iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved Sweet Gum

Started by Tom, December 05, 2001, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Now that most of you have no leaves, What is this?

Kevin

Tom

Kevin !!!

You're 33 1/3 percent correct. :D

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

Yep, that is sweet gum.  You got it Leeb.

Now to complete the puzzle,
What is this?

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

No, but I'll help you out.  How about starting with Dictyoptera. :-X

CHARLIE

Tom, if that ain't a beetle I don't know what it could be. It has hardened elytra for crying out loud! :o Their ain't no such word as Dictyoptera! Sheesh! Ya trying to confuse the exspurt? Huh?  ::)
 :P  Is it a Tumblebug....or a stinkbug.....or a blackbug? Or maybe a Sweetgumleafborer..... :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

OK, Charlie.  Your eyes must be pretty good.  Hmm Hardened Elytra huh, Hemiptera and homoptera share that trait to some extent with Coleoptera but Dictyoptera doesn't quite make it.  The first pair of wings are denser than the second but not hardened.  This is Blatteria, commonly called a cock roach but in its early nymphal stage.  I think it was a brown banded roach but I am not familiar enough anymore to make an identification without a picture.

Ya'll don't have many of these critters outside way up there do you? :D

CHARLIE

Well, that jes' plum warn't fair. A young nymphalmaniac cockroach. How in the name of the picture on a quarter do you expect us to figger that out 'specially when the picture was so tiny. SHEESH! >:(  If it twere a cockroach.....I hope you squshed him.............. ;D   We don't have roaches up here that I know of....but we got lots and lots of spiders. :-/
Charlie

rebocardo

I cut down a tree for only $50 because I thought it was a maple. After seeing the little burrs/nuts I then realized I made a mistake ... I see it has a medium firewood rating, so I guess all is not lost. Supposedly it is good for furniture, though considering all the oak I am cutting up, I can not see using it for anything except for trim.

Is it really sweet and tastes like gum if we chew the seeds?
:-D

Bro. Noble

Wasn't Coleoptera some woman that rode her horse around the town square in the alltogether?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

That was Lady Godiva,and she knew exactly what she was doing,where Coleoptera, was in denial.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

Thanks Paul,

That stuff was always hard for me to remember.  Which one of them gals was it that was carring on with that French dude Neopolitan?

Texas Ranger

Coleoptera was that Egypt gal, wasn't she?  
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Yeah. She got snakebit down in tha river swamp. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

Noble,I believe Neopolitans girl was Jehosaphat.Kind of a nervous,jumpy type.

Bro. Noble

Paul,

Jumping Jeosephat !!   ???      Doesn't ring a bell.   I must have missed Sunday school the week they had that lesson.

I'll take your word for it though.  

geography is more my field but I'm forgetting some of that too.  I was looking on the members map and I can't remember which one is Alaska and which is Hiwaaee.  Which is SE of Texas and which is SW?

Oh shoot,  I figgered it out.  I pushed Andy Fields name and the one SW of Texas had a tree turn red---------I'm no Punkinhead 8)

Paul_H

I thought that Jehosaphat jumped or something along the lines of Joshua blowing down the walls :-/ I just checked Kings and Chronicles and couldn't find anything of the sort.

Now I'm wondering where that saying originated from?

But we're getting off track.Coleoptera,she came from SE of Texas.

Tom

Jehosaphat was a wealthy king of Jerusalem. One day an army from the east march on Jerusalem to take his gold. Jehosaphat told the people not to worry that the battle would be his and Judas's on the following day. The people let out a joyous cry "Great Jumping Jehosaphat" . :D :D :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jehosaphat, King of Judah, was said to have lept up from his throne whenever he saw a torah scholar and embraced him and kissed him, calling  him "Father Father!" and "Rabbi! Rabbi!"; and "Mari! Mari!"  (i.e., "My lord! My lord!" in Aramaic.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
hmmmmmmmm-m-m-mmmm

Paul_H

And I'll bet that the gold was hidden in Noah's Ark of the covenant,huh Tom ;)

Tom

Actually because of its weight, the anchor of noah's ark was made of gold.  It dragged on the bottom after the flood and hung up on Arrarat and jarred Noah so bad that he convened with the lord to beg for his life. They arrived at a miscible agreement only if Noah would rename the Ark to "The Ark of the Covenant" to honor this convening.  It was previously called by Noah, "The Arc of a Circle" but God never did like that. :)

Paul_H

Tom,I don't know where you are gideon your information,but you might want to run for cover! :D

Thank You Sponsors!