iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tammy and her tree of glass.

Started by Jeff, February 07, 2004, 05:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We have been working on a new kitchen for 2 or 3 months now. Its getting close to finished. Of course, the design has a theme of trees and forest. Even the floor tiles we found have ferns on them. I had the bright idea of leaving one of the cabinet doors without a panel so we could do our own glass work for it. I tried a faux stained glass panel which the family likes but I dont. Tonight I started on an etching process. Problem is, Tammy got roped into the tedium of it. Cutting a very detailed stencil from the drawing I did on the computer. If all goes well we will have a one of a kind glass tree when we are done. I'll post some picture when we get everything finished. Here is one of Tammy concentrating on cutting out the Tree. Glass is cheap, so we are trying several things. (only 3 bucks for chunk cut to size)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

J_T

Jim Holloway

Corley5

That kitchen's gonna be too nice to use ;D ;D  Looking forward to the finished product 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rebocardo

I always worry about glass around my house, especially if it shatters. So, I like to use polycarbonate for projects. It is very hard to scratch and very clear. I made some windows, a bay and some double hung, from it. You can buy it cheap at U.S. Plastics and it has a higher ignite point (800 degrees) than wood (600 degrees). FWIW.

Jeff

Broken glass is not going to be an option here. Tammy says so. She spent 4 hours cutting that tree out. I have a little more design work to do on the panel before we etch it. To much work in it to risk sandblast etching so we will use chemical.

rebocardo, do you have any informtion on how these polycarbonates react to processes such as etching?

shopteacher

I built my wife a bookcase for Christmas year before last and etched the glass in the doors. We have done some etching at school on some of the kids projects. Really sets them off.  Fortunitly we use a computer and vinyl cutter to make our stencils. You still have to pick out the pieces where you want the etcing to take place, but its easier than making a complete stencil as Tammy is doing.  We use a product called armoretch.  Your going to have a really nice door for your kitchen.  
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

pasbuild

Jeff
 are you going to stage blast / acid etch your glass for that 3D effect?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

QuoteJeff
 are you going to stage blast / acid etch your glass for that 3D effect?

Well, I am not sure what you are asking. We are simply going to spead the etching chemical on the plate, wait 3-5 minutes, then rinse it off.

Norm

Very nice Tammy and Jeff, your kitchen is really going to be one of a kind. 8)

Texas Ranger

My wife, the artist, and I, the labor, have done a fair amount of etching with sand blasting.  Works well, and we get some good 3d effects, but, we use 1/4 inch glass to head off any problems.  May be too much for a cabinet door.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

We got to do a project like that in Chemistry Lab class when I was in high school.  We were given a piece of glass which we melted a thin layer of wax over. Then we took some needle disecting tools and drew a picture or our name or whatever we wanted, in the wax so that the glass was bared.

We then built a Flourine generator which produced a green gas that turned into hydroflouric acid and it etched the bare glass.  It was slow and took over 24 hours.

It was a really cool experiment.

See!   I still remember some of my schooling. ;D

Mark M

You could also use a bead/sand blaster. There are few chemicals that scare me more the hydrofluoric acid. If that's what you use Jeff be DanG careful and use goggles, gloves, and rubber apron. You don't want to get ANY on you, and I mean ZERO!

Mark

Jeff

It says it contains Ammonium/Sodium Bifflourides

Tom

That sounds like hydroflouric acid etching to me :P

When gas etching, stencils don't work too good.  The gas gets under the paper and leaves fuzzy lines or even allows everything to be etched.

You might have to do as we did in High School and use wax.  Even then you have to make sure that the lines are very clean.

Mark is right about being careful. Be careful ;D

I wish I were there.  It sounds like a fun project.

Jeff

I am following the directions of the product. It is called armour-etch.

WV_hillbilly

Are you going to actually use this kitchen when you' re  done .  :D  All those neat and cool things you 're doing .
Hillbilly

Jeff

Were using it now. :D It was fair game as soon as the sink got installed.

Jeff

Well, Its done. (the etching).  I would have been happier if it would have been more pronounced. We may try again when Tammy regains the use of her hands after cutting that stencil. :D  She likes it, but she is not quite as a picky as I am.

The bottom says "The Leaf of a tree shows us the way"

Tom

Really neat, Jeff.  How about telling us how the procedure went and the times involved.   :)

What do you think, Wildflower?  Do you always get stuck with the grunt work? :D

shopteacher

That sure turned out nice Jeff.  Tammy must have a steady hand to do all that cutting. What material did you use for your stencil?  Hey those hickory cabinets are a knock out.  Did you build them?

Jeff

A. Create an image to be used for the etching on the computer, and size it for the project, then print it out. In the case of our tree, we had to make a top and bottom and join them on the project as it was to large for one piece of paper.

B. Cover the glass with contact paper (vinyl), We used a flat wood roller to work out any air bubbles.

C. Use a spray adhesive and glue your printed image to the top of the contact paper and roll again.

D. Using a x-acto with a stencil blade, have your wife ;D carefully cut out the portions of the image you wish to etch.

E. coat the entire etching area with the armour etch. We left it on for what they called for, 5 full minutes. We did this in the bath tub where we could then flood the project, nuetralizing the etching compound, and then simply wash it all in the drain.

F. Remove the vinyl contact paper and wash the glass with any window cleaner.

The etching process is really the easiest and quickest step.

Now, Does anyone have an idea how you could enhance the etching? I am wondering if a dye or ink would bond to the etched surface and not the rest of the glass?

Wildflower

Tom,
Between Jeff and I... I do what I can... Jeff is the artist I just follow his lead. And besides my hands don't hurt like his. I enjoy doing things that are hands on.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Mark M

Jeff I used to make printer circuit boards. Used some stuff called "Resist" solution. Wherever you put it the copper remained and everything else was dissolved by the acid. My kids etched some glasses in school. I think they used masking tape and a glass-bead blaster. If you are not familiar with this it is like a sand blaster in a cabinet for cleaning parts. The glass-beads, which is the "sand", bounces off of anything soft but etches hard surfaces like glass. I know there are photo-chemical processes for etching where you can get really fine detail. What you and Tammy did looks really nice!

Mark

shopteacher

Gee, I usually just take a rubber ducky in the tub with me.

Jeff, I could try some screen printing ink. We got stuff for colth, vinyl, metal, fast dry, slow dry, water base, solvent base,  theres got to be something in there that would stick to the etch and mot the glass.  What color are you interested in?
   Sounds like were being a little mosest there, Tammy.

Fla._Deadheader

True Artisans at work. That thing is gorgeous. 8)

In the finished pic, it looks like there is a two tone effect. How did you accomplish that with just etching???

NICE job.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Harold, what you are seeing is the shadow the etching casts inside the cabinet. The etching may not be as prominent as I would have liked, but I tell ya what it casts an awesome shadow of the tree. I was playing with the flashlight a few minutes ago and was putting an 8 foot perfect tree on the wall. :)

Corley5

That's way  8) 8) guys!  Super good job!!
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

OK. I had to get in close to the monitor. The eyes are going the same way as the brain, downhill.  I was comparing the door to the piece Tammy was cutting out, and it looked like the drooping limb on the right was further toward the ground.

Still, nice job. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Sure a lot of talent in your household,- artistic, as well as craftsmanship.  Very nice.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gus

That would be a wonderful addition to any kitchen Jeff. It is truly beautiful. I noticed the shadow in the background. It has a nice effect. Thanks for sharing with us.
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Patty

WOW!  :o   What a beautiful door! You guys are such a talent. The kitchen is coming along nicely, I must say. It's alot of hard work, but in your case it certainly pays off. Good job.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bill_B

Nice Job. You will enjoy it so much when you are done.
Bill B

rebocardo

> do you have any informtion on how these polycarbonates
> react to processes such as etching

I have no information or any idea.

That is one awesome looking etch. Be nice to have a high resolution picture of the whole thing as a file download

Swede

"do you have any informtion on how these polycarbonates
 react to processes such as etching "

It´s a big difference between glass and plastic materials. F. ex. if you clean  polycarbonate with thinner it´ll be full of small fissures. I get that surprise  when I made a rollerblade for my son ;D

Both materials is good for blasting. When blasting glass aluminium oxide ( grey powder) gives the best result. You get a velvety surface.
I know most about glass but not etching. For a durable  painting on glass you have to heat it to more than 400* Celcius!

Swede. *overwhelmed waching what people are making to their kitchens* :)
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Jeff

Well, its close enough to call DONE! Thank goodness. Now I'm going to tear into my office area soI got room to hang my new forestry forum clock that Shop Teacher made me. Its really cool, but I'll save that for later. I got a bunch of stuff to thank him for...

Heres a picture of Tammy's new kitchen. It really was pretty fun for us. We did all the work ourselves, from electrical to plumbing and gas to all the drywall and carpentry. The only thing we did not do is install the counter tops.

shopteacher

That is one sharp looking kitchen Jeff.  Seeing as how you'll probably want to spend more time there you might have to add a rec room with all the workout equipment next.  Ok Tammy count out those push up for him 1-2-3.................

Furby

Jeff, I was just wondering, since you did such an outstanding job on your kitchen........would you mind doing mine? ;D
I'll give you a head start, you can start from scratch.  ;) ;)

Jeff

Sure, do you want an estimate or do you just want to give me 75% down and let me get started?

Patty

Jeff & Tammy, your kitchen turned out just beautiful!   8)   Makes you feel good when you can look at a job well done.
Can't wait to see it, and you guys, this summer at the picnic.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Budget constraints require use of as much "found in natural state" materials as possible.  
What's your estimate on grinding some "natural state" granite for counter tops?  ;D
How about full log cabinets?  ;) ;)

Thank You Sponsors!