iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Duds

Started by Magicman, January 18, 2012, 04:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

No, I am not talking about my SIL.  For 10 years of sawing I have always worn a welder's leather waist apron to protect my pants and also to keep sawdust out of my pockets.  I am trying chaps to see if they will be satisfactory.  They are heavy duck cloth with double knees.  Time will tell.  LINK

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I thought you had gotten stiffed on a saw job. ::)

Those look like they'll keep ya warm anyway. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MapleNut

If they don't work out for sawing, strap on your helmet, hop on and go.... :) : 8) :)
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

beenthere

Be interested in how they work. Are they pants chaps or have buckles around the back of the legs? Have to remove shoes to get them on?
Wondering how you get your pocket knife out ??  and the sawdust outta your belt line and shirt??

I wear the chainsaw chaps for chainsaw work as well as splitting firewood (saves on the pant legs). But above the belt the clothes take a beating so I was seriously thinking of your leather apron idea to do both. Seems the apron would be quick to "suit up" and go splitting.

Now you are throwing us a curve....:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

Yer pants are probably going to take on an interesting profile.   ;D   You might get some comments when wearing them on the street without your chaps.  Keep us posted.

Norm 
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

Today was the second time that I have worn them, so time will tell.  The link shows how a strap goes around my belt and Velcros on the side.

They do have a full pants leg, but I am able to pull them on and off with my work boots on.  The nice thing is that I can easily access my pockets and Leatherman tool.

I have already thought of that Norm.  It could make an interesting or uninteresting pattern.   :-\   I did not throw my apron away yet.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

Do those chaps come with a set of stirrups and a horse? :D

Actually Lynn, they look like an excellent idea. Where would you get something like that?
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Be sure TO PUT your pants on. Don't just get out of bed and slide into your chaps and off to work!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Shotgun

Your link was too subtle, MM.    :) ;)   Now that you know how to do it, you have to make it more obvious.

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Bibbyman

Mary usually wears Carhartt logger jeans. They have a double front,almost built-in chaps.

I, well everyone knows what I wear.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ladylake

Same as Bibby here, they never fall down.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bill Gaiche

MM, looks good. Will be great when pickin blackberries too. bg

beenthere

Poston
Thanks for the edit
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

And I thought "sawmill duds" was a new candy.Seems to me a leather apron would give more protection.Its embarasing to be in a store and pull out a handfull of change and saw dust,you don't know weather to dump the dust on there floor or put it back in your pocket. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

BEENTHERE....I went hunting once with a bunch of friends . I don't drink but one of the guys did. He woke up the next morning still badly "under the weather". Without a thought, he woke up the next morning and put on his hunting chaps and never knew the difference! We all wore chaps for Quail hunting. He realized it a few minutes later. We have never laughed so hard in our lives. Nothing bad was intended with my comment.....but the chaps sure reminded me of a funny memory.  :D

P.S. Went back and straightened up my comment. Now it looks better! :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on January 18, 2012, 06:01:18 PM
Where would you get something like that? 

I went back on edit and made the LINK  BOLD

captain_crunch

I seem to live in Carhart bibs Insulated in winter and plain in summer. And everything you seem to need is in pants pocket underneath em >:( >:(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

Well, fine guys.   smiley_thumbsdown   Thanks for trying to trash a legitimate thread.   :-\

My idea was to show an alternative to coming home with dirty jeans and pockets full of sawdust.  This idea and product may work out, or it may not.  As I have previously said, "time will tell".

In the meantime,I hope that others will offer other suggestions, alternatives,and ideas to improve our sawmill workwear.

Bill Gaiche

Some days you just cant impress anyone MM. But dont give up on my part. bg

Jeff

Topic cleaned up and warnings sent.

Carry on Gentlemen.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Those look pretty neat MM, but I'm bettin' you'll go back to the apron in the summertime.  I gave up on keeping the sawdust out of my pockets and just cleaned them out when I finished sawing.  Got to be a habit. ;)  Solved the problem completely when I quit sawing. :D  I prefer low-quarter shoes over boots, but they always ended up full of sawdust so I went with boots.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

DanG, I'm also thinking that the chaps will be too HOT during the Summer.  I wear bibs during the Winter and they are really nice, but bibs will cook you in July and August.

At least that old leather apron is not hot to wear.  Plus, I wear shorts when sawing in the Summer.

Marty saw those legs and accused me of riding a chicken to work.   ;D

dgdrls

The well dressed sawyer!!  ;D

DGDrls

petefrom bearswamp

Magic I bet your boot socks gather quite a bit of sawdust in the summer.
Bailey's wild Ass double front logger jeans are great.
They are now made back in the good ol USA too!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

dgdrls
Looks like the well-dressed sawyer had to be politically correct back in-the-day then too. ;)
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on January 19, 2012, 06:20:07 PM
Magic I bet your boot socks gather quite a bit of sawdust in the summer. 

