iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wavy boards

Started by Bogue Chitto, January 12, 2012, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

Since I ordered new blades my boards are all wavy.  Is there a way to look at the blades and tell if they are bad or set wrong?

1938farmall

has the down pressure on your guides changed?  should be about 1/4".  just a guess.  al
aka oldnorskie

Bogue Chitto

Last month every thing has been readjusted to factory specs. I am pretty sure it is the blades because older blades cut just fine so far.

Jeff

Did you get the same kind of blades? Same thickness, pitch and manufacturer? Are you cutting the same species of wood as you were before?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bogue Chitto

Yes, Pine logs.  This happens mainly on logs over 15".  I will start say at 10" from the deck and it will come out at the other end 9" with waves in between.

Chuck White

Sure sounds like something is not aligned!

Is the blade square with the bed?

Almost sounds like the bunks are not aligned with each other.  Re: 10 inch entrance and 9 inch exit!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bogue Chitto

Bed is square. -- On these new blades, as I watch the blade while traveling down the log it will begin to move down binding on the engine. It will not do it on my older blades that I have had sharpened.  I think that the new blades are set wrong. Is there a way to tell if the tooth set is wrong.  I don't have a gauge or any tool to check tooth angle.

pineywoods

Sounds like not enough set in the blade. Cutting pine, You need a bunch, 20 thou minimum, 25 or 30 better. Could also be just plain DULL and you are pushing the blade past it's capability.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Also, are the teeth on the inside contacting the roller guide such that it is removing the set on half the teeth?

Best to get a gauge to check the set. It will come in handy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

i have got bad bands out of the box before, its rare but it has happened. i can look at a band and tell if it has enough set to suit my needs... but then i have a setter and have looked at alot of them.

without being there it would be hard for me to form an opinion.

Bogue Chitto

Sawing for 6yrs.  at same speed as always. 

ely

probably not with those bands though....just sayin. things change for no reason at all, you should know that from running a sawmill. ;D

ladylake

Just hold the bands up to good light and look at them from the side, you'll see the set or lack of it.  Compare your new and old blades.  Did you get the same brand, hook angle, thickness?   Have you tried your old blades after having trouble with your new ones?     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

Sure you can check the set on band teeth. I use a caliper micrometer. Hold one of the jaws againsst the back of the band flat( body) and the other against the tip of the set tooth. it should read band thickness plus set on my blades which are .042 I shoot for a set of about .070. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Chitto,I'd put one of your old bands on and try it,if it cuts fine the new bands would be suspect.If you don't have any measuring tools look down on the band in good light the set tooth should be offset about half the thickness of the band body.Sounds like you don't have even set on one side. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bogue Chitto

Looks like every other tooth is set to the same side.

beenthere

Think you found the problem. :)
Now to decide when it happened, and if on your end, how it happened.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bogue Chitto

New one out of the box never used.  I will send the blades back.  Thank You every one for your help.  This is a very good sight with good people.  Thank you again.

Magicman

Now Bogue Chitto, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about a short introduction about yourself and your operation.  I live within a mile of the Bogue Chitto River, but it is quite small here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

Thank you, Mr. Magic man.  I live north of the small town of Franklinton La. on the Bogue Chitto river.  (South of Tylertown Ms.)  We grow timber and run a Blue berry farm.  When I am not working I am sawing or deer hunting with my sons.
I mostly saw at home.  ( My logs or customers bring me theirs.)

Magicman

I have a good friend that was the mayor of Angie, and we play Boling Green in basketball.  Yup, I know  where Franklinton is. 

Again, Welcome.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

WDH

I have been there!  My Company owns a whack of land in that area.  I put in a Wetlands Mitigation Bank not far from there at Talisheek, just outside of Abita Springs.

Welcome!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

:)  Small World.   Brookhaven Academy here.

paul case

Well I haven't been there ..... that I know of.
Welcome to the Forum Bogue Chitto. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!