iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally, some more cedar to whittle on.

Started by tcsmpsi, January 09, 2012, 10:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Cedar, around these parts, is scarce (excepting for the little available that folks consider golden) and if of any size is full of voids, rot and/or black ants.

There is a fellow who brings me logs, from time to time, for cutting live edge 1" for his 'carvings'.

This is the one he brought me when he brought the cedars to whittle on.  It is from some spalted pecan I milled for him a few years ago.

One thing that becomes immediately obvious, Danny  ;D, is that these cedars ain't from around here.  They come from up north of Huntsville, somewhere.  Actually, he only brought me one cedar tree.
This is the butt log, with more resin than I have seen in a cedar.  And, much heavier.  (yes, I have changed the date on the camera, now)

And, this is what I got out of it. 

I cut for him on halves, with the live edge being his (well, most of it, anyhow) and the other being mine.

This is the second log up the tree.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG now thats some very nice carving! That Deer scene would go great in my Man Cave.  :)

NIce logs too but the carving is KILLER!

Post more pics as your work goes on. Thanks for sharing!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tcsmpsi

Here's a couple closer of the carving, David. 

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

4speed

tcsmpsi,

That carving is outstanding!

Is that tree what is referred to as Eastern Red Cedar? Living in the Navarro County area, I have numerous trees of the same species on my property that are of comparable diameter and significant height. My neighbor who is 80 years young, as well as some other old-timers in the area, refers to these trees as "junipers" while every one else simply uses the name cedar.. It doesn't matter what they are called as far as I'm concerned, I just want to make sure I am referring to the same species if I use the names interchangeably.

Magicman

Very nice tcsmpsi.  The carving, the log, and the lumber.  But, especially the carving.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

tcsmpsi, you put a lot of detail in your work! Don't see that a lot. Mighty fine!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Michael,

Those are some very nice cedar logs!  Keep that up and you will give the Cedarman a run for his money.  It is hard to find big cedar without ingrown bark and doty rot.  That is some nice thick stock that you cut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Nice carving and some good looking cedar. That would be beautiful in the hope chest I built for my niece for Christmas.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

tcsmpsi

Now, seems there might be a little confusion.  I do not do the carvings.  I just mill the logs for the fellow who does do the carvings.  Though I have not seen one of them, he tells me the ones he does of the Lord's Supper, are his most popular.  Yes, his detail shows a lot of work and experience. 

I am curious to see what he comes up with for me from the cedar.

Shucks, Danny, it would be nothing short of a full-fledged double naught miracle to have even a whiff of the cedar,  Cedarman works with.   :D   Though, certainly, I would be beholding to the opportunity of sawing cedar as a living.   ;)

Yes, those are nice 2", Danny.  I might would have done the job for just those.  The old LM1 will cut about 28", and I had to whittle quite a bit on the first and second logs. 

All in all, he should have enough cedar carving stock to hold him a good long while.

beenthere

And looks like they are jig sawings, more than carvings (from the close-up pics).

Years back knew a fellow who used three ply walnut veneer about 1/8" thickness that would jig saw out different pieces and place them in a frame with maple or birch backing. Will look for a pic of some of his work but made for nice wood wall decoration.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

I initially used the term, 'carvings'.  They were not pieced in, but, indeed, was a skillful use of bandsaw and scroll saw.

I thought of a more appropriate 'term', but, regardless of the tool(s) used, 'carvings' still seemed appropriate.

tcsmpsi

Well, the fellow (Wolfe) came picked up his cedar, today.  I could see the wheels a turning with every piece we loaded, and the smile with it.  Said he wouldn't even have to plane them.  I talked to him a bit more, as I had always been in a bit of a rush to get here or there.  He was actually born in Germany, and goes there a couple times a year.  Says that, in the piece like is shown, once he gets the scene drawn out on the wood, takes him about a day to saw it out. 
Seems that I will be consigning some of his work through the shop.   ;D

Migal

That cedar looks alot like east texas cedar. Nice carving,Beautiful Log,Most noted was the LM in a really nice wood shed too! 8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Migal, indeed, getting over around the area you're at there are some fine cedars.   

