iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bright green wood?

Started by gspren, January 11, 2012, 06:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I am cutting and splitting fire wood off of a pile of logs left from a pipe line crossing my land last summer so I am not the one that cut these trees down. The wood in question is bright green when first cut but starts to dull the next day. The ends of the logs that were cut last June are now deep red to purple and the bark reminds me of some of the maples, not smooth but not course like locust. The majority of the logs from the pipe line ROW on my farm are cherry and locust with a few maples and I am familiar with them. This green, turning purple wood is also very wet compared to the other logs off the same stack. I hope its worth burning next year. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I feel anything can be burned IF it is cut and split and dried. Just might need more of it. But that is another whole topic.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

If the bark is smoother rather than rougher, it is probably cucumber tree, Magnolia acuminata.  It has the green heartwood, just like yellow poplar.  It is one of these two, for sure.  The leaves are very different.  Cucumber tree's leaf is a simple, entire leaf while yellow poplar has a truncated leaf which looks someone took some scissors and cut the top 1/3 of the leaf off.

Cucumber tree bark is ridged, just not as deeply or as rough as yellow poplar.  Young yellow poplar can have smooth bark that seems striped with lines that eventually become the furrows between the ridges in the bark.  What size was the tree?

There is worse firewood, but once dry, it will be light and burn up quickly with fewer coals than most hardwood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lynches lumber

Where do ya get one of these cucumber trees? Im getting tired of having to bend over to pick my cucumbers. ;D

gspren

I don't know if yellow poplar is the same as what we call tulip poplar which is pale green when cut and the cut ends turn grey after a few months but this wood looks nothing like the poplar I normally see. The biggest section of this wood was about 16" Dia. These trees were not from normal woodland but from a section of pasture that was too steep to mow so it tended to mostly locust and cherry. The ends turning dark red instead of grey is what puzzled me. There is even a chance that the pipeline crew brought a few extra logs here from somewhere else just to get rid of them, I told them where to pile anything big enough to cut for burning and the pile of logs I got was bigger than I expected from my land.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I didn't know how common cucumber tree would be up in PA, it seems to be the edge of the range, so I suspect sparse. But could be. I think those two are quite variable in color according to the ID books.

Of course we have no photos. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

You see cucumber tree in the mountains and upper Piedmont.  It likes a little elevation. 

Lynches Lumber,

I have heard that money grows on trees, like cucumbers, but I have never seen one of those in the wild  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buck

Quote from: lynches lumber on January 12, 2012, 07:50:04 AM
Where do ya get one of these cucumber trees? Im getting tired of having to bend over to pick my cucumbers. ;D

+1 on the picking. Might be like taking the ole 22 out and getting mistle toe. Norm might even get into this 8)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

He shoots silos, so why not trees  :D.

lynches lumber

WDH if I did ever see one of them money trees in the wild there sure wouldnt be any felling. Can you say transplant?

zopi

Be my luck that sucker would freeze.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

gspren

When I stacked the wood this morning I kept a small piece with bark so that when I get around to figuring out how to get pictures on my computer and then on here I will post again. WDH, I see you are from Perry,GA. We spent a few days there the end of Sept visiting some relatives, nice country.
Gary

OneWithWood

Does the wood have a distinctive odor?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

JohnW

Sounds like you're ruling out the poplar, and you're probably right to do so.  Yes, yellow poplar = tulip poplar.  It's the only green wood I've seen, but I wouldn't call it bright green.  It's not green on the ends.  When you split it, you're likely to see green in the center, on the side of the piece of wood.  A dull green.  Otherwise, the wood is quite white.  The bark is slightly rough.  Poplar trees usually grow large.  If you have black locust and cherry, I'd expect the poplar to be 20" trees and larger.

gspren

Today I went past that stack of wood that has now been split for a bit over 2 weeks and it is now a light brown color, the bright green doesn't last long. These are fence row trees, I don't see them in my woods. I am going to send a piece with a friend to show his son that is a forester for the state. I don't NEED to know, I just WANT to know since I never cut any before. If I get a positive ID I will post it. Thanks everyone!

OneWithWood

Green to brown sure sounds like tulip poplar.  The only other wood that I have seen that goes from green to brown is walnut.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

tyb525

Black locust can go green to brown also
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

So will cucumber magnolia. 

metalspinner

I've cut into poplar that must have been mold or fungus infected becasue it had plenty of red in it.  But it also had lots of black and stunk to high heaven.  For fun, I called it Tennessee Ebony. It was a log I marked to cut stickers from, but after seeing it opened up, we cut thick bowl turning stock. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

I just had a guy call me looking for black-heart poplar.  He was a bowl carver, not a bowl turner. 

SwampDonkey

We have lots of black heart maple in the woods up here. I wonder if that would do. :D

Okrafarmer

Sometimes we find 4-colored tulip-tree (yellow poplar) wood. It can have yellow, green, red, and purple all in the same piece of wood. That we refer to as Rainbow Poplar, and I have sold pieces of firewood of that stuff for $10 each to turners.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

gspren

I sent a piece by way of a friend to a forester who says definatly Osage Orange, I have about 3/4 of a cord cut and stacked so next winter I'll see how it burns.

Okrafarmer

Well, be sure not to put too much of it in your stove at once. Unless you want to melt the stove.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!