iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bookcase Pictures

Started by shopteacher, February 08, 2004, 10:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Can't seem to get off my butt today and do anything constructive so figured I bore you folks with some more pictures. The first is a bookcase I built for my wife for Christmas (she claims that's the only way she gets anything). The doors have an etched floral design that I hope will show up enough for you to see.
  Then there is the T&G cherry floor. Inside the bedroom it runs 30" around the perimeter of the room and down the hall out the door two steps to a landing and up to the living room rug. That I made on my shaper and was cut by my friend on his woodmizer( I didn't own one then). The ends of the floor boards are tongued and the border is grooved. The green carpet is stretched and layed inside the border. The 1st door is going into the bedroom and the other is a pocket door that goes into the bath.  Just like to add that's the natural color of cherry.  The furniture makers put stain on it to mask the sapwood and blend it into one solid mass.

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Right Purty stuff, Teech 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Minnesota_boy

Man, that green carpet stretched up to the cherry flooring looks like a billiard table!  Where do you keep your balls?  ;D :o :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Minnesota_boy

As I look closer at that floor, I believe i would put the furniture on the carpet just so I could see all the wood flooring.  WOW!
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Cherry is beautiful wood isn't it? Put it in the hands of a skilled carpenter or artisan and the possibilities are enless.  I like diffuse hardwood grain, you can polish and shine it like glass. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

WOW  :o    That is beautiful Shopteacher. I love the cherry flooring.  The contrast with the green carpet is very dramatic.

What wood did you use in the bookcase? It is very nice. I really like the glass doors. I need some of those in my sewing room.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

shopteacher

Patty: The bookcase is also cherry, but hasn't had time to bring out the true patina of the wood. The floor is probably 8 years old and the bookcase a little over a year.  The corner of the dresser you see is cherry, but was bought through a furniture store and I believe they put a walnut stain on it to mask the case into looking like one solid color.  Cherry get deeper in color with age which is due partly to the ultraviolet rays in light.  The etching isn't hard to do, just tedious if you have to cut the stencil by hand.  They do sell stensils for etching.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Dugsaws

very nice Shopteacher, I love to see furniture or flooring or anything made from wood that people make themselves
Doug

WV_hillbilly

Nice looking projects  Shopteacher .  I too like the natural finish of wood . I like things better when it has  curly grain sapwood or other character that sets it off . I'll bet you got some ataboys for that bookcase .
Hillbilly

Frank_Pender

Thank you for sharing, teacher.   Well done. 8)
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

Lovely work!

I love hardwood floors, and the furniture is gorgeous, too.

RavioliKid

CHARLIE

You do beautiful work. I sure do appreciate seeing nice woodworking. Especially when I know what it takes to do it. Nice job!!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

Yup, that's mighty fine work shopteacher. Any cherry to spare?  ;) Just kidding, I have 1500 feet in the barn. Your making me want to go down to the shop, the only thing keeping me is it'd be cold in there. I got a stove and firewood there, but I don't trust the old flu ;)

Good excuse as any  :D  :D  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian_Bailey

Beautiful work shopteacher  8).  

I'm rather fond of cherry too!  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Paul_H

The colors in the wood are beautiful! A Deep Red that kind of grabs you.

Nice work shopteacher 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

redpowerd

pretty boring!  ::)
man thats nice stuff!
i wanted cherry floors, untill all my old black cherries got theived by a neighbor! >:( >:( >:(
i didnt know how it would turn out, guess i have to settle for this maple crap ::) :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Percy

Happenin stuff Teach.
You are a craftsman. I noticed the wooden sills on your window(s). Your house must be a tribute to fine woods and wood working. ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

SwampDonkey

The teach is in the heart of the best black cherry you'll find anywhere. Up here black knot infects every single tree in time. Looks like coon skatt on the branches and boles.

Ron Scott

Great wood working! There are some very talented people on this Forum.

Yes, PA is black cherry country. When I was on the Allegheny National Forest we would have timber sales that sold for over a million $$$ on the stump due to the black cherry.

The Allegheny was the "richest-little" national forest in the country with a good return to the taxpayers and the national treasury. Of course the envionmentalists have now changed that with their bans on logging in national forests. The Allegheny now sells very little timber  as do all national forests.
~Ron

slowzuki

Yup, all our cherry has black knot.  Kind of a nasty looking crud isn't it?  Could you message me some details on it Swampdonkey or start a post in tree and plant id?  I'll try and get some pics.

Ken

SwampDonkey

slowzuki

For the benefit of all, I'll start a new thread in tree and plant ID.

cheers

Gus

Shopteacher,
That is wonderful looking woodwork. Thanks for sharing it with us.
A little late getting to see some of this stuff but hey, better later than not at all. Seems we've been up to our armpits in snow and cold. :-/
 Seems there are so many things to do sometimes I find myself going round in circles in the barn yard. :)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

OneWithWood

Very nice, Shopteacher.  It is easy to see woodworking is a passion and not just an occupation for you.  I enjoyed the pics.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bill_B

Good work.
Cherry is such a nice wood to work with.
Bill B

Furby

Shopteacher,
The cherry flooring, is that 3/4"? I'm guessing there are tack strips for the carpet along the wood floor, but is the carpet and the wood pretty level with each other?

Thank You Sponsors!