The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Logosol

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

Portable Sawmill and Planers Made by Logosol.

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Bar oil vs. used motor oil  (Read 10874 times)

Offline tstex

• Full Member x2
Re: Bar oil vs. used motor oil
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:07 am »
I am not sure how far s-termite colonies push the northern boundaries of the US, but used motor/hydraulic fluids are very useful where I live.  If you dropped a toothpick on the grd after dinner, and went to pick it up 10 minutes later, it would be gone!

We have very sandy-loam soil and termites are everywhere...they will travel-up concrete foundations/pier & beams with their tunnels and up to the ridge-boards of my sheds, barns, house, etc.  So, I put old towels down on the grd and carefully pour the old used fluids on the lower part of structure siding boards [cedar, pine, etc] and of course on all the lower plate boards...let it soak in and do it again...it is good for about 5 yrs...there are places where i did this and the termites later ate the soaked boards after 5 yrs, so everything does have a half-life, or these are  a new strain of nuclear termites.  I also pour the old stuff on the tops of my large fence posts...the cedar just soaks it up...keeps the tops from splitting so fast...

Be safe,
tstex

Offline NCFarmboy

• Full Member x2
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 01:57:45 pm »
You can use canola cooking oil for bar lube.  It was originally designed for a high pressure machinery lubricant.  Some guys run it in some Forest Service areas because of regulations.  If you do use it before storage flush the oil tank and run it some wth reg. bar lube to replace the canola in the op and line.  If you don't it will dry into a gooey mess clogging the op and lines.  If I could find some tackifier I would run hydraulic oil it's a lot cheaper or used to be haven't bought a drum lately.  May try it to see how it works.  I have about 25 gals.  Probably have to turn the oiler way down.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »
May try it to see how it works.

If you do try it, then what will you be looking for to "see if it works" ?  Heat in the bar?
Over the long term, what might be the indicators that it does or doesn't work?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:27:44 pm »
I have been running drained oil from the helicopter transmissions for years now.  It does very well.  As far as crankcase oil.  If I ran it, i would filter it first, then mix it with some gear lube, it is pretty thin by itself.  Mine is a mix of synthetic gear lube and 40w aviation engine oil, (ised in helicopter transmissions), the only metals suspended in the stuff is maybe a little lead from gear spacers in the tranny, (which IMO only makes it better).
'64 Garrett 15A, Granberg Alaskan III, Logosol Timberjigg, Husky 372XP, McCulloch 10-10 auto, Poulan wild thing, Stihl 075, Mac 10-10A(x5),7-10A, PM700, SP81E, JD AMT626, Plus more toys

Offline old 030

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:48 pm »
used oil is corosive to magneseum cases, i've seen it happen, but this was straight, unfiltered used oil, just my 2 cents worth ::)

Offline Spike60

• Full Member x2
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 06:39:53 pm »
With the price of bar oil these days, I think we'll be seeing more of this. I have a couple customers that are running used oil and knowing their situations, I don't even bring it up.

But I would never recommend it. There is the chance that some of you have already mentioned for oil pump issues. But what is more certain is shorter bar life. Much of the oil today is 5/30. That's even thinner than winter weight bar oil, so an awful lot of it is flying off the end of the bar. But if you do the math, you're probably saving way more on bar oil than you would be spending buying bars.  :-\
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 06:57:44 pm »
I've used 30wt ,gear lube ,even ATF when is was cold as a well diggers butt but never black oil .I did have an old oak deck trailer once I used gob black oil on about every two three years to preserve it .Other than that it gets burnt like I said in my buddys black oil heater .Lot of BTU's in a gallon of crankcase oil .Besides it's free .

Offline mrcaptainbob

• I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:14 am »
I used black engine oil for a few years, too. Went through FAR more bars and chains. Here's what changed my mind.... A friend let me use some oil from TSC. YIKES! What an improvement in cutting! It was immediately noticeable. And the chains last VERY much longer! I am a convert back to bar oil.