Indeed the socks do, but very little actually gets into my boots.  That is my second leather apron.

Dan_Shade

i'm proud of the sawdust in my pockets.  the sawdust in my wallet on the other hand....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Red Pill

Quote from: Magicman on January 19, 2012, 03:37:05 PM

With that leather apron, it looks like you're wearing a skirt. Or a kilt. Got Scottish blood?

Magicman

Got Redneck blood.   :D

Red Pill

Not all that different . . . :D

Red Pill

I've been threatening to get a kilt for years. My daughter used to say, "NO, DAD!" but I told her I'd only wear it to church or to pick her up at school . . .

SwampDonkey

I know a couple fellas from the western provinces that wore tartan kilts at their weddings. The whole bag pipe deal and all. They once said the the HBC settled the west, a lot were Orkney Scots. It was certainly those two old Scots of the HBC that put the RR through, most of the private financing was from Lord Strathcona (Alexander "Labrador" Smith, a HBC Factor in Labrador)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Red Pill

Sorry, MM. We've probably taken your thread too far afield . . .

Meadows Miller

Gday

Not a bad Idea Lynn ;):) You know what I tend to wear but I could see where they would be handy as I tend to wear denim jeans year round keeps the sawdust outa your socks and gives the snakes a lill more to bite through ;) :D :D But when they catch on a bolt or something on a loader or whatever for that matter you endup going home with a huge tear in your jeans in usually an very inapropriate place  :o :o :) :) Dad always said sawmillers have the butt hangin outa their pants though Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

terrifictimbersllc

I started wearing Filsons Double Tin Chaps http://www.filson.com/products/double-tin-chaps-with-leg-zippers-regular.14023.html about a month ago and what a difference with the laundry load.  I won't tell you how many times I can wear a pair of pants now.  I got them at http://workingperson.com/  for a substantial discount but had to wait about a month for them from this place.  These go on easily,  even after I've put my boots on. 

The look is similar to Magicman's photo except it's me in the picture so its much more frightening.  The chaps seem to evoke comments similar to what Jeff has purged.  But they keep your pants from becoming utterly filthy, or ruined, if you're working with sappy wood. 

No doubt bibs are still the best, it doesn't matter what you wear under them,  but they're much harder to get in and out of and may be too warm. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Our Winter weather is so crazy and unpredictable here.  It can easily be in the 30's in the morning and 70° by noon.  Layering is the key to staying comfortable and still be able to work.  Vests are a good option for upper wear, and I regularly use two different ones.  But, If your legs are too warm, it seems like you are cooking.  Protecting your legs and maintaining ventilation is a challenge.

Summer is easy.  Just start with not much on, and continually replace sopping wet T shirts with dry ones.  When it gets to 98° just stop and go home.   ;D

buildthisfixthat

great to see some pro sawing clothes and equipment saftey ,,i have seen many thrown off a job-site wearing sneakers ,torn jeans,ect 
shop built bandsaw mill

Magicman

There are some items that I always wear when sawing, regardless of what covers my legs.

Safety glasses, ear plugs, dust mask, gloves, and steel toe boots.  Other items include a weightlifter's belt and a hat of some kind.  In the Winter it is generally a cap as pictured.  In the Summer it is generally a "pith" type ventilated helmet.  When using a chainsaw, in addition to the above, I wear a chainsaw helmet and chainsaw chaps. 

At one time or the other, "bad things" have made a point with me and taught me lessons about not wearing particular safety equipment.  Some of them are documented here on the FF.   :-\

Magicman

Speaking of gloves,  even though I am not responsible for customers or customer provided labor, sometimes they show up without gloves.  OK, some worker's hands are work hardened and calloused, but most are not accustomed to handling lumber.

We have a salvage store that sometimes has leather gloves.  Sometimes the good quality tight fitting leather gloves that I regularly use, and sometimes only cloth backed rough out gloves.  I pay from $1.49 to $1.99 for these and when a worker has no gloves, they will bring a smile to their face.

Under $2 is a small price to pay for more productive work from your helper.

dgdrls

http://www.bendavis.com/store/overalls?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=3

I found this Teamster Apron from Ben Davis.  I have had great luck in the field with BD clothing.

