iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ok What Gives

Started by motohed, January 06, 2012, 08:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motohed

I have been cutting wood for 35 plus years with out problem , but its been cold this week and I can't keep the chain sharp to save my life . The wood seems to have ice in it . Ive tried different angle on the chain sharpening etc . This is the first time that I have had this repeatedly happen , so is there a different chain to use , maybe semi chisel etc . Any help would be appreciated .

shelbycharger400

i know what your feeling. i hang it up late october, as i cut maily for firewood.
2 saws i use are low profile, and one is full chisel.  the odd part is the full chisel is on the deere 50v (small saw)
best i have ever had was having the chain almost a ripping chain setup, it was jerky a bit, it liked to grab more or less, and i had ground down the rakers a bit too.  cold weather i used atf for lube, works well with cedar and pine, no pitch buildup at all,  you will smell the burnning tho of the cedar.  Anyway, the deere has a 16 inch bar on it .  and cut the best , vrs the low pro on the 20 inch bar on the craftsman

Al_Smith

:D Sounds to me like you have frozen wood .

I never ran into it before except back a couple year ago on fall cut red oak .It was Jan. and cold as well diggers butt .I thought I'd  cut down out of a pile left by one of the trimmers .I threw everything I had at it including a Mac 125.

Nothing ,went back in the house .If it can't be cut with 123 cc's and a chisel chain ,it can't be cut .

lumberjack48

Here in MN our peak logging is winter, after everything is froze.

I have fell and bucked wood at -40 many, many days, i like -10 to -30, had to file a little more to keep a real sharp edge on, depended on the chain.

if i ran Oregon i have to stop and throw an edge back on, thats why i carried a file in my pocket, take a couple minutes. The chain still cut good, it would just lose its edge [ full chisel ]
Stihl chain held a edge, but i trouble with it breaking in real cold temp.
The best chain i found was Carlton, held a edge better then Oregon, and no breakage problem. I ran nothing but full chisel, this was 18 yrs ago, chain changes .
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Shellbark

Amen on the Carlton chain.I had a pile of green logs I bought from a pulpwooder a few years ago to cut into firewood.The highs had been about 20 degrees for about a week.Mostly red oak and ash and some maple.Ash by nature is a drier wood,so cutting it was no problem.But the frozen oak and maple was like cuttin into a cinder block.I bought 2 Carlton chains and filed down the drags a bit lower than normal.The cutters on a Stihl chain just sorta curled back.To be fair,I never tried an Oregon chain that time.But the Carlton did a good job,but I did have to dress the chain a bit more than normal.Anyhow,its been a really mild winter here in WV this year.The grounds only been froze twice,so cuttin has been no problem this year.

Thank You Sponsors!