iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Grandma's rocking chair

Started by Jeff, January 11, 2012, 12:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have the rocking chair that my dad was rocked in as a baby, as well as all of his other siblings. It came into our house when I was in my teens when it was given to my Dad by his oldest Sister Lena. It was covered in several coats of paint and Dad had said it had at least 6 sets of rockers on it that he knew of. It was our father and son goal at that time to strip it and refinish it, but I ended up moving away from home as soon as I graduated high school, and we never got  it finished, but had a good start on it. The rockers then were in pretty poor shape.

Well, time went on and my sisters got together one day and kidnapped the rocker. The plan was to have it professionally stripped, then my brother-in-law was going to build new rockers for it and finish it. I heard about it after it was done.

After Dad and then Mom died, it was decided that I would get the rocker. Its a great old chair. Solid, comfortable to sit in, in fact, its my chair of choice if I happen to have a back ache or something. The thing about it is, is the rockers. My brother-in-law was obviously not a woodworker.  They appear to be pine, one is different shape from the other, and they are different colors not to mention that he made flat spots on the bottom. Why? I guess because the pine he used was so soft. I can't imagine he made them that way, but I suppose anything is possible with Butch. He might have uses one of the old ones for a pattern, including the wear. DUH. So you can imagine how it rocks.

At some point I am going to go visit Burlkraft for a few days and take the rocker with me so we can build some new rockers for it. What I don't know is, what the style should be. The rockers on it just don't seem like they are of the correct style let alone all the other issues with them. 

Any thoughts?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

I have my grandmothers old rocker, rocked four generations in it.  Springs are weak, the seat cover is worn, and the seat is low, as it would have been in the 1890's.  Both daughters want it, but I think I will let them fight it out after I am gone, I have grandkids to rock.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I really like that design where the arms curve up and become the back.  The back is also very nicely done.

It could be that the boards that Butch made the rockers from were a bit narrow and without considering the consequences, put the runout on the bottom, but as you said, "anything is possible".

It will be interesting to see after some Burlkraft dust is sprinkled on it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sprucegum

I can't find it right now but there is a site where you can calculate the arc of the rocker to match your leg length. When the pendulum of the rock motion equals the speed of your heartbeat at rest - you get a very relaxing ride.

For style you could put a curl on the back end sorta like the arms have on front, or not and it will still look good.

T Welsh

Jeff, Go with a pattern that is pleasing to the eye and works with the chair, and with you in it. I am sure that it will stay in the family,so altering it will have no meaning other than you fixed it ;D. Tim

CHARLIE

1. For a quick fix of the flat spots.  Lay a 12 inch long 2"X4" along side a rocker.  Transpose the arc of the bottom of the rocker onto the 2"X4" with a pencil.  Cut out the arc in the 2"X4" with a bandsaw. Glue some 80 grit sandpaper (heavy automotive grade) into the arc of the 2"X4".  Now flip the chair over and run the arc sander back and forth on the bottom of the rockers until the flat spots are gone.

2. I built a rocking horse for my granddaughter several years ago using construction grade "white wood" (probably spruce). When I made the rockers, I glued a 1/8" thick piece of oak onto the bottom of each one to make them more durable. It did.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WildDog

Beautiful looking chair Jeff and nice to have the history go with it. I've never had the luxury of sitting in a rocker, not sure why but they arn't common down here. Probably too much work went into making them, we're a pretty basic bunch :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Lud

I like Charlie's idea of sanding the flat out of the arc.  Transfer the arc to a 2 x 4  and "fix it" with pencil .  It's good to mark this pattern with Front and Back, etc.
cut out the 2 x 4 and carefully trace back to the runners which looks a bit heavy.  Then a sabersaw trim and a bit of planing and scraping.  Flip the cchair upside down on some sawhorses and as you plane the runners , lay a yardstick across to test for parallel to the floor.  Flip and test the rocking periodically.  Snooze if you can.

Hang the pattern in your shop for reference.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

As I say,If there's a fire,grab the rocking chair. That chair has some history in it. The only thing I have is an old china closet that was delivered by train in town.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Matching Burlkraft rockers is the best idea, because he is off of his rocker anyway.   ;D  After all, what are friends for  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

The chair is Maple, and the rockers are two different shapes and species of a soft pine. I think it should have maple rockers.

Sprucegum

I will second that motion - go with maple. If you have a crooked log; now would be a good time to use it  ;)

Burlkraft

I think it would look good with the wider style we saw in that store.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just think.....if this rocker could talk, all the stories it could tell!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

I think a thicker and wider rocker would look good on it. And yes maple should be used to match the rest, I'm also sure that between you two a solution will come around or arc itself  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WildDog

QuoteI've never had the luxury of sitting in a rocker, not sure why but they arn't common down here.

I have now sat in a rocking chair, 8)  ironically I just got back from a holiday at my parents farm and mum has a residential house as well in the nearest town, I went in to have a look at her new sunroom and there was this rocking chair, stupidly I said what's that? :D not the same quality as yours Jeff but after rocking it, hopefully it will be left to me.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

5quarter

Jeff...That chair originally had wide, flat runners on it similar to the arms. The wood will have to be bent to get the curve. If you pull off one of the runners, you should see a screw hole instead of a dowel. originally it would have been attached with a countersunk screw. That chair was built around 1885-1890...very popular. also, it would have had a dark rosewood finish, the preferred look at that time.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Jeff

Sitting looking at the rocker, I've had the impression that the rockers might have looked as you describe. I wish it was within my abilities to make them like that.

Clam77

Sounds like a challenge for SwampDonkey..    :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!