iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame enclosure decisions

Started by danreed76, January 08, 2012, 10:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

It is beginning to appear as though we may actually get to the point of being able to cut and raise a frame within my lifetime.  Before we get to "crunch time", though, I am trying to close some gaps in the plans so that we can establish a realistic budget and plan materials appropriately.

Originally, I had planned on using kind of a "wrap and strap" enclosure using stud-framed curtain walls on the exterior and closing it in with P-2000 or a similar product.  I am looking for references/recommendations on enclosure methods.  Are SIPs the better way to go?  Are there better products out there?  what should we avoid?

As always, any input is appreciated. 
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

ballen

Danreed76

I'm just responding o let you know your post was successful!
I too am considering the same issues.  Sips seem so nice but I really dislike all the petrolium in them.
I'm leaning toward a frame with cellulose or maybe even straw bales.  Besides tightness and insulation, I am also looking to use something local (NE PA).  I too would love to hear other response/comments.

Bill

Thehardway

I used SIP's for the roof of my House and ICF's for the walls.  It is "super insulated".  Having done this I would probably not go the SIP route again.  I would only use them if I had unlimited access to lifting equipment and had a very precise frame.  I do not have a problem with the petroleum content.  EPS is probably the most energy efficient use of petroleum on the planet if you look at the amount of petroleum used vs. the potential in energy it can save in use over its lifespan.

I would say what to use as an enclosure depends upon what goals you are trying to achieve.

For cost and simplicity it would be hard to beat board and batten.  It is also traditional.  It is not very energy efficient unless you use foam flashing

For energy efficiency I would consider ICF's, AAC block, SIP and strawbale but knowing that the first thre represent a significant money investment and the last takes up a lot of your valuable square footage so you have to build larger than you need.  This means longer spans, and in many cases larger timbers which can in many cases drive up costs.

For true authenticity wattle and daub can be used.  It has a unique set of advantages (cheap) and disadvantages time consuming and is a mixed bag on the energy part depending on the climate you are in and the skill of the one doing it.

If I did it over I would probably do conventional 2x4 infil, flash foam it with 1.5" of spray applied polyurethane foam,pack the rest with dense pack cellulose and apply board and batten siding or perhaps a live edge lap siding.  Lot of variable here though like methods of heating and cooling, solar exposure, etc.

Tell us how you plan on heating and cooling, and will you have a basement and perhaps that will help narrow it down.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

witterbound

I basically used a kind of strap and wrap on my roof, with two 3" thick panels of insulation, and then I used 2x6s for exterior walls and had foam insulation sprayed into the walls.  I am very satisfied with the results.  In addition, this method let us change window and door locations after the frame was up, which is far more difficult with SIPs.  I live in a moderate climate.  My 2400 sf house is all electric (the bottom floor is built into a small hillside and uses insulated concrete blocks on 2 sides), and my bills average about $120 a month.   I just couldn't get over the expense and need to hire a crew and a lot of equipment for the SIPs. 

logman

I like sips.  For a timber frame it makes the most sense in my opinion.  I debated on using them on the frame my wife and I just moved into, but I did the calculations on wrap and strap and it really wasn't that much cheaper and would have been more time consuming.  I cut my own blank sips so I could put windows any place I wanted and I cut the window holes after putting the sips up.  My wife and I put the sips on our house with a hand crank Genie lift.  I get my sips from General Panel out of Tn.  They have the best prices that I have found so far. 
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

frwinks

I wrapped and strapped, both the walls and roof.  In my neck of the woods, and given the circumstances the price difference between sips and stick/foam was huge... close to 1/3. 
For a first time builder, it was easy to work with and only required two people to do most of it. 

jdtuttle

I used sips on roof & walls & will again if I build another timber frame. Closes in quick & easy to finish not to mention warm.
jim
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!