iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmiller with logging question

Started by Jeremy2200, January 08, 2012, 04:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy2200

I know it is going to be hard to give me a definite answer but any input would be nice. I have 140 acres in north Mississippi. I have been in touch with the forestry commission about clearing me a 75' wide fire lane all of the way around my place so I can access it by golf cart or truck. I have roughly 1 and 3/4 miles of fence line. The forestry commission charges $1000 a mile to do this. My question is would it be worth it to get a logger in there to see if they would be interested in cutting the timber off of the place just in the 75-100' wide swipe around the place. It is hardwoods and pines on the place. I also have a few small tracks of pines on the place that probably need to be thinned. I was told that timber prices were pretty low right now. Also Would it be possible to do this and not just destroy my property with the equipment .Any input is appreciated
thanks
Jeremy

JDeere

Jeremy2200,
     If you cut that distance at 100' wide you are talking approximately 21 acres. This is certainly large enough to have a logger look at it. It is difficult to give you a detailed answer without more specific information, but if the wood is of a good quality and size you certainly should be able to get a neat job done and make some money on it as well. It should't cost you anything to have a few guys look at it and give you some numbers. You also may want to consult with a forester to handle the sale. Good Luck!
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

mad murdock

I don't get the $1,000/mile figure ??? You mean the commission wants a fee at that rate? I agree with jdeere, at least run it by a forester, he will have the answers you need.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Side loader

The $1,000/mile is what the state forestry commission gets to plow a fire lane here in Mississippi.    The problem here is that most loggers are big "production loggers".  The little guy is fast becoming a thing of the past. 98% of the wood harvested is tree lenghth. But as has been mentioned if you got the volume it should attract a buyer especially if it's winter logging ( good ground).  Also you would need to have the stumps cut low unless you plan on destumpimg after harvest.  A good road system/fire lane is something I believe you will find very beneficial for many reasons. Hope it works out.
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

Taylortractornut

I have a friend that just had me do this to his place.   He wanted the stumps out  of the ground  for his road.    We marked it out and   He rented me an excavator.   He hired a smaller logger to come in and they worked out a money arrangement.     I would dig the stumps and  push over the trees       THen Pick them up and have the logger  cut off the stumps.        I would stack off to the side in bunch for the skidders.   THen rake the holes full and  go to another  wad of trees.    We didnt bring in a dozer we just used my friends big tractor and blade to make the road and then  grassed the  roads.
My overload permit starts after sunset

WDH

Why so wide?  I think that 75 feet is an overly gracious fire line.  I would think about reducing that by half or even more.  Even a two lane paved road is hardly 75 feet wide. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeremy2200

Thanks Guys for the replies. Yes the forestry commission charges this fee just to put a fire lane in on  your property. I  want to know more from side loader about getting the stumps cut low to the ground. I was in a deercamp once and the owner cut some timber off of it and it was a waseland after they got through. I want this where I can disk it and plant it for more foodplots for deer.That is the reason for it to be so wide. I want it to be an access road and also a food plot. Is there a such thing as a logger cutting timber and there not being any stumps left???

barbender

Quote from: Jeremy2200 on January 08, 2012, 11:27:26 PM
Is there a such thing as a logger cutting timber and there not being any stumps left???

No.  ;D Seriously, loggers only take trees. You'll need someone to either come in and grub all the stumps out with an excavator or have them ground with forestry mulcher/grinder. Big money for both of those options for your project size.
Too many irons in the fire

zopi

lol soon as I read this....75 feet? Then I thought...hmm...food plots...shooting lanes...yep.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

mad murdock

Nothing wrong with more road hunting opportunities, IMO. I would go wih a plan similar to talortractornut i.e. tip the trees over roots attached, then separate wood from trash. Much easier to get roots out attached to the tree,(less machine time).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

A good job can be done on your land. No reason to have a wasteland. BUT you do need to look at whoever is doing the work for you. Look at past jobs they have done,I would even talk to the land owners too. There are some out there that can make a real bad mess and others that make it look real nice. I have no idea,but might be whatever you make on the wood will go into the fire lanes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

I do what Taylortractornut does with my excavator. If you cut the trees first it will take twice the hours to dig them out. Grinding that many stumps will take even longer.

Taylortractornut

I ve done this on 250 acres this way with excavators and trackloaders.      We had several grade logs we saved that the stumps had to be gone before we did a treatment plant job.      We gave to timeber away as it had to be ground or burnt.          The logger didnt mind a little damage and it saved alot of stumping.
My overload permit starts after sunset

sjfarkas

I've removed stumps in many different ways and I think it all depends on the tree size.  MY opinion is to have the place logged.  Then rent a big excavator, 300 class or bigger and dig out the stumps.  Use a narrow bucket too.  2 foot would be nice.  That's my opinion, but the person doing the work should have the most input.

Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Ianab

Around here most of the logging contractors run a large excavator as part of their normal operations. They are such multi use tools. Make tracks, sort logs, push over hazard trees, load the trucks at the landing etc

So they certainly could do the logging and land clearing, at least to the stage of pushing the stumps and rubbish into burn piles, and some basic ground levelling (filling stump holes and ruts etc.)

The question then becomes if the logs are worth enough to cover the cost of the full land clearing?

Either way doing the whole job with a big excavator is the way to go.

A forester can advise you on the value of the logs, and a contractor can estimate the digger and other equipment hours, and you can see how the numbers match up. If you have $5,000 of logs, and $15,000 of work needs doing... Not so good.

It's not a standard logging job though, so you might have to search for the right people to do it. And might end up with an excavator operator and a logger working on it together?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I'm not complaining about my land,but find it interesting that can be done on your land. I could do it on mine,but would have to do all of the keeping it clear by hand,because of the rocks. probably have some as big as a small house up there. Only show a little above the ground to tease you than they grow.   ;D Even trying to bury a small stumps will produce rocks to dispose off. I'm in the process of clearing a grown up pasture. I just keep working it by hand,be it a push mower or a trimmer and let the stumps rot. But than the guy up above me has sand at his place,not many rocks. We use to own that years ago.
Does sound like a good idea. Let us know how it works out for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

If the $1000 / mile pushes out the trees(leaving no stumps) that would be a bargain. Around here anyway. The road districts will clean right of way fencerows for free here, but they only clean 1/8 of a mile per day with 1 man and 1 machine. That would cost 10 hours and most big trackhoes and trackloaders here are getting $100/hour.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SamB

The goal being to come away with a tillable grassy strip of land 1 ¾  mile long and 75 feet long for less than $2K doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. Not knowing what you're starting out with or what the forest service promises the end result to be. :)

grassfed

On thing you might try is dropping by your local NRCS office and asking about the Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP) this may provide a grant for some/all of the costs!
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!