Sponsors:

debarker

Started by steve phillips, January 17, 2012, 03:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

howdy all
its the new guy  again .
have a question and open to all opinons
looking at putting a debarker on my mill , i though about a 12volt motor with some chain to slap off the bark .
or is this a real thing that really helps the blade keep sharp, i can see the point.

thanks
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

beenthere

I didn't follow that reasoning, but there are debarkers that will remove the bark and keep your band sharper longer.
Did you have in mind to re-invent something?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have the debarked on my LT40. This is the best investment I've ever made.

As far as you building your own, I'm probably not very much help on giving advice. But I'm sure someone on here can help. I hope it works out for ya. A debarked is worth it's weight in GOLD!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

The Wood-Mizer debarker is a 1/4" kerf circular blade which saws a groove ahead of the band.  This blade and its motor have mounting which allow it to bounce, or you to move it, out of the way sometimes over the highly irregular log surface.  It is not a flail, but rather a saw.  It will only saw so deeply, if you get logs with deeply textured bark full of mud it may not get through to the clean wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

steve phillips

hey been there
yeah i am making this thing ,   i am doing some machining on some frame parts a just thought of a debarker
so yes i will be building it

i have an ole jointer planer i use for parts was thinking about using the cutter out of it ,run it off a belt from motor. add a arm with a spring so it will be pulled against the log

what do you think ?

Magicman

The blade needs to be pulling out of the log.  That way it can climb over irregularities as terrifictimbersllc mentioned.  Some folks have used stacked circular saw blades.  The tooth angle is really too steep on them so maybe turn a couple backwards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

Timberking debarker is a pretty simple design I use a dado stackable 8" blades middle ones reveresed. It really is a blade   saver.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

steve phillips

hey redbeard
yeah i like it ,i like it
straight out and forward ,simple , cant be beat lol

learydeere

I was going to build my own too but got stopped when i went looking for a 12v motor.  I found plenty of 1.5hp 12 motors but they were all around 86amp and for a 20 amp was almost $900.  Is there something else that can be used?

JFarmer

I wouldnt own a mill without a debarker, for me it's a must!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

millwright

I know a guy that used a motor off of a 12volt backup sump pump with good results.

bandmiller2

Steve, what you really need is to see the woodmizer debarker and note the linkages and take a couple of measurements.There are alot of mizers in Va. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

YellowHammer

For me, the debarker upped my production significantly, but it's got joints, springs, linkages and adjustments that allow it to be aligned, adjusted for depth of cut/pressure, log diameter on the fly, and resist impact damage.  Lots of ways to make it work but I would expect a good bit of tinkering to get a homebuilt one optimized.  As suggested, seeing one in action would be key. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

eastberkshirecustoms

Here are a few photos of my debarker. It is still a work in progress....

redbeard

Live edge slabs are becoming or coming back to popularity with woodworkers and artists, it  is a niche market and a debarker is a must for this type of cutting. Some buyers do complain about the groove it leaves and I have charged accordingly to those that dont want the debarke r groove in there slabs.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

I've used a debarker alot when I ran the LT-70,it works well but I was glad to shut it off.My current debarker is an axe and wire brush,have no plans to build one of those complicated swinging buzzsaws. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

steve phillips

hey all
hey bandmiller2 thats a good idea , i have a cousin that has a mill ( woodmizer) . next time i go  to visit mom im going to check it with some paper ,pencil,camera . if you going to do it dont play right ? ( without playing hard on the wallet)
  hey eastberk nice set up ,very clean work . i am heading towards a belt drive instead of buying motor . after checking on dc motors and prices and were they are made at ( china ) , i see belt and pulleys in my future lol

Magicman

Due to the vast range of movement that the Debarker has to make, there are very valid and practical reasons why sawmill manufacturers use a separate DC motor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Why not a direct ac motor? Too fast? Too heavy? Or just trying to find something that will run off mill power?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

steve phillips

hey hackberry
lol im just tight , na i want to try to set it up on its own power. the dc motors and  good ones are out of my range . but i am always checking craigslist ect .  i am retire so there are days that the only thing i can do is look up info .

everyone in here have been supportive just wanted to say thanks

hackberry jake

I hear treadmill are a good source for variable speed dc motors. An old car blower motor probably wouldn't have the umph but it was the first thing that popped into my head. Maybe a trolling motor for a boat?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

eastberkshirecustoms

Here's a link to a stout and affordable motor: http://www.amazon.com/Ramsey-Winch-Motor-Bi-Directional-MBJ4407/dp/B003PL9IUO/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1317461975&sr=8-43. I'm not sure what the amp draw is or if it is made in China. I bought my saw drive motor on ebay and the smaller motor to run it all in/out (not seen installed in the pic's) is scavenged from a wheel chair.

pineywoods

You'll have a bit of a problem with treadmill motors. They are DC, but need 90+ volts. don't run worth didley on 12 volts. I don't know of any source for 12 volt dc motors that would be reliable and not cost a bunch. . Might be worthwhile to look at a hydraulic pump running off the main engine, then use a hydraulic motor
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rs1626

Have you checked out surpluscenter.com  they have a 3/4 hp 12 v.    its  $230.00

steve phillips

howdy all
hope everyones day was good .
i was able to do a day of research and eastberk great idea , did some looking around at different winch motors . found were harbor freight has a winch that goes on sale from time to time for 50ish bucks . add the no ? warranty you buy extra may be the way to go.
thanks all for all of the ideas you put up there

Thank You Sponsors!