iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you leave the mill on site?

Started by leroy in kansas, January 09, 2012, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroy in kansas

Reading the threads in the form I notice reference to the mill being x amount of miles away. As well as reference to days of sawing at a location. This has started me wondering how many leave their mills on location when the job last longer than one day? What precaution do you take to hopefully assure the mill is still there when you return? If you break down the setup and return the next day, do you charge another setup fee? Thanks, Leroy

Jim_Rogers

Security is always an issue.

If there is any question, I get out my portable floor jack and raise up one wheel and take the tire off. And take it with me.

I always use a trailer hitch lock as well.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

T Welsh

Only at a trusted jobsite. if not trusted then it is blocked in by machines or logs. there are times that the mill has to stay over night or two, and I am a wreck until I see it the next morning. Tim

Magicman

I always leave the sawmill at a job site.  The sawhead is lowered all of the way down, so without some knowledge, the sawmill would be virtually impossible to move/steal.  I never leave any tools, even at secured locations.

I have never experienced any mischief or vandalism.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Same here MM. Always pack up tools too.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

pnyberg

I leave the head at the hitch end of the mill and take the key.  Never had a problem.  Of course the first time will be one too many.  :)

--Peter
No longer milling

Peter Drouin

I put A log on the mill and clamp it, I put a log on the loader arms too, have the key in my pocket. all so have a hitch lock on it. and if it;s gone in the moring I call the ins company for a new one  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

two tired

unless it is a verry secure location i take my mill home with me.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Getcha a  mean dog and chain him to the mill at night!   bat_smailey bat_smailey bat_smailey bat_smailey
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

I seldom bring my mill home when sawing, But contrary to Peter, I leave my mill just after the axle with a log on the mill and one on the loader. I don't like the idea of anyone being able to play with the hydraulics while I ain there or worst having the controls turning on and the pump running.. I just feel better with the mill past the contact bar  :D
I also live where theft and vandalisme is not as high as in certain places I have read here.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

terrifictimbersllc

I do if I am coming back the next day and the location seems secure.  Otherwise no.  My truck gets about 18 mpg on the highway with stuff in the back and about 15-17 towing.  So it doesn't mean that much.    I put a big log on it, clamped, and put the head all the way to the front, all the way down, and chain it up there with an Abus motorcycle chain.  It would take a flatbed tow truck or similar to steal it like that.   Vandalism is more of a concern but one can only do so much.  If it got trashed I would take the insurance money and get an LT-70.   :) :)  I also take the diesel and water tanks.  And put the mill head and control head covers on.  Usually leaving at dark and back at first light.   

Regarding setting up again I usually give up to 30 min free setup for a substantial day's sawing so no.  Besides setup only takes 10 min, right, like it says in the brochures?  ;)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

learydeere

I always leave it on site if it seems secure.  I also always cover it and take the blade off in case somebody gets messing with it they dont get cut and i have a lawsuit

customdave

I will leave my mill if I think its a secure site, which is out of site, but still use a coupler lock in the ball socket & a stainless steel pin lock threw the latching mechinusm . I have two aluminum tool boxes mounted on my mill that all tools , cant hooks , hookaroon, spade etc that are also lockable ;)...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

cypresskayaksllc

I leave mine. Most of the time its out in the country. Little chance of mischief. 
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Tom the Sawyer

Leroy,

Most my jobs are completed in a single day but if it takes longer, the mill goes home with me.  After 31 years in law enforcement I've seen some really secure things disappear and I like my mill.  There is very little difference in gas mileage with or without the mill.  I do charge a travel fee but discount it 50% for additional days, whether it is the next day or a year later.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: customdave on January 09, 2012, 10:08:09 PM
I have two aluminum tool boxes mounted on my mill that all tools , cant hooks , hookaroon, spade etc that are also lockable ;)...

Dave
Very interesting can we get a picture?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brucer

Yes I do, but I don't leave the hitch on site  ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

wfontjr

i live 160 miles away from a piece of property i own. i plan on leaving my mill there over the spring/summer also, any more suggestions to keep it secure

Magicman

Rats and mice cause damage gnawing on wiring and rubber hoses.  They also love to build nest and pee on everything.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I blew my frame full of red pepper last year no new problems yet.

isawlogs

Only issue I have ever had leaving my mill on site was stoopid cows and calves eating my wiring harness for the lights.   >:(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 10, 2012, 08:25:03 PM
I blew my frame full of red pepper last year no new problems yet. 

