iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberframed staircase (pic heavy)

Started by frwinks, January 05, 2012, 11:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frwinks

After a summer filled with monotonous work on the siding and finally getting the glazing done it was time to move my efforts inside for the winter... 
We needed stairs from the basement to first floor and I would not have them any other way than TF.  Afterall a man needs to keep his tools and skills sharp or why have them in the first place 8)  So I designed a set of winders, which gave me the opportunity to use some reclaimed DougFir I've had sitting around for a number of years.  I'm also incorporating some DougFir 4x12 we saved from our old house when we tore it down. 
I got a little carried away with Sketchup again...this being my first stair building experience and all..  ;D 

For the centre post, I picked this 7x11 factory reclaimed chunk of DougFir and tried hewing it, but quickly decided against it.  Hewing bone dry, 200+year old fir was not my idea of fun and decided to plane it instead ;D

First stringer cut and a shot of the super tight, old growth grain of this beautiful material..

Both stingers and stair components...

Test fitting the crazy winders, and one of 4 glued up 2" plank platforms

Test fitting the bottom components.

With all the gorgeous fir on the floor, Christmas and Tammy wanting a coat rack, I grabbed a pc and wipped up a rack... I might be short a pc for a railing or a newel post, but the expression on her face when she saw a 6' long gift under a tree was priceless... ;D

and some of that sweet grain again

For the treads I'll be using some live edge 2" planks we saved from milling the timbers for the house.

jueston

that picture from the inside of the center post confused me for a minute before i realized what i was looking at. but it looks like its going to be an amazing set of stairs....

Thehardway

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

canopy

Good project and something I am considering. What is the reason for twin tenons on the stringer versus a single tenon? The other stringer is not drawn so wondering if you are sandwiching the steps between two stringers is all that will secure them? If so looks difficult to put together.

zelpatsmot

Your work space looks a lot like mine.
Radio
Laptop
Wood and tools
But the beautiful girls are usually in 2D format posted to the walls, I've never thought about a cardboard-cut out, nice idea.

I've built a few conventional staircases over the past few years.  They look frail, its the only way I can put it. Someday my staircase will be a showpiece like yours will.

Please post again with your progress

Magicman

That staircase is shaping up nicely.  I also like the coatrack.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

frwinks

thanks gents.. And the girl is standing there wondering what da heck is going on in her living room :D
The twin tenons...I've seen them on some massive Dutch barns, figured I'd give them a go...safety first, right ;D
The other side of the staircase will be supported by a simple 2x stringer hidden under the steps.  The idea is to have it look like it's cantilevered off the post and heavy stringers. 

frwinks

I got the last step installed the other night.  They're as solid as I thought they would be ;D The spruce I used for the treads, which sat outside for close to two years, once planed, turned out some beautiful patina.  We were originally going to stain them with a dark stain, but now thinking of just clear coating them with a few coats of poly instead as there's so much natural color there 8)

In Sketchup I trust ;D

Satamax

Lovely looking.

Thought i gonna be a pain.

You could have taken wood without blue, and you should have balanced a few steps :D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

frwinks

Nature's own...love the blue ;)  We have it everywhere, these just tie it all together ;D

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

jueston

LOGDOG

Anyone who has had to lay out a stair case can appreciate what you've accomplished here. You should grin every time you walk past that staircase.

Thehardway

Winks,

I like the "blue denim" look as well.  Used it in my sons room.  It has a lot more character IMHO than just regular pine.  I have found that I like a balance between the rustic and formal.  A certain amount of rustic or industrial influence speaks largely for strength and endurance.  Too formal and oranate and it makes you wonder if it will stay together long enough for you to use it.
You have done a great job showing strength with just enough detail to make it look finished but not formal or ornate.   I love that dense grain as well 
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

frwinks

thanks gents ;)  Every pc of our frame has a story behind it and is celebrated equally  ;D Logdog, Funny you should mention grinning everytime I walk up and down...
The pieces of spruce I used for the treads came from massive logs that were too large for my mentor's mill.  As progress had to be made, I rough hewed these massive logs on the hottest weekend of 2009  +40degC pushing high 90% humidity...the whole works. We got them done and milled in the end, but now everytime I walk up and down I'm reminded of that weekend and it does make me smile from ear to ear ;D
I happen to have a couple of pics from that great weekend.

The stack of my "victims" in the background....

I also had the pleasure of meeting my mentor's teacher that weekend... the TF energy in the air, was probably what kept me alive   :D

Thank You Sponsors!