iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer Sharpener/Setter...Whats it worth?

Started by Cutting Edge, January 15, 2012, 03:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutting Edge

I ran accross an older used Wood-Mizer LTAGA profile grinder and single tooth setter.  Looks to be complete with oil pump and stand and comes with (1) unknown cam.  Basic single tooth setter with dial indicator.  Said to be in good working condition.  Owner has little info beyond this.  Bought and never used, he turned it on to make sure it worked.

All new to me, and sure someone has a much better idea about this equipment. 

What is a reasonable price for this setup?  Thanks
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

davey duck

HI, there is one one ebay starting bid is 1200.00 and the buy it.  now is 1500.00 type in Woodmizer and all catagory.
David G.Fleming

Cutting Edge

Kinda hard to gauge price by that when Wood-Mizer site lists a new sharpener w/ (4) cams for $1500.  Just want an idea so both the owner and myself get a fair estimate/deal.  We both agree we're kinda in the dark.  Appreciate the input...thanks.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Slingshot

I bought one of the WM sharpener and setter outfits about 3 years ago from
another forum member in excellent condition for just under $800.00
including shipping. Been well satisfied with it.

Chuck White

I've always found that the best way is to have the current owner set the price on his own equipment!

At least then, you could make a counter offer if necessary.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

If you buy them, 2 words of advice..
1. Get a good rock dressing tool, preferably diamond, and learn to shape the grinding wheel. If the wheel is properly shaped, the grinder does an excellent job. If not, you will have problems..
2.  The setter can easily be modified to set 2 opposing teeth in one pass. Go here  dual tooth mod[url]
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cutting Edge

I figure more people than just me will be doin that, or already have!! ;D  Nice-n-Simple....whats not to like...Thanks!!! 

Been doin alot of reading on older threads about sharpeners and such....seems alot of yall like a simple sharpener that just "kisses" the tooth and don't worry bout the rest.  And others swear by full profile sharpenening to eliminate cracks and maximize blade life and usable steel.  Whats a fella to think?  BTW, thanks for all the info/reading....makes these sleepless painful days/nights more bearable.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Buck

Piney, are there any tricks to dressing those? please explain. Sorry guys, not trying to hijack this thread
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Cutting Edge

Hows it a Hijack ???....I always figured the more questions asked, the more answers ya get!!  Who cares who jumps in....just like a real conversation ;) 

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Buck

I just got a sharpening set up with my second mill. I never have used it. Gotta move that up the list....
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Buck on January 15, 2012, 10:51:33 PM
Piney, are there any tricks to dressing those? please explain. Sorry guys, not trying to hijack this thread

The package should come with instructions on stone profiling.  No tricks that I can remember.  Just attention to detail and an eye to duplicate the illustrations in the instructions. 

As I remember, the stone wears down and also tends to glaze over with metal.   Every few blades the stone needed a little dressing up.  Thus the diameter of the wheel keeps getting smaller and less effective.

The big disadvantage to just grinding the top and face of the tooth is that the tooth height is made shorter each time and thus the gullet depth is lost.  I feel the gullet depth is important to carry away the sawdust.  I always tried to grind the whole gullet.

We sold out stone grinder and single tooth setter setup maybe 10 years ago for $1,000.00, as I remember.  It was always inside and I'd say at least average condition or better condition. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Dressing a wheel is not hard just takes a little fussing around with a new wheel, as they come with square corners.First dress the left corner of the wheel to match the radius at the base of the tooth face.Dress the right corner of the wheel so it just grinds the tip of the next tooth.If you have the right cam in your machine it will be close,may take one or two sharpenings for everything to match just right.Dress a little and often to keep freash sharp grits and reduce glaze and blueing tips. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Buck

Guys, thanks for the replies. I now know what value I have and know I need to research for some manuals and instructions for sure. The beauty of used stuff..you don't always get the written matl's with it. ;)

Cutting Edge

Just got off the phone with a fella at Wood-Mizer and he gave me alot of insight about the sharpener, maintenance, etc.  Nice Guy too.  He wasn't trying to sell me a new one, but did explain that,for example, if the control box went bad that was $400, if motor failed $$$, etc.

After talking with him, and he also suggested, wait...and find one with more history, owner knowledge, experience, etc. or even save my pennies and get a new one.  They only have cams for their blades (understandable) and that kinda killed the deal too.  Just to many unknowns to persue this particular deal.  At least I have a better idea of what to look for...thats what matters.

Shoot, maybe someone here will have one they want to part with...Thanks for advice Y'all!

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Chuck White

If their asking price was reasonable, it might be worth taking the chance!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cutting Edge

$850 + shipping.  Fella at wood-mizer thought is was little to steep with no more info than I was able to get.  Setter manufacturer is unknown...definately not woodmizer.  Basic single tooth with dial indicator. What y'all think?

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

petefrom bearswamp

Cooks included a cam for my WM sharpener when I bought 20 blades.
I did have to grind some off of the cam in the area that was not critical to the profile as it interfered with the advance mechanism.
No big deal.
I also bought a rock from them that i profiled to their blades works OK but it is much softer than the WM one.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ironwood

Great modification Piney, I missed that one on the first go around. I bought what looks like the same single tooth setter from an Amish buddy for $10, now I will convert it to a dual.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!