iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer order

Started by 1crowfarm, January 07, 2012, 09:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1crowfarm

I got a call last night with a potential customer wanting to buy about 30 1x12x16' Poplar boards. I told him that I didnt have anything air dried like that and he told me he would be interested in buying them green if I would cut them. He plans on using them right away for a floor in his barn.
My question is if I cut him 1x12" boards with heart wood in them how badly would they cup being that wide ? Would I be better off to encouage him to buy smaller width boards  ?
Thanks guys Iam just getting started in this custom sawing business and I dont want unhappy customers right off the bat  so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated

red oaks lumber

i don't see a problem, he is going to install them right away so there is less chance of cupping nailed down than sitting in a pile air drying. maybe run your concern past him and see what he thinks another option cut 1x6 .the added time for install will be small
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Cedarman

After drying, there will be 1" gaps between the 11" boards.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Cedarman on January 07, 2012, 10:27:49 AM
After drying, there will be 1" gaps between the 11" boards.

Mine are about 1/2" using 10" boards.  Make sure you tell him about the gaps.

Bruce

beenthere

And I think as a new business, I'd be some concerned about what to do with all the remaining volume in boards after sawing the 1 x 12's. Stock pile them on drying sticks and keep the extra inventory?
One would think the customer could make good use of those extra 1' pieces and selling them would be worth any effort/success.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

crowfarm,I just cut an order of 12 in popular for a customer.I stacked and stickered it under a shelter for about 2 months.When he picked it up it was light as a feather.Bear in mind i,m in south georgia and we have had a very mild and dry winter here .Some cupping on the top layer but the rest came out fine.Some times after drying I will throw them back on the mill and run the edges .With a narrow board  you don,t have to bother with it,just takes more time to install.good luck  al
al glenn

redbeard

I have lost a few sales by giving to much advice especially when they haven't even asked for any. I try not to get involved too much in what they are using lumber for. If they call and have list I will either have it or can cut there order. Just saying.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

paul case

Those 1x12's will leave you with quite a pile of side lumber. If i was selling them and the customer didn't want the extra side lumber the 1x12's would be a little more expensive. like 1/2 the cost of the side lumber more expensive if I didn't have it sold to someone else. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

As Red said above,  I also try not to get too involved with what the customer will do with his lumber, because giving advise can be a double edged sword.  If you see the obvious and know better, then speaking up may be appropriate, but I try to keep my mouth shut about lumber usage.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

1crowfarm

Thanks guys for the advice. I dont plan on getting to involved with to much advice to the customers next thing you know I would be there pounding nails  :-\  I will call the customer tomorrow and advise him about the shrinkage and also try to sell him the side boards but if he doesnt want them it wont hurt me much as I still need to finish the building over the mill

Cedarman

I like to know how the lumber will be used.  Sometimes I suggest western red cedar will work much better than Eastern, especially where big beams and long lengths are concerned.  I will suggest gluing 2  6" rather than using 1 12", but final say is with the customer.  Sometimes I lose sales, but the customer should be happier and that is my goal to make the customer happy that they are getting what they need.   I never tell them how to glue or what is the best finish.  My job is to provide the best widths, thickness, lengths, dryness, planing if needed, sanding if needed, quality required at the most economical price, shipping prices that best fit the order, and anything else that will help the customer get the biggest bang for the buck, but still give me the profit I want.  Final say is the customers say though.

1crowfarm

Hello I'am going to attemp to take a few pictures today or tomorrow when I fire up the Iron mule to go to the woods to haul in a load of logs for that order of 1x12x16' boards  ;D wish me luck

Magicman

Take a picture of da mule also.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I have gone the other way in giving advice. I figure, better to lose a customer than not make sure they understand the pitfalls of green lumber, and for that point, kiln dried. I figure my reputation is everything. I figure if I don't make a sale, that is better than having a pithed off customer telling everyone how we treated him. And I have lost a few sales, although I think I picked up more over the years than I lost But then I kind of take the long term view. There isn't that much advice to really give anyway. Warnings about powder post beetle in ash. How much green lumber can be expected to shrink. Let kiln dried lumber sit for a bit in the climate it will be in and acclimate itself. How to use a big piece of green lumber for a mantle, and the potential pitfalls. That is about it. I can give advice if they drag in a junk log to have cut up, but they never listen. Actually, when you warn someone about what might go wrong with green lumber, etc.. that seems to make them more determined to use it. Only thing I never give advice on is stains, sealers, finishes, etc.

1crowfarm

Quote from: Magicman on January 09, 2012, 09:16:05 AM
Take a picture of da mule also.   ;D

I will have to ask my wife pretty please  ;D but Iam sure she will show me how to download the pictures

petefrom bearswamp

I agree with Kansas.
I only saw on my site so only have a few customers but they have been thoroughly schooled on the various problems that can occur.
A select few keep coming back every year.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Full Circle

If used immediately, and nailed down tight, isn't the risk of the boards splitting as it shrinks a lot higher, too?  I don't have experience with poplar, but I know we considered this when installing pine siding (board and batten) that was pretty green.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

SPIKER

Quote from: Full Circle on January 09, 2012, 08:11:30 PM
If used immediately, and nailed down tight, isn't the risk of the boards splitting as it shrinks a lot higher, too?  I don't have experience with poplar, but I know we considered this when installing pine siding (board and batten) that was pretty green.

Usually when nailing down green you dont nail the edges you nail the center of the board and let the edges float until after the board has dried otherwise yet they will split and bad..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

5quarter

spiker got it right. I would add to gap your boards and screw your battens down while putting the screw between the boards. cupping will be nearly nil. Those should be all the fasteners you need. Quarter saw your battens if you want avoid cupping with them.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Cedarman

The boards are for a floor, so battens wouldn't be used.   Looks like he will have a leaky floor.  For hay , that wouldn't be all that bad.  I sure wouldn't want to walk across it in high heels. :D :D

Jemclimber

If you're wearing high heels, I think you've logged onto the wrong forum...  :D
lt15

petefrom bearswamp

Cedar MAN?
really?
High heels?
Holy cow.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

terrifictimbersllc

You could just put down some strips of plywood to walk on.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

1crowfarm

Hello guys iam trying to download a couple of pictures lets see if I can get this done . This is a picture of our dozer and what we lovinly refer to as the Orange pumpkin Our Volvo truck in the background. I couldnt get the Iron mule to start starter trouble so I will post a picture of it later. I will try to load a couple of pictures of our mill set up.

Magicman

How can I not be envious of that baby  ???

Thank You Sponsors!