iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer Re-Sharp - NY Branch

Started by mhasel, February 07, 2004, 09:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Just in case anyone has any blades to send in to WoodMizer's NY branch you may want to give them a call or check out this link.

Really looks like they had a mess, thank goodness no one was hurt!!

Mike

http://www.woodmizer.com/inside/roof.html

Duane_Moore

:(  Thanks for the post Mike.  good info. So glad no one hurt. looks nasty.  Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

cpm

Thanks for the heads up. I got an e-mail from Kyle at WM N.Y. the other day and he said they got almost 7 feet of snow in 3 days!  :o Guess that lake effect snow can do that. Don't think I've ever seen 7' of snow on the ground at once. Just glad it happened @ 3 in am, when no one was around.

cpm

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

They'll have to rebuild with some of that SSMU wood so that it doesn't happen again. :)

We have flat roofs down here and water "stacks" up on them too.  I watched a wide eyed employee from the warehouse across the street run into our building to make a phone call and calm himself in a rain storm.  He was in a 500 foot long warehouse that started coming down on one end.  He said he started running as hard as he could toward the other end with the ceiling coming down at his heels.  Steel, wood, drywall, AC duct, sheet steel, tar and lots of water were falling behind him.  

Everybody got out ok but they all were white as sheets.

At least we can usually shed our water.  I can't imagine being under that much snow on the roof.

shopteacher

I wonder what the building code calls for in rated weight per square foot for a roof in that area ?  Wonder  what that roof was rated at per sq. ft?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

beenthere

Wonder what the sequence of events will be now. The insurance company will pay for the damage, then it will try to recoup its loss by following the easiest trail - bad truss design?  poor quality wood in the truss? grade-stamped wood in the truss? who graded that wood with that grade stamp?  Who sawed the lumber in that truss?

I have been to liability conferences where the insurance companies follow a path of least resistance. Not enough space here to tell all the horror stories, but one comes to mind. A scaffold broke, but the scaffold mfg. had good liability protection (signs etc. covering their tails) even though it was a steel cross member that the scaffold plank was on that failed. So, the bottom line was they sued and won a settlement from the sawmill that sawed the plank (not graded as scaffold grade) but was used as the scaffold plank, because it was determined that a knot in the plank put undue pressure on the steel cross member, causing it to fail.

That is a real stretch, but the unsuspecting sawmill owner didn't have anything that would protect him from this accusation, so he paid dearly. I agree, not fair. But it is reality in this world of today. Hard to label all boards sawn that it can't be used in a certain way, or if it is used, the mfg. is not liable.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Unfortunately lawers sue everybody in a situation like that. We had a system delivered to us in a wooden crate clearly marked this side up do not tip. It was six foot high. They delivered it on its side in a small cargo van. It was really banged up. The delivery company said it was improperly crated and would not pay the claim. Our ex-lawyer wanted to sue everyone from where they bought the wood to who crated it. I told him the delivery company was the one to get money out of they clearly screwed up. They finally paid after much money to the lawyer.

I would have liked to see how they proved where that piece of wood on the scaffold came from. One reason I would caution anyone about putting a stamp on wood. I know the intent is right and the wood will be good but that won't stop them from suing whether it's your fault or not. I'm not preaching just telling you what it's like to sit in front of a jury explaining it's not your fault.

Brian_Bailey

I'm not sure what the current truss rating is here in WNY, 60lbs/sq' seems to come to mind, but after all the barn roofs that collapsed in 1998 there was talk of increasing the load requirements.
One county had 39 barns go down and 37 were build with non-graded lumber. NY doesn't require graded lumber for agr. buildings.
Fortunately, no one was hurt at WM, but you can bet some one is going to feel the sting of a lawsuit.  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Jim_Rogers

I talked with Dave Scott of the WM branch in NY on Friday in NH at a farm and forestry trade show.
He told me about the roof coming down.
He said he had the contractor there at 5:30 am, who built the building and the truss manufacture rep was there before 8:30 am. They had to lift a skid steer over the side wall  into the shop so haul out the snow.
New trusses have already been delivered, and the roof should be weather tight by tomorrow, Tuesday the 10th.
He said the blade setters which are down the middle of the shop where holding up the roof, and that the setter appeared to have very little damage.
As mentioned it was a good thing it was in the night and no workers where there.
Of the three parts of the branch office buildings this is the smallest, and the newest.
Snow load can exceed expected amounts.
He said it snowed and then rained a few days later. So all that snow acted like a sponge and soaked up all that water.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

New York Re-Sharp Back Up and Running After Roof Collapse!
Customers May now Resume Sending Blades to Wood-Mizer Northeast

(HANNIBAL, New York) Only six days after a complete roof collapse at Wood-Mizer's Hannibal, New York, Re-Sharp facility, the service is back up and running—with replacement equipment and a brand new roof.  If you have any questions or immediate concerns, call the branch, at (315) 564-5722.
      At 3:30am, February 4, 2004, an alarm was activated at the Hannibal, New York, branch. Wood-Mizer Northeast Branch Manager Dave Scott, who lives only a mile away, was rousted from bed to investigate what triggered the alarm. When he arrived, he noticed the entire roof of the Re-Sharp building had caved in under the weight of accumulated snow.
      Scott said, "We are extremely fortunate that the collapse occurred in the dead of night, when our employees were safe at home. We are all extremely relieved about that."
      Cleanup began that same morning, and the Wood-Mizer main office in Indianapolis sent equipment to replace what had been damaged in the collapse. A brand new roof has since been installed.
      Scott said, "Our team has accomplished an amazing task. Thanks to our other Wood-Mizer Re-Sharp locations for taking care of our northeast customers during the cleanup!"

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

C_Miller

10-4 on the rain and snow combination.  That's what got all those barns in 1998.  The roofs don't slope enough around here so there is snow,then ice damming, then more snow, then rain.  forms tons and tons of "Big Gulp" Slushie sitting on your roof.  Makes for a nasty "brain freeze".

C
CJM

redpowerd

cant beleive i found this post, ten pages away!
man this place is growin, fast.

anyway, anyone know how WMs shop is going?
ill be needin resharp soon.
if not, ill be callin tomorrow.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!