iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Treefarmer C7T Transmission Update

Started by Autocar, January 20, 2012, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Not knowing exactly what to do or what direction to go I pulled the transmission on the 27 of November. I found a shop that was local that rebuilt earthmovers,roadgraders after he had it apart it amazed me how simple it worked but blew my mind on the fellow that came up with the first idea to build one. One thing I found interesting was the bearing races had like a key ways and this keep them fom spinning in the casting. I had it compleat overhaul kit with seals and gaskets,steels,frictions and o rings, the rebuild kit was $1,149.52 labor$870.00 I was tickled on the price and felt that it was a very fair deal. I had prices up to nine thousand to get it rebuilt so draging my heals a while may have paid off. When I pulled it I brought it up in the cab then turned it sideways removed the door and brought it out that way. I sure hope I can get it back in the same way I sure don't want to unbolt the cab and lift it off then set the transmission back in. Weight wise I figure between a thousand and fourteen hundred pounds. I received alot of information from this site on directions to go, sometimes not understanding what they ment exactly and want to thank everyone for there expretease. I sent a number of P.M.s and with there help went that direction. I worked on getting yokes ect back on today and at eight degrees I decided I may have to wait a few days till it warms up a little to put it back in.
Bill

snowstorm

so i take it they got the springs in ok for the parking brake. did you replace the seals in the control valve. it will go in easy and work as it should....good luck

lumberjack48

I'm glad somebody showed you how basic they are. I did all the work on my Funk on till i got hurt, ounce you understand how it works your off an running.

The last time i fix mine, i put a low rpm torque converter, i could basically idle up the deck when pushing trees up. It was a complete different skidder , i didn't have to wind the 353 up to move. It burned about half the fuel.

Good Luck with that Ole girl  8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

Yep got the springs in  ;D a fellow just had to walk away and things go better the second time around. Valve bank taken care also, I can't wait to try her out but looks like I will have to wait till Tuesday to start putting it back in. It was three this morning with five inches of snow and tomarrow theres a chance of severe thunder storms and a high of 44 degrees with rain. I also had talked to Devco I believe there in Maine I tried to buy a few things but there so honest that they talked me out of it saying they didn't feel it would fix my problem. I believe the fellow I also talked with up there was Mario he's a walking Treefarmer manual very nice guy plus very happy to help a fellow out with a problem even though they weren't making any money from the call I can't thank them enough also. Bill
Bill

Ohio_Bill

Glad to hear that your skidder is on a recovery path. Sounds like your perseverance has paid off. I too am very thankful for the vast amount of information that is available here to help guide in making decisions.  Hope all goes back together well.  Here in south east Ohio we have an inch of ice on everything.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Stephen Alford

That is a task by yourself. Your skidder may be a  "looker" compared to mine, but I just drilled a couple holes in the roof, one centered over the transfer case and one centered over the transmission. Lowered a chain through.  Put in a couple of large gromits.   ::)
logon

Ohio_Bill

How is it going ?  From a weather standpoint ours is much better .  Hope it went back together and is working .
Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Autocar

Bill I started last Monday it was a blue bird day I got it back in and started bolting it into place and it started rainning cats and dogs around one. I got up at three thirty on Tuesday morning and worked till fout thirty and finished hooking all the hoses, my transmission oil won't be in till this Monday so it's just a waiting game. Ive got all the filters changed shes ready to go. Not to change the subject but whats your red oak market doing ? It seems pretty slow over on this side of the state one of my buyers told me if your paying 15 cents on the stump your paying to much ! Crap I would never buy anything paying that. 
Bill

Ohio_Bill

Bill, The last red oak I sold ranged form 900 to 300...  They will give 300 for anything oak solid  down to 11 inch  that is  14 ft long , it is for a contract they have long term .Normally I would make tie logs out of them so if they will go 14 ft  I let them go .  The low grade white oak I still cut tie logs because almost every white oak is solid and I have very little rejects with white oak.
Bill

Autocar

Went to town to pick up the oil and they shipped the wrong weight !  >:( Back to square one  :D
Bill

snowstorm

go buy some tdh fill it up and try it i cant wait much longer to see if it works ok. my book said tdh or motor oil. my cat loader also uses motor oil in the trans

Autocar

I know where your coming from Snowstorm I want to try it also  :D The fellow that rebuilt it said what your saying 30 weight motor oil would work fine but I figured sence I went this far I might as well get everything right.
Bill

snowstorm

Quote from: snowstorm on January 30, 2012, 05:52:57 PM
go buy some tdh fill it up and try it i cant wait much longer to see if it works ok. my book said tdh or motor oil. my cat loader also uses motor oil in the trans
what kind of oil are you waiting for?

Autocar

Bill

snowstorm

Autocar

On the ceiling of the cab it tells what oils to use for everything on the skidder. So I wrote down what it called for for the transmission and after matching it up this is what they come up with  ::). They said this morning it should be in by Wedesday noon.
Bill

Reddog

Autocar

From my understanding it's used in earthmovers, D8's any type of equipment that gets worked hard.
Bill

Autocar

Oil came in today everything seems to work ok. First second third and reverce had a small leak where the temp. gage screwed in but tightened everything is fine. When I throw it into neautral it will coast now before as soon as you put it into neautral it was like a brake was applied. Now all we need is frozen ground and I will give it the real test. Thanks again for everyones help Bill
Bill

snowstorm

mine are set up so when its in netural the brake is on. glad she is all together and running

Ed_K

Good luck on the frozen ground  ;D,I stoped my job on wed.
Great to hear the 7s up and going.
Ed K

Ohio_Bill

Have you had a chance to put the skidder to work yet?  Not sure if the weather has cooperated or not. We are getting snow in Southeast Ohio today.
Bill

Autocar

BILL I got back today it's the first sence the 15th of November. I pulled logs from eight till noon and my temperature came up slow but once it reached 195 it didn't go any higher. Real pleased with the pulling power it pulls in third as good as second, now all I got to do is fine some dryer ground it was plenty wet where I was but with 24.5x32's they stay on top a bit better then narrow tires.I have a few jobs but know body will let me start them because its so wet around here today it was snowing but was only thirty degrees. Ive lined up a few smaller jobs where I can slip in and make three or four skids and be done. Not big money, but its better then messing around in the shop all day.
Bill

mad murdock

Great to hear you got 'er up and going again Autocar!  Always like to hear a happy ending :)
Now if Mother Nature would just lend a hand, eh?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

Keep that Detroit wound up tight Autocar we don't want that tran slipping.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!