The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: debarker  (Read 9014 times)

Offline Jaybolicious

Re: debarker
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 04:08:34 pm »
Never had an issue with overheating.   I turn it on and off before and after each  cut usually, but I leave it on continuously too and it never gets hot.  I would know if it were because I put my hand on the motor usually when I pull it back to pin it out of the way.  One thing I learned is never start the motor when it is already in contact with the log, I broke two of three teeth on the debarker bit once because it was on a hard knot when I started it, $15 bucks for a new bit.   Now I always start the motor then engage the debarker into the log and haven't had an issue since.   If there are lots of knots or if the log is very irregular, I'll only pressure wash  it as good as I can rather than risk breaking something on a knotty or bad log, this seems to be rare with the EWP I've been milling though.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 04:31:41 pm »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum Bump.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Bump

• I'm new!
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »
Thank you

Offline br549

• I'm new!
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2015, 01:00:43 am »
I know this is an old topic. I just have to wander about the small 4 stroke generator that Tractor Supply sells of HarborFreight. I've had the TS brand one and it's small enough to sit on the saw carriage and would pull a decent sized A/C motor with a blade mounted on it.

Offline br549

• I'm new!
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 01:01:10 am »
I know this is an old topic. I just have to wander about the small 4 stroke generator that Tractor Supply sells of HarborFreight. I've had the TS brand one and it's small enough to sit on the saw carriage and would pull a decent sized A/C motor with a blade mounted on it.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 02:55:33 am »
Sure, why not?  With a little outside the box thinking anything like that is possible.  Another machine (the generator) to have to worry about and maintain is the only drawback I can see.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline tmarch

• I'm older, maybe not wiser tho
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 04:07:00 pm »
I've used a debarker alot when I ran the LT-70,it works well but I was glad to shut it off.My current debarker is an axe and wire brush,have no plans to build one of those complicated swinging buzzsaws. Frank C.
For those of us like Frank I found this tool, Shizel (google it) works well if the bark is a bit lose.  Built be Pine Ridge Tools.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Offline smwwoody

• Senior Member x2
  • Makeing round wood square
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 10:12:44 am »
Starter motors work great.  seen them many times. 

I dont see what the big deal is about debarkers.  I have cut well over 10 million feet each on an LT300 and an lt3500 sitting side by side the 3500 with a debarker and the 300 without.  on average i dont see a real differance.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Offline nomad

• Senior Member x2
    • Bill's Mill Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2015, 08:06:20 pm »
     Woody, you must be getting some decently clean logs.  If you tried that with the sand-crusted stuff I get most of the time you'd be changing a band every 10 minutes.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas 1030 w/slabbing attachment

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2015, 06:46:57 am »
I have to agree with nomad, you won't cut through much grit without useing a debarker of some sort!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2015, 07:22:37 am »
I have to agree with nomad, you won't cut through much grit without useing a debarker of some sort!

I lived in Ga for 5 years... I could really see where you would need a debarker in that state.
Up here in Pa I dont see the need for one. We dont have the grit and sand like down south.
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2015, 09:41:22 am »
  It all boils down to where you live and the type of soil on average thats there... Here you will find some nice clay, it aint very hard on blades, some really nice sand that will blast a blade in no time flat, depending on what time of year and how the logs where taken from the stump to the landing will determine if you will need to scratch some entry point on the log or not.
 It was easy when I bought my mill the debarker was not an option at the time, I could of put one on the next or so year after,but had the log wizard by then and was happy using it.
 Some of you live on sand... of course you would not live with out one... For me, it is frozen outside now... no need for a debarker from now till spring... Its windshield washer time.... :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2015, 02:08:30 pm »
  It all boils down to where you live and the type of soil on average thats there... Here you will find some nice clay, it aint very hard on blades, some really nice sand that will blast a blade in no time flat, depending on what time of year and how the logs where taken from the stump to the landing will determine if you will need to scratch some entry point on the log or not.
 It was easy when I bought my mill the debarker was not an option at the time, I could of put one on the next or so year after,but had the log wizard by then and was happy using it.
 Some of you live on sand... of course you would not live with out one... For me, it is frozen outside now... no need for a debarker from now till spring... Its windshield washer time.... :) 

That is the key point in this area! ;)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL