iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sunflower Seed

Started by Autocar, January 13, 2012, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Any of you guys out in Kansas grow sunflowers on your farms. I wonder what they get a bushel for them. I broke down and bought 25 lb. bag and it cost $18.97 if I remember last year I bought 50 lbs for that price. I know everything is higher now a days but was just curious what the producer got a bushel.
Bill

beenthere

You should stop eating sunflower seeds.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Taylortractornut

I grow them here for polination purposes.   I have a friend that grows 900 acres of them for a feed mill I cant remember the  price he got last year but its pretty good.
My overload permit starts after sunset

thecfarm

I noticed the price jump too. I have not been getting many birds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Papa1stuff

I just paid $45.00 for 50# in florida ,didn't want to but Wife feeds them to some of her squrrill (sp) friends ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

kderby

I am feeding the wild "tweety" birds and paid $44.00 for 50#.  Cracked corn as a treat for the for the chickens is around $14 for #50.  The chickens hang around under the bird feeder.  At that price spread, scavenging is the only way the chickens will ever get a sunflower seed!

Kderby

Autocar

Now after hearing those prices you have me wondering. Do you think theres a bushel in a fifty pound bag ? Just to guess I would lean more towards one and half bags from a bushel. Very interesting  :D
Bill

beenthere

I paid $24.99 for 50# last time I bought. That was two weeks ago.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wesdor

Farm & Fleet on Moline, Il has it for $26.95 for 50 pounds

We try to grow some sunflowers each year for the birds, but this year we didn't get much of a crop

Chuck White

We just got a 40# bag at Tractor Supply last week $29.99.

Packaging seems to be everything these days...... Initially it looks like "I'm buying a bag of sunflower seeds for $29.99 this year and last year they were over $40.00".

This year they are 40# bags, whereas last year they were 50# bags.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!