iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long-winded comments about Cooks Saw

Started by Nomad, January 19, 2012, 08:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Awhile back I got in on the generous offer from this company to try out a couple of their bands.  I promptly trashed one on a log full of nails.  It was a surprise to me when James from Cooks Saw offered to send another one to let me give it a real tryout.
     I recently did that in Slash pine (SYP) and Cypress.  These were pretty dirty logs.  (Around here "dirt" really means "sand.")  Tough on blades.  I was truly impressed with how well this blade held up.
     Some time back I bought a used Cat Claw sharpener and setter.  I tried to set it up the other day and found I was missing some parts.  Called Cooks to order the parts; they'd ship shortly.  I wanted this stuff working RIGHT NOW, so I took a ride out there the next day to get the stuff.  They had the parts waiting for me when I walked in.
     I was highly impressed with the ladies in the office, both on the phone and in person.  They were knowledgeable about the equipment and very helpful.  I left with parts lists and operating instructions; all things I didn't have.  And even though I didn't buy the equipment from them, nobody mentioned anything about a price!
     Tried to get things working and was still having problems.  I didn't figure there was anything wrong with the machinery.  Operator error, no doubt.  Monday morning I called early and got a sharpener expert on the phone as he walked in the door.  He got to start his week off helping some newbie figure out what I was doing wrong.  And it worked!
     I also ordered a dozen new bands and a cam for some of my others.  I was told they were a bit behind on orders and it would most likely be today before they'd be ready.  No problem; It'll be first of the week before they're here.
     I was pleasantly surprised to walk in this evening and find a box of new blades and a new cam waiting on my doorstep. 8)
     This is the sort of service that makes a company a pleasure to deal with.  Thank You, Cooks Saw!

Bill
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

cypresskayaksllc

Did you see any helicopters flying around?
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

5quarter

Bill...lucky you! I'd love to get a tour of the place myself, except I'm afraid one of those big red mills would follow me home! ;) 

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All though I am  happy WOODMIZER owner, I have always heard nothing but POSITIVE things about COOK'S SAWS.
There's good people everywhere! Just look on the left of this page!   smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I have a Wood-Mizer mill and a Cook's Cat Claw sharpener.

I have never had anything but excellent service/help from either company!

I would guess that dealing with any of the other companies that sponsor the Forestry Forum would be the same.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

CooksSaw

Bill,

Thanks for giving us an opportunity to serve you.
If there's anything else you need, just let us know.

Take care,
James Osmond
Cook's Saw
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

Riggs

Awesome, that's what I love about this site, everyone is here to help everyone, especially the sponsors.  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

musikwerke

You know the old saying about there's always two sides to every story?  Well, here's mine.  Just a few weeks ago, after much research and question asking, I was ready to give Cook's my credit card number for a new sharpener and dual tooth setter.  The package was on sale.  I asked for the second cam to be for the Wood-Mizer blades because those are the only ones I own.  I was told that the sharpener came with only the Cook's cam and if I wanted the Wood-Mizer cam it would be the original price which was $400.00 more.  I was told that I could buy the Wood-Mizer cam for the $175.00 cam price after I took delivery of the order.   No amount of talking would change this woman's mind so I ended the call and then called back later and asked to speak with Tim Cook.  His exact words to me were "we aren't going to do anything that will promote a competitor's blade."  The rest of the story is, they actually did promote a competitor's blade because now my blade strategy is to run Wood-Mizers until they die and then buy new ones.   
John

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

taw6243

It never pays to be snotty about a competitor. They got what they deserved in my opinion.
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

WH_Conley

I got a Cooks blade a few weeks ago on trial. I used it, sharpened it on my Wood-Mizer sharpener, with the WM cam. It followed the profile better than the WM blades do on the first sharpening.
Bill

musikwerke

I know that Cook's is a good company with good customer service and I know that they build quality, rugged equipment.  That's why I wanted to buy their setter / sharpener.  They sent me the demo DVD and a quote for shipping so they knew that I was interested.  They offered to send me a trial blade also and I told them that if it turned out to be half as good as they claim, I'd most likely buy more .  But, I still had other blades that needed sharpening.  Nothing I said could change their mind.  No "laundry to air" beenthere, just facts.
John

Chuck White

That's really hard for me to believe musikwerke.

