iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is S P F S Lumber ?

Started by g_man, January 11, 2012, 12:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I bought some 2X4s today and they are marked S P F S. I am used to seeing the normal Spruce Pine Fir or S P F and was just curious what this marking ment.

idamill

my guess is spruce pine fir surfaced. surfaced meaning planed on 4 sides

beenthere

Stands for Spruce Pine Fir South

It is a grade that includes more species than the SPF grouping. It also carries a lower design factor where that is important.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

How Fir South do you have to go before you find Spruce Pine  ???

Spruce pine fir south is weaker.  Specific gravity of spf is 0.42.  for spf south it is 0.36.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

Quote from: Magicman on January 11, 2012, 02:17:35 PM
How Fir South do you have to go before you find Spruce Pine  ???

Spruce pine fir south is weaker.  Specific gravity of spf is 0.42.  for spf south it is 0.36.

When species are added to a grouping, the design values (and specific gravity for the group) is for the lowest (weakest) species in there. A couple of these lower species are not in the SPF grouping.
Some mills don't or can't easily separate out these lower species so have a grouping that they can stamp.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VictorH

g_man

Thanks- thats a new one for me - google didn't know either. These were 2X4/8' studs. Up here they are normally only used for non bearing interior petitions. So it makes sense - I guess.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!