iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green vs. Dry "a querry"

Started by Wood Doctor, January 14, 2012, 10:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood Doctor

This theorem is based on simple math.
60,000 lbs. of green pulp wood, minus 75% of its moisture content, equating to an estimated 50% of its mass weight, therefore equaling 30,000 lbs. of fire wood,(mixed species) at an average of 3,000 lbs. per cord, equals 10 cords? Any takers? ~m~

stavebuyer

Not quite sure what your querry is.. but a fresh cut cord of oak & hickory run across the truck scales comes in at a little over 6000lbs. I'd figure poplar and soft maple would be a little less. 3 tons to the cord for green wood is reasonable average.

mrwood

Wow wood doctor all those numbers and beer make my head spin. Or maybe it's just the beer? 8) smiley_beertoast

Wood Doctor

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 15, 2012, 07:41:44 AM
Not quite sure what your querry is.. but a fresh cut cord of oak & hickory run across the truck scales comes in at a little over 6000lbs. I'd figure poplar and soft maple would be a little less. 3 tons to the cord for green wood is reasonable average.
Dear Stavebuyer, As a buyer then I would surmise that you are a seller as well;and the query part comes from a friend that ask me how many cords of fire wood would be had if he bought a truckload of pulp wood scaling out at 60g. Knowing that it would be be green and estimating 25% moisture content after it seasoned out as burnable, I'm estimating its gross weight would drop 50%  That would mean that the truck load delivered at 60,000 lbs would scale out at 30,000 lbs seasoned. Using an average of 3,000 lbs  per cord for seasoned (mixed spec.) firewood I am saying he would end up with around 10 cords. I tried to form it as a theorem but was really asking a guestion, hoping to see how close I estimated. Thx. ~m~ ::)

bill m

If that 60,000 lbs. of pulp is on a triaxle log truck it will be closer to 8 cords of wood.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SwampDonkey

I get handy to 10.5 cords with my math. Forgot we have air space, not a solid block of wood. If it's mostly oak, deduct a cord.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!