to seal right i could get this thing to burn better. any help would be great. KMAN

doctorb

There was an upgrade to the mechanism that opens and shuts that bypass door.  It was installed by my dealer over a year ago, so it's nothing new.  I have no idea what else the problem could be.  I would call your CB dealer and show him your problem.  I'll bet it has to do with a counter weight somewhere, as you can feel the door shut snugly when it's working normally.  Keep us posted.

There is one 2300 user on the FF (Ican't remember which member, sorry) that had his bypass door seal shut and not longer uses it.  So, as a stopgap measure, you could wedge something in there to hold it firmly closed until you find out how to fix it.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

stumper

I actually spoke to CB sevice and the guy told me he had a 2300 and never used the by-pass because it stuck.  Accordingly, I know the absolutely know there is a defect in the by-pass.  Please keep us updated with your repair. 

Doc was the upgrade a warranty item :D.  Sorry, I know better how much did it cost and could you describe it and its installation.

doctorb

Yes, under warranty and the part was free.my dealer asks me to pay him whatever I think his time is worth.  So I pay him a little above reasonable so he listens when I call. In fact, my dealer was having a problem with a 1400 unit elsewhere and he was getting frustrated with it.  He called me to chat and see if I had any ideas.  So we have a good relationship.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

I was not actually there when the upgrade was performed.  I think it had something to do with the brackets that hold the rotating rod that opens and shuts the bypass door.  Just my recollection.  Dependent upon when your 2300 was built, this may already be in your unit.

KMAN

That is what is weird about this i stopped using the bypass door 2 years ago and it was so built up that i dont see how could start to smoke but now it does. I have since cleaned it all out scrapped it all around and it still smokes. Tonight i actually took That black sealant for 3000 degress plus and smeared it all around that best i could reach in to try and seal it. if i did not know better I would say it is cracked around there but i will surley call my dealer tomorrow and see if he can do a update. Thanks for the info

island

Had the same problem.Took off back panel on control side and added 2 washers under the spring which then made the damper close tighter,also found out if you leave the damper open once in awhile with a good fire going it burns all the creosote off.I fought with this problem for over a year until I figured it out,if the damper will not open at times don't be afraid to yank on the handle,it will open.Seems like when I burn softwood the damper sticks more.

stumper

OK the rep at CB advised not forcing it open with the handle but to use a stick and tunk it from the inside.  Accordingly in my tools is a 4 foot hardwood stick I use to poke the by-pass loose.  Then it open easily with the handle.

KMAN

OK.
I have not open by-pass door since i wrote the first time. I even but Hi-temp sealer on the back to seal it and it now seems to have sealed up. Still smokes a little at shut off but not near as bad and i would expect some at that time when it comes off of burning. Anyway I think some of my problem may have been my Main door seal was leaking. This summer my dealer installed a new door since the old one was warped and i think he set the latches to tight and when i would close and lock it, it would go so hard that i think it was pulling it away from the side hinges. I loosen the ball locks on the stove and slide them out and door opens and shuts much easier and i see no smoke from the seal, so i think he had it to tight that it would pull it way on the other side. Anyway that may change next week as something else may show up but for now seems like my stove is running nice. I do wish CB would give a better credit to buy these older ones out towards a new 2400 because i think for my piece of mind if i had to lay out $2,000.00-$4,000.00 to get the newest machine I think i would od it just for my piece of mind. anyway my bed is made so now i have to lay in it and be satisfied. If it starts to leak again i would remove all the covers and try some washers to but more tension on it nad chances are that will be when it is 10 degrees outside. If only this winter would get cold so i can brag to my friends about my free heat more. Thanks for all your help. Keep the post coming about these 2300's because it is very helpful to me to help make mine burn better.KMAN

doctorb

Kman-

I had the exact issue with my door.  Had a little leak on the hinge side,tightened the door closing mechanism, and the leak got worse.  I think that, if you make the non-hinge side too tight, it levers on the door hinges and opens them slightly.  You did right and you did good!

Thank You Sponsors!