iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting shorts

Started by fivedogs, January 12, 2012, 03:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivedogs

We  have some  nice  18 to 20  inch  diameter  cedar  about   about 18 inches long  woulkd like to saw them for  some wood working  projects   too short to  hold  down  well   any ideas  a jig of some  sort  maybe ? like to know  what  ideas  any one has for this . Thanks fivedogs 

Cedarman

This is how I would do it on our WM.
Raise your side dogs and place a junk 10 or 12" board vertically like you would edge it.  Place a couple boards on the bed and set the log on the boards and clamp the piece up against the vertical board.
Saw away.  You can saw about 1/2 way through and then turn log over . Lower side dogs and continue sawing.  You may waste your vertical board if you don't have something to keep the log from moving while you saw.
Or after cutting a couple flitches off the top, rotate 90 degrees or 180 degrees and clamp against the vertical board.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom the Sawyer

fivedogs,

I have had a similar request from an artist who salvaged unsplit firewood sections and thought little pieces would be easier to handle.  He wanted both thin boards (3/8 and 5/8) and live edges.  I have tried several clamping methods. This method wasn't perfect but got the job done.

I used two pipe clamps with 4' pipes so they would span the bunks on my B-20.  I drilled two holes in the face of each clamp and put in 5/16" x 1.5" bolts with the ends ground to a point to dig into the wood.  I clamped the 'log' lengthwise with the clamps about 6-8" apart so they gave me somewhat of a stable foundation.  I then strapped the pipes down to the bunks.  Enter the log slowly and if you don't go too fast you should be able to get it sawn.  On the denser logs (hedge/white oak) it still wanted to follow the blade towards the dogs but a 2x6 laid flat kept it from moving too far.  With the clamps the bottom board will end up at 8/4 or so.

I have had requests like this several times and I am working on designing a more versatile jig for these types of cuts.  This type of sawing is charged by the hour and I sure wouldn't want to do very much of it but the artist was impressed that I would try to help him with his project and has returned with longer pieces and referred me to several others he knows.   8)
Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

hilltop

fivedogs, I have pictures posted somewhere on here on how i did it but i cant tell you how to get to them they are in my gallery if you can get to them i have a terrible time trying to post pictures, i think the tpoic was (clamping short stock on mill) Maybe you can find it, i cant remember how to post them again, hope this helps.

shelbycharger400

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55233.msg799473.html#msg799473

some of Hilltop's pictures are their as well as mine.
clamping short logs are a bear!  Its been winter the last 2 to 3 days here so i havent done much , im working on the next set of dogs (trial number 3 or 4 cant remember)

I found hilltops other post..  clamping shorts on mill ..  i call them consumables
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53400.20.html

Thank You Sponsors!