We finally got the thread around to food.

I have also had various cattle and horses rubbing, crapping, and biting on the covers, etc.  Many mornings we first have to have a cleanup detail.   :-\

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe need to spray red pepper on the outside of the mill too.   The super hot Mexican jalapeno kind where you have to be careful where you touch yourself after using it.  :o :o :o

isawlogs

I am not going to ask how you know this !!!!! :-X   :D

Marcel

Magicman

And I'm not going to ask which particular spot the touched.   smiley_lipsrsealed whiteflag_smiley

zopi

Probably my most prized posession...so, in a word, no...

I imagine, one of these days, I may get to a point where it wpuld be beneficial to have a truck camper....if I ever get to sawing any distance from the house.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

terrifictimbersllc

Wonder if anyone ever slept on his sawmill ? :D

Just put down a few boards, mattress and sleeping bag.  Big Dipper above & smell of sawing all around.   If it rains could get part way under the mill cover.  Put the side supports and loader up if afraid of falling off.

Could probably take a shower with the Lubemizer depending on your formula.   

zopi

No, but I have slept with my arm through a motorcycle wheel... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Chuck White

I have always left my mill at the mobile saw-site, and have been fortunate enough to have never been bothered.

A trail camera would be a good deterrant.  ;)

Just a sign by itself that said "This property protected with hidden cameras 24/7" or "If you are reading this sign, you are on video" would be enough to make people think about whether they should or shouldn't!  ;D

Most places that I saw for are hunting or vacationing camps and a good share of them have a locked gate and/or trail cams.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

I like the log on the deck and one on the loading arms. i"m always just a little uneasy about leaving my rig somewhere.you just never know.I usually load my remote in the pickup and park my boom truck in front of the mill ,lower the grapple down ,clamp it on the mill frame and lock the truck.I can't see charging extra for setting up when you return.Been lucky so far but i"m not going to make it ease for them.great thread    al
al glenn

steamsawyer

As you all have seen, my mill is mostly a permanent set up. It lives in the corner of a cow pasture behind barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate that is fairly secure. The land owner lives within about 250 feet next door and he is usually home at night. The mill sits about 200 feet from the road so someone could feasably jump the fence and make off with something. Tommy, the land owner, has caught people in the pasture before looking for those illegal mushrooms.

When I shut down after a days running I pick up all the tools and take the steam whistles off of the boiler and throw a tarp over the husk and blade. If I know that it will be a month or so before I will run again I'll usually take off the other brass stuff like pop off valve and injectors.

Alan

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: zopi on January 11, 2012, 04:33:13 PM

I think I did that too, back when I was a Fireman Apprentice and too drunk to know better...

paul case

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 11, 2012, 04:15:55 PM
Wonder if anyone ever slept on his sawmill ? :D

Well it was just gonna be a break and there was already those 2 nice 2x12's on the mill so the answer is yes, someone has slept on his mill. ;D ;D ;D PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

zopi

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on January 12, 2012, 11:15:51 PM
Quote from: zopi on January 11, 2012, 04:33:13 PM

I think I did that too, back when I was a Fireman Apprentice and too drunk to know better...

Was in high school...bare bones trip through the mountains in new mexico...bedroll, a couple chamges of clothes and a couple weeks pay...ride til dark, maybe stop and eat somewhere, or raid the little snack stash....find a quiet grove and crash. Was one of the better weeks.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

customsawyer

I leave mine on the job. I figure I will get burned one day but you can only do so much and if the crooks  decide they want it they will get it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Paul,

You were napping and planking at the same time  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Sounded more like he was still sawing.   smiley_sleeping

thecfarm

steamsawyer,that's a nice looking picture.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

zopi
Off subject a bit, but your ride in NM reminded me of when in college and there, found a wayside with some picnic tables under small shelters. So we laid out our fart sacks on the tables and went to sleep. Middle of the night were awakened by a four engine freight train coming through.
Seems our table beds were but a very few feet from the RR tracks.
Could have sworn we were on those tracks when that big light bore down on us.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!