iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minced Meat?

Started by Magicman, January 11, 2012, 10:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

On another board, the topic of "minced meat" came up.  How do you make it, cook it, prepare it?  I have heard of minced meat pies, but it is not something that I am familiar with.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

I think you just call it Ground Beef or Hamburger Meat in the States?

It's called Mince (Minced beef / chicken / pork) pretty much everywhere else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_mince

Mince pies are a NZ and Australian Standard "Food to go". We buy pies at sports games ike Americans would buy hot dogs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_and_New_Zealand_meat_pie

The fancy ones will have cheese or mushroom, or some other exotic extras.

Heck last time we flew overseas on Air New Zealand the meal was a Mince and Mushroom Pie and a "Tiptop" brand iceream on a stick  :D  Actually as far as airline food goes, it was very good. Pies are designed to sit in a warmer for a couple of hours and still be edible, so perfect to hand out to passengers on a plane..

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Of course it's standing joke that you never quite know what's in a meat pie. (A bit like a hot dog?)

From the Wikipedia Article.
QuoteThe meats allowed by FSANZ in a meat pie are beef, buffalo, camel, cattle, deer, goat, hare, pig, poultry, rabbit and sheep. Kangaroo meat, a leaner alternative, is also sometimes used. However, most pie manufacturers specify 'beef' in their ingredients list; typically, those using other types of meat will simply put 'meat' in the list instead. FSANZ's definition of meat includes snouts, ears, tongue roots, tendons and blood vessels. Only offal (such as brain, heart, kidney, liver, tongue, tripe) must be specified on the label. Wild animals ("slaughtered ... in the wild state") may not be used

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Of course I Googled it and being a sheltered Southern Redneck, I do not know what "currants" are either.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

You get currants (small red berry) off a currant bush. ;)  They were near like gooseberries, but smaller in size.

I recall mince meat pie was made mostly from canned meat. In the old days, before refrigeration and freezers, meat was canned. I suspect mince meat pie was to use up the meat and flavor it with berries and other spices to cover the taste of the meat.

I do recall eating mince meat pie but never was real excited about it.  Usually was at an older relative's home.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on January 11, 2012, 02:42:07 PM
Of course I Googled it and being a sheltered Southern Redneck, I do not know what "currants" are either.   :-\

Probably thinking of Fruit Mince pies then. That's more of an English Thing. Usually dried fruit, like you would put in a Fruit Cake. Currants are little berries, a bit like Cranberries I guess. They look and taste similar when dried.

Meat pies in this part of the world are a handful of artery clogging goodness, even if the ingredients are a bit of a mystery.  :D

Ian

Magicman

Most of the mince meat recipes that I looked at called for meat, but they all seemed to include currants.

I remember my Grandparents canning meat.  They had a sealer that secured the top and I'm sure that the cans then went into a pressure cooker.  ??

Ianab

Strange...

Maybe that's why Mince Pies have never caught on in the States  ??? :D

Ian

thecfarm

My Grand Mother had a great mince meat pie recipe. I never really cared for it for some reason. She use to like it when we we get a deer and give her the neck for the meat. Mince meat is a big deal in this area. There was a small store that would sell it,just the mince meat,you had to make the pie yourself.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

SwampDonkey

I guess the Maritimes and Maine are the only places on the continent that do minced meat pie. ::) With all those deer, a fella has to be creative with your meat. Maybe not. Some fellas could eat steak and potatoes day after day. :D

I can get the recipe from mother tomorrow. I no longer eat pies of any kind, but warm minced meat pie was real good. Any that grandma and mother ever made none was turned away, if you like pie. ;D

As I said, it's best warmed up. To me anyway.  Oh, and we use raisins, candied 3-citrus peel, apple, and spices as far as I know, although currants at one time were in everyone's back yard like rhubarb. ;)  The darn things grow wild around here to, I know they are out behind the house in the old orchard I cleaned out.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I watched the video.  I was rooting for the Chef.   :D

Mooseherder

I can't remember the last time Minced Meat pie was served but I'd bet it was over 40 years ago and it had raisins in it.  I gotta find a raisin pie recipe because I do remember liking raisins in pie. :D

Ianab

This is how you make Mince Pies.

http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/mini-mince-pies/story/3786686/

That's for little "Muffin" sized ones. They can be bigger or smaller depending how hungry you are, and can have other ingredients added if you want a "Mince and ???".