Best
DGDrls

Magicman

That looks very interesting, and Ben Davis is my Grandson.  Well, really a different one because that one is a monkey.  But, Ben is too.....sometimes.     ;D   smiley_monkeyfight

Jeff

I wish I had some photos of the garb the lumber pilers used to where at the mill where I sawed. A couple of them had coats and bibs where the fronts were made almost entirely out of duct tape, and wore them for years. Carharts and Walls were the main brands they wore, but even the best made cloths dont last long when you are dragging lumber across them day after day after day. The guys took to repairing small holes and rips with duct tape. They just kept fixing bad spots day after day, and eventually, there was more tape than original material.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Taking a picture of those might have caused duck tape digital overload.   :D    My leather aprons have held up well, but I am not even in the class of doing what your guys were doing.   :o

I am packing my bags for next week's road trip sawing job and it's mostly T shirts.  No shorts yet.   ;D

Nomad

I've taken to buying gloves in the large size from Harbor Freight.  About $15 a dozen.  Unfortunately I need XL, so they don't work for me.  But Like Lynn says, it sure puts a smile on the helper's face!  And I don't care how calloused his hands are.  If we're talking about fresh cut SYP, I want the help wearing gloves ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Tom the Sawyer

Most of my clients are prepared for milling day but I too have seen their helpers show up without even gloves.  I keep a stock of supplies ready to go.  Same HF gloves (6 pr to the bag), dust masks, goggles and ear plugs.  They may turn down the safety equipment when we start but reconsider when the wind changes.  I even have a couple of extra TSC 25' tapes for them to use and a bench brush so they can see the grain more clearly.   :)

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Dan_Shade

I hate wearing gloves.

I never even considered having a few pairs in the truck for any helpers. 

I only wear gloves when it's really cold or when cutting/welding metal.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

medic

MM - if it makes you feel any better I'll sometimes wear farrier chaps when I'm milling.  I stumbled across the idea several years ago when I was milling some used power poles into square timbers/lumber for a barn.  The used stuff had splinters galore in it but the chaps solved the problem (at least in my legs).  Since they're farrier chaps they just extend below the knee and the back of the leg is open.  Cooler to wear than full length 'pants' style chaps. 
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Magicman

I'll be sawing a couple of logtruck loads of Cypress next week so I should be able to give the chaps a good workout.  But, I'm not throwing my apron away.   ;D

dgdrls

Teamster Apron,  I thought they were a pretty good Idea, first run with them today,
Table sawing some 1" red oak trim'

http://barebonesworkwear.com/ben-davis-heavyweight-teamster-work-apron-olive-one-size

Best DGDrls

beenthere

dg
Had something like that in mind. Thanks for the pic. Can'tcha get that camera to smile?   ;D

Are you working outside? Seem pretty bundled up to be on an inside job.
south central Wisconsin

dgdrls

Beenthere,

Yes, had the table saw outside, less mess to worry about. Grabbed a quick pic for the Forum.
It's about mid 30's here in CNY.  weird winter, no snow, barely any frost in the ground.
The Fleece is a bit big, Light thermal under that, Apron on top.  Works well.

Best DGDrls

Magicman

I found that with our heat in the Summer, I had to go with a waist rather than a bib apron.  Actually, my leather waist apron is a cutoff bib apron.  I'll bet that teamster work apron could be cut off.  I'll probably order one.

Edit:  They are currently out of stock.   :-\

thecfarm

He got the last one.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Seems I did get the last set!..
Anyone who wishes try here, they are a $buck less!
http://www.gorillagear.com/shopcoats-aprons/aprons-50poly-50-cotton

Best DGDrls

Cutting Edge

MM, after reading your thread about the 12000+ bf you sawed, and observed you still wearing your apron, I was reminded of something I have in my welding gear.  I thought they may allow you to have the best of both worlds, while giving the option of "breathing" room and staying cooler.  Work quite well for welding, should apply to milling  ;D

Apron/Chaps are $30, Boot Leggins are $20  Both made by "Radnor" and available online or at "AirGas". Different lengths are available.  I'm 6'4" and get excellent protection. 

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

terrifictimbersllc

From a part time swing miller's perspective there's a spot there that still needs excellent protection.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

All you need is a good set of hockey gear and your good to go. :D

terrifictimbersllc

Being able to go is important too.  ::) ::) 

Chris Burchfield

I'm in Bibby's camp.  My Liberty's are from Walmart.  Usually get one or two pair for Christmas as I did this year.  In the dead heat of summer with the humidity in Memphis the way it is, If I can't get by with a pair of Liberty's I don't saw.  I consider myself a fair weather sawyer. 
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

I wear the Liberty's in the Winter, but during the Summer, I need some "Swamp People" britches.   :D

Nomad

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 09, 2012, 02:32:34 PM
From a part time swing miller's perspective there's a spot there that still needs excellent protection.  ::) ::) ::)
From another part time swing miller; Ain't that the truth!!!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!