iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just bought a new Do-Dad.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 21, 2012, 01:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've always loved woodworking and generally my work was done the primitive way... :)...with what ever I had.

I sure wish I had the talent some of you guys have but spend most of my time on the sawmill.

I just bought a toy from LOWE'S and I know it will help me a lot.
I watched the VIDEO and it talked about the screws I need for different types of wood.

Do I really need to order KREG screws or does LOWE'S stock the kind of screws I need for pocket hole applications?
I just hate  >:( ordering screws when I can use a screw I can just buy in a store while I'm already there.

Thanks Ya'll!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

There are wood worker websites that offer deals on those types of screws. I will have to go back and look to answer the next question ;)  nice tools though!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Texas Ranger

Lowes (down here) have them, if not, builders supply houses also have them.   (clarification:  good builders supply houses)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hate ordering ANYTHING!!!!   :D

In my case, I usually don't get what I need or what I THOUGHT I needed and then there is the WAITING on the mail factor!

No what I mean?  :)

isawlogs

I buy my screws at the hardware store here. Just bring the screw with you and ask them for that type of screw, I have 1¼", 1½", 1¾" and 2" zinc coated wood screws. Works for me.

Nice way to put things together, in certain places that you can't get a clamp on when gluing , you can get away with a pocket screw, put the glue on and then put a pocket screw in as a clamp.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

zopi

From what I have seen pocket hole screws are pretty much the same..

But yeah, lowes carries the basics...I bought my pocket jig from them.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Larry

I've had that jig for a long time and went through a lot of screws.  If you use it much you will need 1", 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" screws.  And you need em in both coarse and fine thread so 6 different screws.  The different threads are for hardwood/softwood.  There's more choices but that covers most used.  I use more of the 1-1/4" fine thread than the rest combined.  I doubt if you will find them all at Lowes and the quality is a unknown.  Just as easy to order from McFeelys and have on hand what ya need.

If you just need a few screws I suppose Lowes would be the choice.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Clam77

If you have any actual old-style lumber yards around I would think they'd have them... those places are becoming far and few between anymore though.   :-\
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

WDH

Like Larry, I mainly use the 1 1/4" fine thread pan head pocket hole screws.  They are a lot cheaper to order in bulk.  It is amazing how fast you can go through a box of screws.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Pill

I've used the ones from McFeeleys, and the Kreg screws. I seem to remember that I found some 500 count Kreg screws at a good price from one of the mail order houses, but that was a long time ago. You'll love the jig. Very, very useful. And fast.

Bill Gaiche

POSTONLT40HD, you will like the pocket screw system. I have had one for over five years now and it really work great. As Larry said different screws for different woods and thickness. When using glue watch out for the wood will slide on you as you tighten the screws up. Clamp or hold in some way to achieve a straight line of the two pieces being mated together. McFeeleys, Lowes and Woodcraft handle these screws. I have bought from all of them and they all have been good. Check them out at there web sites. Buying in large boxes of a hundred or five hundred is the cheepest way to go. Good luck, bg

inspectorwoody

Lowes near me has some screws in stock and a few Kreg tools but I've found Menards has a better supply of Kreg screws and other Kreg items.

McFeeleys is a very good place to order screws from.

You'll like your new toy.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks for all the advice. I saw this pocket screw tool on a woodworking show. MADE MY MOUTH WATER!

I can only plane planks 12" wide. I figured this tool would really come in handy glueing and screwing these planks together to make a table top etc.

Some of the really nice Red Oak I have been milling and selling has made me want to keep some for myself and construct something to to give my son. I agree with ya'll....this tool might be worth it's weight in gold.  :)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 22, 2012, 10:51:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I saw this pocket screw tool on a woodworking show. MADE MY MOUTH WATER!

I can only plane planks 12" wide. I figured this tool would really come in handy glueing and screwing these planks together to make a table top etc.

Some of the really nice Red Oak I have been milling and selling has made me want to keep some for myself and construct something to to give my son. I agree with ya'll....this tool might be worth it's weight in gold.  :)

Pocket screws are useful in the right application(s) but I don't think joining boards to make a panel for a tabletop is really a good application. Most long grain glue joints don't need the reinforcement since the glue joint is typically stronger than the wood being joined. The screws would tend to be very close to the surface of the panel and if you had to plane or sand too much you could hit the screws...

No matter what your design, good luck with it and let us see some pictures...

Herb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Herb. I wanting my table top made out of 1 1/2" thick Red Oak. Now. I'm new to this, so using a plank this thick, will a screw still want to show on the opposite side?

One thing I plan on doing is to practice, practice, practice on scrap boards so I want be surprised somewhere down the line.  :)

Burlkraft

I agree with PC that pocket screws are great in the right application, and jointing boards for a table top is not one of them.
Most of the panels I glue up are jointed and glued. Sometimes with figured wood I use buscuits as  it likes to move around a lot.

The Kreg Jig is an excellent tool. I've had mine for a long time and it does come in handy.

I get my screws from McFeeley's in bulk. You'd be surprised at how fast you use them sometimes.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

I order all my screws from Lee Valley. Way cheaper to begin with. The stuff you buy around here will just snap off in the hole. PITA! You can't get, pocket,  SPAX, Robertson, slotted, or self drilling around here and I could go on.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OK Guys.....did a bunch of reading. Yep, just as ya'll said......use biscuits on a table top.

Will do!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Actually, biscuits are not necessary either. They may help in aligning the edges of the boards being joined but research has shown that they add little, if any, strength to a joint...

Good luck with your project.

Remember, no pictures, it didn't happen...

Herb

beenthere

Just necessary for alignment.....which is very important when joining edges and joints.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D Hagens

So is everyone absolutely happy with the Kreg tool? It looks like it could save time, is it dead accurate?

Larry

I've had my Kreg jig for maybe 10 or more years and think it's a great tool.  I use it for all of my cabinet face frames and a few other miscellaneous spots in a cabinet.  I'm talking kitchen type cabinets.

I've only had one problem when I was new to the jig.  Sometimes when the screw breaks through the first board there will be a little nub of wood or possibly the point of the screw pushes the second board back just a little.  I solved that little obstacle with two different solutions.  The first was to glue a disc of sandpaper to the face of the vice grip clamp thing.  The second was to just clamp the face frame when driving home the screw.  Clamps are the positive fix.  Just recently found another fix.  Something from Rockler call the "Pock-it" jig.  Just another clamp thingy, but it looks really quick to use.  Ordered a pair last week, so I should be getting it in the next couple of days.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is this the clamp Larry? I looked it up and read about it. Looks like something I may order. Let us know how your work.

Burlkraft

I have some aluminum face frame clamps that have come in handy for things other than their intended purpose.

I have a couple of the 90* and a pair of the straight ones.

They have many uses, but work great on cabinet face frames too!  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

What does this Kreg tool do? Drill and screw or something? I've got a new drill press and set of screw drivers for that. Just kidding, just wanted to know what it was. ;)

Obscure photos of stuff I can't see to read begs a question, or two. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!