Oh,  and another bit of Pie culture "Always blow on the Pie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzs70o9u9NQ

Ian

WDH

I remember the meat pies that I had in Tumut, Australia very fondly.  Very fondly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I can see a difference between our mincemeat pies and meat pies. Two different "pies". :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I'll just stick with pasties when I can get up toward the UP.   food3

CHARLIE

Mincemeat pies are very sweet and spicey. So much so that you really can't tell there is meat in it.  This link is a recipe to make mincemeat.  It's just as easy to buy a cake of mincemeat at your grocery store though.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mincemeat-pie-filling/detail.aspx
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

The minced meat pie filling in stores, at least around here, have no meat in it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Intresting,I would check this store but they closed up last year. My Aunt use to buy it and knowing her if there was no meat,she would tell them about it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Grandma Jean used to make mince meat pies for the Holidays.  They were a dessert item served with the other pies.  There were also green tomato mince meat pies but I don't remember much about them.  I'll have to ask Mom  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Minced meat was not a family tradition for us, but different locales had/have different ways of preserving and preparing foods.  This could especially be evident in the "old days" before refrigeration, so this may have been one from that era.

SwampDonkey

It was I believe. My grandfather had lots of venison because he was a guide outfitter. They would also can meat. When anyone needed some fresh meat, they just went and shot it. He was no farmer, but had a cow or two or a hog and maybe some chickens.

Mom used orange peel and not the candied stuff, I thought so after I typed that. Deer neck was often used, molasses, lots of apples and raisins and instead of vinegar she used apple juice. Suet was added traditionally, but she never added it in late years. Cinnamon and cloves for spice. She said her recipe was measured by the bowl. A bowl full of most everything except extra on the apples. The bigger the bowl the bigger the batch. Of course not that much for the spices.

cinnabar

Make my own mince meat with deer, when I have it.   
Use meat, suet, brown sugar, apples, oranges, currants, raisins or what ever berries are in the freezer, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and for liquid, apple and grape juice.  Let's just say the grinder gets a workout.
I can it in quart jars. Each one makes a nice BIG pie or 2 smaller ones.
Mincemeat is not always popular with the younger crowd, so I make mince bars instead.  Like a fig newton in an oatmeal crust.  Plus you aren't stuck with a whole piece of pie, just a bite.

Norm

Your version sounds a lot like the one my Grandma made cinnabar. Unfortunately I was a really fussy eater and would not even give it a taste. Can't tell you how many great dishes I love now that I'd turn my nose up back then.

SwampDonkey

Pretty much the same as here to, everyone had their own "twist" to it. ;)

Magicman

With our two youngest Grandsons, one will not try anything new, and the other will eat anything.

SwampDonkey

It's not just the younger folk. My grandfather wouldn't try anything new either. I've seen him get up from the table and go to a restaurant. :D

He wouldn't touch nothing green, like pistachio. :D Lettuce yes, but it had to be the leaf lettuce not iceberg or romaine. ;)

Magicman

I would get really bored without green beans and mustard greens.

thecfarm

I don't get bored one bit,bread,meat and cheese is my diet.  :D

SwampDonkey

He'd eat yellow waxed beans and bakes beans, but they never grew green beans. I always grew yellow and green both. But being alone here I just stick yellow waxed ones in. He'd eat cabbage, but wouldn't touch a brussel sprout or broccoli. Now fiddleheads, he'd eat a barrel full. But....only spring fresh ones. If they was frozen, you could see the nose curl a little. :D

Thank You Sponsors!