iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

POULAN PRO 295-20 Gas Chain Saw !

Started by doom2, February 07, 2004, 02:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doom2

Hi!

Does somebody have any experience with Poulan Pro chainsaws?
How good they are?

Thank you
DS

SasquatchMan

You'll hear two types of stories from poulan owners.  On on hand, there's a group of guys who bought an inexpensive saw, and have had hours of trouble-free use from it, well over the 50 hours the saw is "rated" for (the epa rating).  On the other hand, there seem to be some people who buy these things, never have them work correctly, can't get service or parts, and hate the suckers.  

Buy one, fire it up, and if it runs, cut with it till it dies.  If it doesn' work well right away, take it back to the store.  I was considering a poulan, and wound up buying a Stihl 290, - not a great saw but a vast improvement on the poulan by all accounts.  Other reasonably priced saws are the dolmar/makitas and the medium sized husky/jonsered products (like the husky 353).

You need to figure out how much cutting you are going to do, and how important it is for you to have a reliable saw or a long-living one...
Senior Member?  That's funny.

doom2

Hi!
 Appriciate you feedback.
I'm looking for a good gas chainsaw with at least 20 each bar that will last for a while.
Any suggestions?
By the way will you buy used one on ebay?

Cheers DS.

Blue9R

Doom,

The Poulan Pro is a 46cc saw running .325 pitch, .050 chain.  It is basically a limbing or firewood saw in a performance class with the Stihl 025 and Husky 345, although the quality and features are perceived to be not at the same level.

Regardless, as Sasquatch indicated, if the saw has no warranty issues after the first 2-5 hrs, you've got yourself a good runner that will provide approximately 100 hrs or more  of service.

It's my understanding that the refurbished saws available on Ebay have failed some level of quality check on the production line and are sold to a rebuilder/warranty house.  Most of the problems are either components that failed immediately, cosmetic defects or some minor assembly error.  Either way, if the probem is fixed correctly, these saws will last as long or longer than a saw sold thru normal distribution.

J_T

Sasquatch Man Ha ve ran a 290 I though it did reel good I have a 310 with 3/8 chain .Had a sack full Poolans never ran a poolan pro unless someone gives me one I won't.Had a 3400 poolan someone gave me put new bar an chain on it took it to saw shop told guy see if he could get my 65 bucks out of it.Bar an chain will fit some Ecos 8) Have heard if you sit one becide a flower bed then mulch when you see the handle a few years later it is time to mulch again . ;D
Jim Holloway

SasquatchMan

:D :D  Hey J_T you can use em in the winter too to see if it's snowing.

I've only had my 290 for six months and I'm really happy with it.  I got it on sale with a case and 2 chains for 479 Cdn.  I wanted a saw the was going to be serviceable, and I have Stihl dealers in every direction.  Jonsered had the 2148 on for 489 and I think the Husky353 and 55r were in that range too.

Doom2 I wouldn't buy used unless I could get the saw checked out by a shop - you just never know how some dummy has screwed something up... better off to have a new one and screw it up yourself. ;)

Senior Member?  That's funny.

J_T

Sasquatch Man I gave 345 U S no tax I'm a farmer. Didn't ask about warrenty know the dealer . Dealer I use to buy from got old and quit. I miss him he was a little higher but was always cheaper in the long run.If he sold you a saw and you had a problem he would stop everything and fix what he sold first or loan you one . I am to old to pull on a rope .Also while I was thare I got hard hat and chaps.
Jim Holloway

rebocardo

I have made more money with my $139 Poulan "Wild Thing" 2375 then my Husky 365, which was in the repair shop at one time for 19 days. It does have some quality issues, like leaking oil. I do clean my saw after every use and clean the air filter and spark plug regularly and lube stuff even though it does not "require" it.

But, as someone noted about rated life, I have well over 50 hours. Maybe 100+ of cutting, not counting idling. It has probably seen at least six gallons of oil through it if that gives you an idea about how much I have used it. No repairs.

Corley5

They only rate those saws to last for 50 to 100 hours :o  That can't be good.  Get a Husky XP ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Duane_Moore

:) Gee Guys, for the money and a hobby saw, there good,  lite weight, get parts anywhere... good bars.  no hastle to repair.  A good learning saw. not to be compared to the 400$ saws. you can get many hrs out of one, just take care of it. and yes they are a throw away saw, but how much is a used  290 with say 200hrs on it worth? gota get new bar, new chain, new sprocket, tune up.   noway, go buy another poulan.  Lot of people can't afford a 400$ saw to start out with. 2150 with 16" bar. about 100$ . Just my way of thinking. and try to get parts for an old Stihl over 10 yrs old, no way. been there done that. you will pick up some saws as you go along, seams we all do, got a shead full of them now, just hang in there, and God Bless be careful, get Hat & chaps.  Happy Sawing.    Duh--- 8)Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

J_T

Duane I spent two hundred bucks trying to get out of buying a saw.That poolan would start like new at the house go to the woods you could pull on it till the rope smoked  >:( Between the cash gas lost work head, ack ,back,arm ect Sometimes cheap an't cheap Ps. I know I am cheaper than Dan G ;D also went thru my shed full of saws various brands .I know some of them saws can't be a day over 20.
Jim Holloway

Duane_Moore

;D ;D J_T over 20, new stuff huh??? and gas. ya mean they got saws with motors now?? my, my, what's this world coming to? Yanky Enenuity.. that beat all. motor powered saws?   Duh---Duane ;D ;D ;D
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

tony_marks

the 295 is an good saw for the money..it ll vapor lock on u at times but thats my only complaint.. iuse 93 octane husky 45-1 mix so mabe thats causing the vapor lock..
 as to refurbished saws being saws that didnt make the grade.. it possible.. but i rather think its saws that were brought back to lowes an sears due to buyer lack of knowledge of the tool..
 the first time buyer and less experienced are more likely to buy these saws..jmo whichs is why the ones at lowes come with too much bar for the saw.. longer bar translates to bigger saw,,tothe inexperienced buyer.. lookat the same cc saws in their husky line ..ive found a pretty good combo.. 16 inch husky bar and 95 vp chain..try it u will be able to surprise some high end saw owners..would i trade my 026 for an 295 ,not a chance..but it is an inexpensive way to own a good fast saw..
  maintenance being even more important as the pp does,, i think come with less quality pts than the better huskysdo..

Thank You Sponsors!