iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What happened to all the crows?

Started by chain, January 21, 2012, 08:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

T'was for decades around here the crow was one  the most numerous of winter birds. They were a most clever bird too, as they could sneak into the yard and steal our pecans. They  would first send in their scout; if all was clear, in came the whole flock ...but for the last several years crows are few and far between.

I can look across the fields this morning and instead of seeing hundreds of crows...guess what is out there now?

Seagulls!

pineywoods

They just moved a little further south. Flocks of then all around my place until a couple of days ago. They scattered when 2 red tail hawks took up residence.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Not to many crows here either!  Not that we want them!  ;)

South of us, in the Watertown area they actually hire people to come and dispearse them out of the city area!

Chain, your story reminds me of when I was stationed at Anchorage, Alaska.

When Spring arrived, the ravens would move out and the sea gulls would move in and just the opposite in the fall!

Probably the biggest factor in your case is the wierd weather we've been having over the past few years!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doctorb

Plenty here.  I drove by a field yesterday with at least 200 gathered.  We'll box up a dozen or so and send them to you.  I always loved watching the  infighting between crows and hawks or owls.  I feel sorry for the raptors, because the crows are relentless.  I have been able to identify a large number of hawks and owls because of this behavior, so I guess I should be grateful to them.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

They follow their food source.  They were thick here when our pecan crop was max.  Some places are overrun with Blackbirds.  Thousands.  Talk about yuck, stink, and noise.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

We have pretty good polulationd of hawks, eagles, falcons and owls here...they seem to really keep the populations under control.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

shelbycharger400

if its that cold out you need a hat on, chances are YOU shouldn't be in a canoe!

I have watched flocks of birds to that once like in the video.

Shotgun

Really neat YouTube video, Steve.  Thanks for putting it up.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

At least we now know what Starlings are good for.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

I'm happy to know there are crows around the country, I use to watch the crows as they would clamor and call when following  a bobcat or coyote...or owl across the woods.

We had a crow nest in a white pine in our yard, one day I heard this awful ruckus and squawking and I looked up to see a small crow falling to the ground dead. Another small crow had also been knocked from its nest by a group of bluejays and they had come down to finish the other little crow off. I saved it and put away three of the jays before mom and pop crow came in to the rescue and began dive-bombing me as I held the small crow.

I put the crow in a privet hedge and believe he survived to fly off. ???

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Autocar

The vido remined me my sister and I was in the back forthy and we saw a space ship and we hid in the corn feild  ;D , now years later I realized it was a flock of blackbirds
Bill

Texas Ranger

The video is a real good example of why you never look up with your mouth open. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 21, 2012, 01:25:07 PM
The video is a real good example of why you never look up with your mouth open. ::)

And, wear a wide-brimmed hat!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

The blackbirds are here and the robins just showed up.  Some daffodils are blooming now, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Patty

Wow, cool video Steve. At first I thought that was Jill in the canoe!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

west penn

Y'all know why crows never get hit on the hiway right?  There is always one nearby to holler  CAr   CAr

SwampDonkey

We get them flocking up in the fall. I know they migrate, but we still have some in winter along with the ravens. I can throw a piece of meat or bread out in the yard and the ravens know within minutes it's there. Most of the time you can see a big old fat raven roosting up in the spruce in the back yard. The darn things are like parrots. :)

Flight of crows:

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

We had a tree full of blackbirds yesterday evening.   :-\ :-\   I hope that they were just ahead of the weather front that passed through last night and are now long gone.

pineywoods

crow vs hawk.... This may have been deliberate, maybe accidental, but I saw it happen. Two mature hawks, one sittin in an obvious perch in a big pecan tree, the other circling about a thousand feet up. Flock of crows went for the one in the tree, raising a ruckus and tormenting the hawk unmercifully. Suddenly, BAMM, cloud of black feathers, dive bonb from 1000 feet. The crows never saw it coming. New definition for the term "eating crow"  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Burlkraft

Quote from: pineywoods on January 23, 2012, 09:36:06 AM
Suddenly, BAMM, cloud of black feathers, dive bonb from 1000 feet. The crows never saw it coming. New definition for the term "eating crow"  ;D

That's awesome!!!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Patty on January 22, 2012, 02:26:01 PM
Wow, cool video Steve. At first I thought that was Jill in the canoe!

I thought the same thing!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

What kind of blackbirds? rusty, grackle, red wing, tri-color. ??? I never had any trouble with any of them here. Just the nuisance starlings, they stay all winter. And not really much trouble here because they can't get into my buildings.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Morphed the subject into blackbirds.  ::) ::)

Thought it was crows, and they are still "up north"  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Maybe crows are blackbirds to, I don't know. ;D :D

beenthere

SD
Crows are black birds, but not blackbirds. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

I heard that the West Nile Virus took out  a lot of the crows in this area. NPR even did a segment on how the smaller groups reformed into new groups.

Up on the tree farms in WV we have a lot of crows and ravens. I like hearing the ravens talk.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on January 23, 2012, 11:43:05 AM
Morphed the subject into blackbirds.  ::) ::)

Thought it was crows, and they are still "up north"  :) :)
Black birds are just small crows.

Use yer imagination...... :D :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Beenthere I think some of our crows migrate. We are right on the edge of the winter/summer range where I live.  ;) In the fall the sky is full of them, so they must be the ones that leave from further north. Some places the ravens bother the curb side garbage. I've never had a bird ever touch my garbage. Just cats and dogs that roam about from neighbors. The ravens are pretty smart, so maybe they figure all the scraps are what I've tossed out and not in the garbage, who knows.  ;)

chain

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 23, 2012, 01:57:53 PM

I heard that the West Nile Virus took out  a lot of the crows in this area. NPR even did a segment on how the smaller groups reformed into new groups.

Up on the tree farms in WV we have a lot of crows and ravens. I like hearing the ravens talk.

Jon

Now that you've mentioned the WNV I'm remembering the virus infected several birds, maybe jays & robins too. But that's about the time the crow began to decline greatly around here. They may be federally protected in nesting season; Missouri has a March to November closed season on them
We have a cedar tree windbreak on the west side of our yard, several years ago we had a near blizzard, a 'white-out' I think the weather people called it. It blinded crows from flying to their roost,  about dusk the storm ended, the crows all piled in to the cedars from a field near the house, probably two or three thousand of them, they jabbered to each other all night.

Magicman

Unfortunately, the crows are alive and well in South Central Mississippi.   :-\

Thank You Sponsors!