iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How's my Buns Look?

Started by Norm, January 21, 2012, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Made you look.... :D

I got a new mixer for Christmas that's meant for making bread.

It's a Bosch Universal Plus mixer that handles larger batches of bread dough much better than my Kitchen Aide. I make most of own bread but have never been very good at making buns. So a couple of days ago Patty bought some hot dog buns and I about croaked when I saw how much they go for. So today I mixed up a batch of buns to see if they'd turn out very good.

My only problem was they raised really well which isn't all bad. If you don't hear from me for a couple of days it's because I'm in a hamburger and hot dog coma.  :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Them look good enough ta eat.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Left Coast Chris

Those are good looking buns Norm....

I was relieved to know this wan'nt "way to much information"  :) :D
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Mooseherder

Those look like a good idear. 8)
Gotta get one now.  It's like free advertising for Bosch. :D
The buns at the store can't be this good.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

I went past this topic about three times before I had the courage to take a look. Was afraid that I'd see that picture again.  :D :D

That's an awsome machine. Is it really big enough to block out that window in the background?

My wife put away her bread machine and just yesterday I asked her about it and she made a bunch of excuses. Things like "your never home" and "the yeast is probably too old." So I guess it's just store bought bread for me. And it would be too much to take it with me on the job.  :( 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WildDog

Norm that machine and those rolls look great, Nicky had a look and just said "wow"

QuoteI was relieved to know this wan'nt "way to much information"
:D I'll pay that Chris :D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

Well I'm back to report they were as good as they looked.

Cod slabs on a fresh bun was very tasty.

Gary Furby and me were talking in the background about switching the picture of my buns with BBQ boy after MM's comment. Wouldn't of he been surprised!  :D

Magicman

Quote from: Norm on January 22, 2012, 08:25:39 AM
Gary Furby and me were talking in the background about switching the picture of my buns with BBQ boy after MM's comment. Wouldn't of he been surprised!  :D 

Surely ya wouldn't do that to an old man.   :o :o   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Yep, those are award winning buns...and the rolls look good too!   :)

Say when

DoubleD

May you write down the recipe for these buns, please? They look very tasty
Wannabe a sawmiller

Norm

Ingredients

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg

Instructions

In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120 degrees F (50 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
Divide dough into 12-16 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover, and let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
For Hot Dog Buns: Shape each piece into a 6x4 inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, and pinch edges and ends to seal. Let rise about 20 to 25 minutes. Bake as above.

Only thing I do different than the recipe is proof the yeast in a little warm water to activate.

Good luck!

Weekend_Sawyer

You made me look and I was not disappointed! :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Buck

Nice Norm! I sure like it when you're sharing the cooking adventures.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

isawlogs

Had me open that with my eyes closed and then opening them with my hand in front of them and slowly opening my fingers to form a crack ....   ;D

They look good,  the slab of fish on that bun got my attention.  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Man, a fish sandwich like that one would sure be good right about now  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

We're trying to mix fish in our diet but as I've said before it's tough to do in the midwest. Tons of frozen shrimp available but most is from asian countries. I found frozen cod loins at Sam's club that aren't too bad. I'll make up some extra and we have them for our lunch. This batch got a sprinkling of old bay seasoning and it really tasted good.

LOGDOG

I was going to say ...that's a really good looking fish sandwich. That cod looks especially tasty. Hard to find good fresh cod in the seafood case around here. May have to give Sam's a try.

The white bass start running in the Sabine River in mid to late February. They're in their by the hundreds of thousands. May go load up on them. They have a real nice, clean, white fillet that fries up real well. Nice and meaty too. Might have to make some home made buns myself and try this recipe.

terrifictimbersllc

Me hungry.  Even after the title of your post.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DoubleD

This is how mine looks  ;D

I had to check on urbandictionary why some of you were not willing to take a look at Norm's buns :D :D

The other evening i fixed bbq hamburgers with cheese, radicchio salad, diced tomatoes rubra sauce and mayonnaise.  food2 musteat_1

thanks for the recipe Norm the bread is very good
Wannabe a sawmiller

Patty

Great job DD!  Those look good enough to eat!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Clark

Since no one else has done it, allow me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxo9wGA9qYg&noredirect=1

Oh, and great buns Norm!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

LOGDOG