Offline NCFarmboy

• Full Member x2
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 07:11:14 am »
May try it to see how it works.

If you do try it, then what will you be looking for to "see if it works" ?  Heat in the bar?
Over the long term, what might be the indicators that it does or doesn't work?
Bar heat, chain stretch/life retention on chain/bar is what I would be looking for.  Even straight hyd, oil should work.  Canola cooling oil is used for bar oil and I've read it works just as good as bar oil.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Offline gspren

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 08:34:57 am »
Using engine oil, new or used, was ok years ago when the oil was thicker and the saws slower but with todays oils having very little tackiness and the saw speed singing I will stick to bar oil.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 09:54:53 am »
I use reclaimed hydraulic oil for bar and chain lube. Have also used second-hand motor oil. The problem with both is it's not sticky, slings off the end of the bar, so the bottom of the bar gets little or no lube. If you add a qt of stp to 5 gallons of oil, solves that problem. Works good and I have seen no ill effects..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline smalldog

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:40 am »
Some people localy have been using this bar lube because it's $2 cheaper a gallon. It comes out black like drain oil and is sometimes lumpy. I have seen that it leaves a tar substance in the tank of the saw and plugs the filter. The tar stuff is tough to clean out of the tank too. I don't know if it was a bad batch or if is all like that. Brand is "Chain Pro"

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/439661-bar_and_chain_oil.html?lref=%2fcatalog%2ffind.aspx%3ft%3dbar%2boil
Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 06:28:34 pm »
used oil is corosive to magneseum cases, i've seen it happen, but this was straight, unfiltered used oil, just my 2 cents worth ::)

Not surprising, since some of the byproducts of combustion are corrosive, and some of them end up in the engine oil.
Small time fire-wooder in a neighborhood cooperative.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline trapper

• I'm new!
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 08:37:54 pm »
John Mc  looks like the same cheaper stuff sold By fleet farm and menards..  Used it once and did not like the residue in the bottom of the jug.  Thinking it wood do the same in my oiler resivour.  Didnt like the smell either. 
lt30 stihl025  400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 10:48:07 pm »
TSC stuff is allright .I used it for years .Then Stihl for about a year was cheaper which is surprising because anything that says Stihl is pricey  .

Got the hot set up now ,free .Tom the tree guys brother in law works in a repacking plant  and they can have all the leakers .Not bad stuff ,comes in a 2.5 gallon jug which I dump into an Era 1 gallon jug which has a tap valve on the bottom .Nice and tidy.Oil in the saw not all over my leg .Neatest thing since sliced bread or beer in a can .

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »
When I was first starting out with a chainsaw I used reclaimed engine oil (heated and filtered as suggested in a Mother Earth News Article).  After premature bar failure from excess heat and chains stretching way too soon I started using regular bar oil.  What a difference  :o
Used motor oil just will not stick to the bar and chain the way bar oil does.  In my opinion it is a false savings to use old motor oil given the price of bars and chain.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline snowshoveler

• Knotty Knot Sawmill
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:41 pm »
I run the service department in a pretty busy saw shop.
If a saw comes in with used oil in the crankcase, the warranty is gone.
 Most mechanics wont even work on them. I will try to help if I can.
I know that most people running the used oil are not doing it by choice.
They just don't have the money for the proper chain oil.
In my opinion the worst part of the used oil is there is a fog of oil all over the saw.
Imagine how much of that you are breathing in.

Chris   
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
He could buy a lot of chain oil for the price of the bar and chain plus down time. I am a firm believer in using quality lubricants in anything I run.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 05:53:48 am »
The research has already been done on bar oil versus trying to recycle used oil or other stuff. I'll stick to the bar oil and I'll still not wear out these saws I have now from use. They'll probably get ruined for not being used much.  ::)

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 06:51:42 am »
It doesn't make any difference if it's a chainsaw,an auto engine or a machine tool .The lubrication of same is its' life blood .

I mean you can save a lot of money not changing the oil in your car too but you might wring the engine at 35,000 miles .