iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Waiting for the flood

Started by Texas Ranger, January 09, 2012, 11:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

My office is in the 100 year flood plain, and has been flooded 2 times in the last 10 years.  Now we have heavy rains and I am watching the creek rise, and putting stuff up above the previous flood levels.

Life is good.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tcsmpsi

Yes, I have had two visits from LPD alerting me that the creek is on the rise.  Neither one brought me any of the stolen guns, or a boat as I enquired.   One did, however, tell me he might find me a boat.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SwampDonkey

Not my idea of good. Built on high ground, lots of water when needed, but no floods. That's live'n. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

Hope it helps you folks out at least a little, and the damage stays minimal, it's just too bad you can't get some nice, week long, slow, soaking rains with out the flooding.

tcsmpsi

From drought to flood.  Will be lots of erosion.  And, the homeless camps on the creek will be driven  to...???.   
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

rockman

That is an unenviable possition to be in, Texas Ranger, I hope the rain stops before the water rises to high.
Good Luck,
  Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Texas Ranger

Missed us by this || much.  Creek on the decline as we speak, only 4 inches of rain in 12 hours, usually takes 5 inches in a like period of time, or less.

Now all I have to do is clean the floors before putting the rugs back down, who knew that you could build a beach under a carpet..

Texas Ranger

DanG, may have spoke to soon, here it comes again.

Autocar

I saw on the news where you guys are getting pounded with rain. Terrible on one side of the coin but sure hope it helps out with the drought down there.
Bill

WDH

Weatherwise, you cannot win for losing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Still raining, but, strange rain.  I had 4 inches of rain in my gauge, 2 miles south had 7 inches of rain.  Two miles north, 6.5 inches of rain. 

All told, the creek did not get out of the banks, yet.  We wait and see.

Roxie

Keep us posted.  So glad you are getting rain, but no one needs a flood. 
Say when

thecfarm

I saw that on the news last night. Good luck guys.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We have it now and it looks like all day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnG28

Good luck to you TR, I hope you don't get flooded out. 
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Texas Ranger

We seem to have dodged the bullet, still raining, a little, so maybe it is over.

DanG

It has just started here, but we're only expecting an inch or two.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodwalker

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 09, 2012, 11:12:31 PM
I had 4 inches of rain in my gauge,   

Another 26" or so and we'll be to normal.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

sandhills

That's scary Woodwalker, I know, I've been there  :-\

Magicman

My pond was 4' 3" below spillway runout.  I need all of the rain that I can get.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodwalker

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2012, 10:03:40 PM
My pond was 4' 3" below spillway runout.  I need all of the rain that I can get.
The ponds here were down 5' to 6'. The one near the house gets a lot of run off and it's full for the first time in two years. The little pond across the creek was down 6' or more and I need to go check it. There is not a lot of slope to it and it doesn't catch near enough run off.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

tcsmpsi

My little pond is built on a pretty good slope, and catches runoff from far and wide.  As does the lower part of the property.  Slopes from the front of the property, and the back of the property to a old, notable draw, which usually has a small stream of water this time of year, normally.  The back end of the pond was built 'over' one of the draws that leads into the mainstream, as a control.  With all the dry, for such a period, and the rushing deluge, it sprung a leak.  Still, it was enough water to bring it over the dam (which is built for an occassional possibility of such).  The rest, washed out a lot, and brought in a lot.  I did wind up with a truck tire hung in the mainstream.   :D

Magicman

Mine in front of the cabin has a 7 acre watershed.  It has not been this low but one other time since it was built in 1995.

WDH

Hopefully Tcsmpsi and Texas Ranger are not somewhere floating in a boat  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Sorta.   :D   A different kind of 'boat'. 

But no, the water has receeded.  And, my boat (canoe), I have yet to retrieve from my ex-house  (only been 20 yrs.). Actually, I have officially bequeathed it to the oldest daughter.    :D 

Texas Ranger

tcsmpsi and I were in a different boat for awhile.  I gave up and swam to shore, tcsmpsi is still bailing.  But yes, the creek went down.

tcsmpsi

Got a call yesterday.  My day at the table is scheduled for Feb 1....so far.

Thank You Sponsors!