Thank you, Danny.  Inspirations from the Forestry Forum mates flow throughout the place.   ;)

I am very pleased, as I know you are, to see you under cover with space to...have your way.   ;D

ladylake

Nice log, nice lumber, nice looking mill.  Don't see too many Logmaster mills on here, hows it holding up?  Looks nice and simple, are parts off the shelf mostly.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tcsmpsi

I requires nice and simple.   :D  I've had no problems from it.  Touted to be (and corroborates what I see) off the shelf parts.  Hadn't needed any, yet.  Don't know how much longer I can get away with that, though.  I do keep everything greased and lubed, level and plumb.  Machinery...all works better when it works together.   ;D

Woodwalker

In six years I've had to replace an idler sprocket because of the inserted bearing go out, think that was $6.00 from Surplus Center, Drive belt from local parts house, double V-belt can't remember what but it was pricy $30.00??? (CRS kicked in). Had the hand pump on the blade tensioner rebuilt for $30.00. All this on a second hand mill. Most of the maintenance money has been spent on lots of grease. I hate to see a zerk fitting go lacking.
I like the Cedar too.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

tcsmpsi

Early on, I did have to replace the tensioner bolt.  It turned out to be a batch that the threads were off a bit.  Factory, no charge...with an extra, just in case (peace of mind). 

The carriage wheels were upgraded from bushings to bearings, and they supplied me a set of those.  I got an extra set of those, just in case.  I do have an extra drive belt and set of 'tires', and I keep looking and thinking, 'surely, I must have to replace these any time, now'.   I've been looking at the new head set-up for my mill.  Has some interesting changes. 

Woodwalker

Quote from: tcsmpsi on January 14, 2012, 06:08:09 AM
   I've been looking at the new head set-up for my mill.  Has some interesting changes. 
Haven't seen it. Something major?

tcsmpsi

Steel wheels, different blade tensioning set up, different guide roller width adjustment, more engine options.  Things I most remember.  They have their 'own' blades, now (has their name on them).   They are the best overall that they have used, thusfar. 

I have been considering a new/spare head.   :D

limbrat

19" steel wheels would be nice i have not had any trouble with the 18s but replacing a band, starting the saw and not having saw dust fly out from under the band wheels tires is something to look forward to. 19" steel wheels are the same size cooks uses, and a new line of blades too i wonder? they are both make a good product and there southern too. ;D the only thing i have replaced on my lm1 are a idler bearing cap and the steel water tank with a plactic one. I also hose clamped a piece of blade in front of the track wheel on the dust side with one of the teeth stradling the track so that it keeps the track scraped clean.
those are some big pretty logs and they made some great lumber. the butt cut pictures do look a little odd without that brown spot of cubic rot somewere around the heart. thank goodness that some folks like peckey cedar paneling.
ben

Woodwalker

I need to make trip up there. It's been 4-5 years since I was through there. At that time they had the head and band wheels on a custom order saw with a 7' throat. Said the the guy had a bunch of big Pecan he was going to slab.
My mill is a LM-1, but it's an early model with 30" steel wheels and the head is size of the new LM-2 or the LM-16.
tcmpsi have you compared the Log Master blades to any other brands? Who are you using for re-sharp?

tcsmpsi

Actually, Woodwalker, the only blades I have are Sterling, Monks and the "Logmaster".  The Sterlings were the best cutting and stayed sharp and set the best.  But, they were prone to breaking.  The Monks are good overall, but the set plays out sooner and they break, from time to time.  These new ones, the set stays as well as the sterlings, not quite as sharp, but have the best non-breakage so far.  I use their resharp.  Sometimes I go, sometimes I ship. 

Yes, they will build about anything plausible. 

I did not know they did a LM1 in your configuration.  That is interesting, indeed. 

To me, it is always worth the trip there.

Thank You Sponsors!