The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Trailer Hitch on a Skid Steer???  (Read 5877 times)

Offline Tdawg

Trailer Hitch on a Skid Steer???
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about building a kind of hybrid log arch/skidding winch (I'm a welder/fitter by trade). Anyway, I have a Cat skid steer and it would be a lot nicer to pull the unit from the rear than using the attachment plate and dragging it while driving in reverse. Has anyone added a trailer hitch to the rear end of a skid steer? And if so has it caused any problems?

Thanks.

Offline Holmes

• Senior Member x2
  • 1840 house
Re: Trailer Hitch on a Skid Steer???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
The back end of my ASV has a place for a hitch built in.
Think like a farmer.

Offline Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Another "traveling man"
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
Dawg, just watch your hyd temp....I have run into this plowing and drum chopping(dozers). Just a suggestion, but I'd try it.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Offline Tdawg

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
Done deal, I'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks

Offline Bobus2003

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
I've seen it done a time or two.. seems to work well.. ASV has a receiver tube built into the machin on the rear for a winch.. seen that used as a hitch

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
On an older Bobcat (perhaps others with "operable" rear doors), you could use the area inside the rear door on each lower side near the battery to create a mount point working to the center and then extending the reciever tube rearward thru a hole cut in the door, thereby allowing normal door funtion by simply removing whatever male reciever tube you had in the hole. It is a good idea.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »
If I had a skid steer, I would probably have a hitch on it myself.  That said I would be very careful pulling anything of weight on wheels behind me going down a hill.  That short wheelbase might have you in trouble pretty quick and I doubt the brakes are designed to stop a whole lot more weight than the machine itself.
I had a good size load of logs push my tractor down a hill once and it wasn't fun.
Since then it has been lighter loads, higher revs and slower speeds.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline allmosdone

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
 Dawg, one very important point. Your skid steer(and all of them) is designed to carry a lot of weight UP FRONT! I think any weight on the rear may upset the balance of the machine. Riding wheelies all the time might be fun, but your gonna loose the traction and manuverability that is built into that loader. Preety sure thatswhy most skidsteer equipment hitches to the front. That being said, go for it! you'll be the first to know if it won't work, or if it's gonna create a safty problem. Good luck! Stay Safe!!! 
If It Was Easy, Everyone Would Be Doimg It Every Day                  Buckaroo Bonzi             Make freinds,you'll be glad you did.  CRA

Offline westyswoods

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
I've done a couple. The first being on a Prime Mover and the second on a Bobcat 773. I build a rear guard across the back door as working in close quarters can't count the times I slammed into trees. Guard slid into receivers welded on both side of rear and then pinned so could remove. Hitch was mounted on the guard. No problem and it sure is a lot better skidding going forward. Do have to be cautious of weight but can always counter with something in bucket.

Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Offline Tdawg

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:09:02 AM »
Trust me boys, I know all about rockin' an rollin' inside a skid steer. That being said, any design would have to keep the tongue weight to a minimum...and a couple of boulders handy to throw in the bucket. The more I think about it (and the more suggestions I get), the more I think it will work.