iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are Black Walnut logs worth?

Started by rockman, January 13, 2012, 09:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockman

I hope this is the right place for this question. A local tree service has some black walnut logs advertised on craigslist, they are going to send me some photo's. I am wondering what they are worth? I know the local mills only pay about $30.00 per ton for hardwood.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

ely

you have to go look at the logs in person in order to get a real idea... just off the cuff like that i tell people i give .25 a bdft for logs if they bring them to me.

i can always adjust that price if they show up with sure enough top notch walnut, fell and bucked properly.

quote a decent price over the phone,site unseen... and they will beat a path to your door with load after load of firewood grade walnut.

in my experience most tree service logs have some sort of hardware in them.., general rule number three.

rockman

I asked about metal, I'm thinking anything above the butt log should be "safe"? I need to build a headboard and T.V. stand, think if I can get a fair deal might make some pretty furniture.

Thanks for the input.
Kevin
Husqvarna 455 rancher

pineywoods

Quote from: rockman on January 13, 2012, 09:42:53 AM
I asked about metal, I'm thinking anything above the butt log should be "safe"?
Kevin

Never assume anything with yard trees. I have hit metal 30 ft from the butt..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rockman

Quote from: pineywoods on January 13, 2012, 10:36:35 AM
Quote from: rockman on January 13, 2012, 09:42:53 AM
I asked about metal, I'm thinking anything above the butt log should be "safe"?
Kevin

danG, I knew I was gonna hear that. I guess I'll go look at them and see what I can see.

Thanks again
Husqvarna 455 rancher

metalspinner

The metal that is surely in them wouldn't cancel the deal for me - just lower the price I'm willing to pay.  For your own personal use as furniture, just about any logs over 3-4 feet have good wood in them.  If you have your own saw, then this is certainly the case.  Some sawyers don't like to cut shorts and might charge a different rate for doing so. Shorts with metal would negate any deal. 

BTW, walnut is the only wood worth the hassle of dealing with shorts and metal, IMHO.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Especially look for this on the log ends.

The blue is a sure indicator of metal, but without it, there still could be metal or worse.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

[/quote]

Ditto that!  I cut up a really big, old urban pecan tree once that had old cut nails in it at about 15' above ground.  (Wasn't milling back then; just cutting it down and up.)  The nails were buried way deep in the wood.  Figured it was probably from some kid's tree house "back in the day."
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

GF

MM, that walnut log looks like it had an entire hardware store inside of it.

GF

Al_Smith

Quote from: nomad on January 13, 2012, 06:34:26 PM

Figured it was probably from some kid's tree house "back in the day."
--and then there was old Al as young Al of about 10 years of age who built a tree house in an apple tree . Then 50 years later the tree got even with him and cleaned  the chain off a 200T as he was dead wooding the tree . :D

Magicman

Quote from: GF on January 13, 2012, 07:29:39 PM
MM, that walnut log looks like it had an entire hardware store inside of it.GF

It was net wire fencing that extended  53" up from the butt.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

Look for signs of lightening strike (even a smallish strike can alter a log useless), healing linear bark markings. Also, heart rot and internal voids are common up in Pa. I pay a few hundred bucks for awesome huge ones, but generally just a "little" as I am usually bringing my truck to get them (which also involves my time and fuel at 6-7 mpg).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

T Welsh

rockman, Walnut is worth as much as you want to pay for it. and thats how I sell my logs. just because a tree service has it doesnt mean that its bad or full of metal. you have to put your log buyer hat on and go and look at it. I own a tree service and sell logs every week. The logs I sell are top of the line and get top dollar for them,depending what area you are in expect to pay about 0.25 to 0.50 cents a BF for regular grade logs and about 0.50 to 1.00 for premium logs. If the log shows signs of metal. the mills will not buy it,so the price drops down to firewood pulpwood and firewood price. Cheap! start bartering! Tim

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/agcLlKcXp40

So true!   ::)

While we've sawn mountains of walnut logs into lumber, we didn't buy the logs or market the lumber.  Most all of it ended up exported to Europe or Asia.   We, our sawmill, have very little market for walnut.  It makes good firewood.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rockman

That says it just about right Bibbyman.
Husqvarna 455 rancher

Thank You Sponsors!