I bought my Cat Claw sharpener and setter in '09, and they installed a cam and even profiled the rock (stone) to sharpen Wood-Mizer .045 x 1¼ x 158; 10° blades.

I explained to them that I had only ever used Wood-Mizer blades and they said they would set the sharpener up to what ever blade I desired.

As a matter of fact, Cook's still owes me a cam, because the sharpener comes with "your choice" of 2 cams.  Only problem was I don't know what I want for the 2nd cam.  Cook's still has it on record that they still owe me a 2nd cam.

My Opinion:  They are good people to deal with!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

smiley_gossip Don't ever do something that you can't talk about on the Forum.

It's good we have a place to talk about Good and Bad things about where we spend our money.

If MUSIKWERKE has had a bad experience with COOK'S it sounds like to me he explained it in a nice way.

Just saying.....

I respect opinions of those who have had a bad experience. That's what this place is all about.

FeltzE

I have a Woodmizer saw, Cooks sharpener, Baker edger.

Everyone has been awsome to work with, I've toured Cooks facility, albiet several years ago then again 2 yrs later, they were upgrading their manufacturing process and I'm sure still are.

Thinking about things I need some new stones I'd better call.

Eric

CooksSaw

Quote from: musikwerke on January 20, 2012, 08:48:59 PM
You know the old saying about there's always two sides to every story?  Well, here's mine.  Just a few weeks ago, after much research and question asking, I was ready to give Cook's my credit card number for a new sharpener and dual tooth setter.  The package was on sale.  I asked for the second cam to be for the Wood-Mizer blades because those are the only ones I own.  I was told that the sharpener came with only the Cook's cam and if I wanted the Wood-Mizer cam it would be the original price which was $400.00 more.  I was told that I could buy the Wood-Mizer cam for the $175.00 cam price after I took delivery of the order.   No amount of talking would change this woman's mind so I ended the call and then called back later and asked to speak with Tim Cook.  His exact words to me were "we aren't going to do anything that will promote a competitor's blade."  The rest of the story is, they actually did promote a competitor's blade because now my blade strategy is to run Wood-Mizers until they die and then buy new ones.

• The sharpener sale states that it comes with a Super Sharp cam as standard
  • A second cam can be purchased for $125.00 (Lenox, WM, etc.)
  • The standard sharpener that comes with any cam of your choice is $400 more, but anyone can still buy the sharpener that's on sale, plus buy an additional cam at $125.00 and still save money over the standard sharpener cost.
I am familiar with all that happened and you're right as there are two sides to the story. No one company can please everyone, and the beauty of it is for everyone is that this is a thriving market with a lot of quality companies that we are all free to choose from.

James
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

As "PAUL HARVEY" used to say....."Now you know 'THE REST' of the story". "Good Day".

IL Bull

I bought a Cooks band wheel and bearing upgrade for my Burg sawmill.  What a difference this made and I don't have to change those pesky bearings or tires anymore.  Thanks Cooks.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Banjo picker

I think they are alright folks.  I have one of their AC 36 mills and the cat claw sharpener sys....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

JFarmer

I bought a cook's cat claw sharpener about 4 yrs ago and I have never had any problems with it. Recently I bought a set of steel wheels from cook's for my LT 40 wm and I am very impressed with them. Tim cook said in his video if you want to really see what your mill is capable of doing, go to steel wheels and let me tell you that wasn't no lie. It really increased my production and I dont break blades as often, and I dont have to mess with those stupid belts anymore. When I ordered them I talked to james and he was really helpful and friendlly. Thanks cook's saw!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

petefrom bearswamp

Mostly good experience with cooks with a few minor glitches.
These were with band breakage at the weld.
James has been a fine example of good customer service.
I bought 20 or 30 blades a few years ago and they included a cam for my wm sharpener at no cost.
I am just finishing up sharpening my falls worth of both WM and Cooks blades.
The cam works well after a slight mod due to interference with the index pivot.
James sent me several blades which he told me are a different steel than the ones I had a problem with.
Haven't used any yet, but with our mild weather every week or so may fire the mill up.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!