iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just getting started

Started by KeithJones, November 16, 2011, 12:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Load the pic you want us to see. ;)

Once the pic is in your gallery, just click on it and scroll down below that pic to see how to paste it in your post. And you can do this by going to "modify" on your last post. It is not difficult.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shelbycharger400

is that funky arrow pointin to somethin hidden?
that sure is a odd boundary.
80 acres, you would definately take you a while to clean out the dead trees.  sounds and looks like you should have a nice hunting place next to that creek or river

KeithJones

Let's try this and see if it works...

Two of these, the really brushy ones are areas right beside the house, just off the yard.  I'm thinking I'd like to do some wildlife habitat for rabbits, possibly even quail, though that's a long shot around here.

The one that's on a slope isn't ready to be logged, but probably will be in a few years.  Probably just going to do a low intensity burn to kill some of the undergrowth and remove some fuel off the ground, then some thinning and culling. 

The other one won't be ready to be harvested for quite a while, but I want to do some thinning.  There's quite a few walnut trees growing there so I'm thinking maybe some brush piles and burning to promote some plants growing down low.

I'm not sure if any of these pics show anything that can help.  Basically, I just took some shots of some of the areas I want to work on first.  I know I can get carried away with my "projects" so I want to get plenty of opinions and input before I start doing anything.

shelbycharger400

reminds me of the lake house whereas it is 5 acres none the less,   15 years ago, we cut out a lot of underbrush,  and the trees that are on the edge of the clearing areas have grown quite a bit  more vrs the ones still in the woods left untouched. 

WDH

My experience is that fire is detrimental to hardwoods.  Scarring by the fire on the butts create an entry point for butt rot fungus.  Burning the areas that you want quail and rabbits is perfect as that will maintain early successional plants that rabbits and quail occur, especially the seed bearing weeds.  In the established hardwood stands, you might consider hack-n-squirt with a herbicide to remove undesirable species leaving the more desirable species.  Fire in these stands could be more harmful than helpful unless you want to get rid of the hardwood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KeithJones

I have a few questions, the more I study up on TSI.  First, what tree density would be ideal for timber production?  I read on MDC's website that prior to European settlement, the density was usually around 10-60 trees per acre.  The article I was reading was for quail habitat, so the author was trying to keep the density somewhere between 50 and 120 trees.  I want to increase the quality of wildlife habitat on my land, as well as improving for timber production.  Second, I'm wanting to increase the amount of grass and other plants under the trees.  Is it appropriate to plant a seed mixture under the trees?  I had considered doing a very light prescribed burn, but there really doesn't seem to be much leaf matter on the ground in the first place, and since I have no friends who are interested in what I'm doing, getting help with a burn won't happen, so I'm probably better off using the hack and squirt method mentioned in another post.  I know fire can be detrimental, but it is used a lot by the MDC and the USFS to restore woodlands back to their original composition and increase the number of species on the forest floor.

Thank You Sponsors!