iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GM engine numbers

Started by CLL, January 14, 2012, 10:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

I just bought a 327 chevy engine and know the codes can tell you the HP, year made, what kind of car it came out of and ect. I have looked at various sites and am more confused than when I started. Can anyone tell me what the numbers stand for or where I can buy a book that will tell you all the above. Here are the numbers on front of block FI226SB and S170635, numbers on back of block is 3782870. Appreciate any help.  CLL
Too much work-not enough pay.

shelbycharger400

3782870 62 - 67 327 250-375 2-Bolt mains/Truck/Pass
64 - 67 350, 327 & 302 210-350 2-Bolt mains
Truck/Pass

http://www.thedirtforum.com/castings.htm

red

HP is from what cyl heads ..pistons...cam  are you sure it is stock
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

shelbycharger400

nice thing about Early blocks are they are thick wall casted.  I had a cheby 307, i accidentally overbored it, so i had to put 2 sleeves in it, i punched it out a clean 1/4 inch to press in dry sleeves and never hit water.  if i knew that it was that thick i could have punched the motor out for 350 pistons.   I prebought the pistons dumb me.    from what i know, all pre 68 ? blocks are thick wall you know it by picking up the empty block.   weird thing about my motor now is i exchanged the crank, and recieved one that the casting numbers dont match any lists online, it was 50 or 100 thous longer stroke than stock.  anyway i built mine to 10.5 or 11 to 1 compression.  this was in 2002...  it just sits at my parents house.. lol.. prob siezed up by now.    your motor should be a small journal 327, which is good. less friction.    if you have the cash, rebuild it with roller mains and roller rod bearings .  i called beary bearing once and they said, 400, 500 $  range each. you have to modify the high output oil pump to make good oil pressure, minimum 1000 rpm idle.    when your building it,   the cam grinders have come a long way in their work.   talk to a grinder, find out what they recomend, their is a lot of cams available and a lot of them waste energy, or are irratic.  i ordered my cam ground to "my motor" on the big block mopar, told them my heads, what was done , valve size, springs, compression, type and weight of pistons, motor was balanced, manual trany, gear ratios, carb and intake, weight of car, rear end and ratio.     i paid 140 for my cam, and used stock hydraulic lifters.  that was beary cams out of lester prarie mn

Mooseherder

My brothers are Chevy collectors and have the book for these codes.  I'll email them and ask.

CLL

My thinking right now is rather than waste the 327 in a rat rod, probably rebuild it so we can spin it 7500 or so and put it in the 52 Henry J I am building for the strip.

beenthere

I ran across this video, and thought you might enjoy it as well.

http://www.wimp.com/dadscar/

Always been a dream of mine to get back in my '57 Chev 4 dr hardtop. Came close once, but didn't work out. This "Dad" had quite a surprise and I feel good for him.

Thought this GM thread was a good place to post, with your interests in the Chevy engine.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Both of my brothers responded while I was out.
One brother only had the Big Block Book numbers and here is what my other brother wrote.

Hey, my sb chevy book is over twenty years old!, there is newer and better info at www.msa-1.com
First,  the casting number on the back shows that it is a very early 327 from 1962 to 1965 block. It was available as a 250 hp, 300hp,340hp,350hp,360hp,365hp,or 375hp motor. this block was used in car, truck, and corvette apps.
340 to 375 hp were corvette apps, with 365 and 375 hp being fuel injection motors!
First letter on block pad shows it built at Flint,Mi.
I is the month of manufacture, which is ninth, Sept.
22 is the date of manufacture There should be an other casting date on the rear of the block that will denote the year.
6SB tells us exactly what this motor is and what it was installed in.(A.E.impala, truck, corvette,my book does not say) It would also say if there was 4 speed or 3 speed manual trans or powerglide behind it.
The S170635 is the last digits of the vin number to that peticular vehicle that the motor came from.
All chevy cast parts have casting numbers and casting dates. If he had the heads,intake & exhaust manifolds with this motor, it would help decode exactly what it is. All casting dates should be no more than a couple of weeks from each other. By getting a better book than mine he'll be able to decipher the 6SB on the block.

ron

CLL

Thanks Mooseherder, from what I have gotten it is a 300hp as it has double hump heads and thats what the SB stands for. I appreciate all the help.  C.L.

Thank You Sponsors!