iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw n00b with MS 361

Started by Wayne64SS, January 20, 2012, 10:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne64SS

I picked up my MS 361 over summer off local craigslist. This thing is / was immaculate and I'd been looking for a good saw for awhile and I've always heard good things about Stihls so I bought it. Came with owners manual, a case of 50 gas, and 3 new chains plus the one on it. It's got an 18" bar. I paid $500, and was happy to do so.

I've since used it to cut down 8 or 9 pine trees on my property and then cut them into firewood. Overall I like the saw, but feels like it should have more power, it does tend to bog. I don't have any idea if the chains that came with it were good, but they were Stihl chains.

How often should a chain last before sharpening? They seem to stretch quickly and dull quickly. Could definitely be me though.

I always keep it full of lube, and ran through all that 50 gas. Haven't touched it in awhile as it's now winter. Any tips or tricks would be awesome. I keep reading about a muffler mod but have yet to find a good writeup for my saw. Anyone have a picture walkthrough?!

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne64SS

oh wow. I just read the thread below about chain sharpening and I am totally screwing that up. That video was super helpful.

Al_Smith

You'll find as time goes on that a sharp chain will work better than all the mods you could do to a saw . ;)

T Welsh

John Mc

Too all the chain sharpening advice and videos you can find here, and in other places, I'll add one gem told to me by an old-timer:

You don't sharpen a chain because it got dull, you sharpen it to keep it from getting dull.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cut4fun

Sharp chain and then wake the animal inside the 361 with a simple muffler mod and carb re-tune.

sawguy21

All it might need is setting the carb to run at proper rpm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Wayne64SS

Quote from: Cut4fun on January 20, 2012, 09:22:13 PM
Sharp chain and then wake the animal inside the 361 with a simple muffler mod and carb re-tune.

That's what I'm talking about!!! Any tutorials on the muffler mod? I assume tuning is like any 2 stroke? you want light smoke at full rpm / throttle?

John Mc

Madsen's has a great link on tuning a chainsaw. Includes an audio file for learning to tune by ear (once you develop the ear for it, it's probably more reliable than tuning by exhaust appearance).

Try this: Madsen's Chainsaw Maint & Repair and then click on the "saw tuning" link.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Wayne64SS

beenthere

The link took me to Madsen's, not Menards.
But good link for tuning, thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on January 23, 2012, 11:51:08 AM
The link took me to Madsen's, not Menards.
But good link for tuning, thanks.

Oops... need to engage brain before typing. I went back and corrected it in the original post. Not sure why I had Menard's on the brain...

tcrew

Quote from: T Welsh on January 20, 2012, 06:51:35 PM
I second what Al said,Tim
and i 3rd that! sharp chain is better than any mod.
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

Thank You Sponsors!