iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaska pictures

Started by Onthesauk, January 03, 2012, 11:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

My Sister just emailed this link, best photos of the year from the Anchorage Daily News.  Some great pictures!

http://www.adn.com/2011/12/29/2237905/best-of-2011-reader-submitted.html#id=1726013&view=large_view
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Magicman

I enjoyed that.  Made me want to drag my Alaska album out. ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Some great photos, thanks for sharing.

Patty

WOW!  Those pictures are amazing!!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Warbird

My home.  Thanks for posting that link - I'd missed it.  I've been to many of those places.  Those pics make me want to pack up the wife & kid and go back country camping out past Tangle Lakes.

ps.  Norm, I entered into a few draws for hunting in 2012.  Did you followup on that and get entered for anything?

Norm

No I sure didn't James, with my taking on more farming I'm your typical broke farmer.  :D

Warbird

Well DanG.  We will get you up here to hunt sometime.

Chris Burchfield

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.  The bear looking over his right shoulder at the camera look like he is being interrupted.   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

wood monger

Truly awesome photos, thanks. Alaska is on my bucket list.

Warbird

Just don't visit in the winter.  Day 12 of the most recent cold snap and it just warmed up to -23 F.  Supposed to cool off again over the next few days.

Makes a guy wonder if you could get pictures like that in a less harsh environment?

sandhills

Quote from: Warbird on January 04, 2012, 08:36:09 PM
Just don't visit in the winter.  Day 12 of the most recent cold snap and it just warmed up to -23 F.  Supposed to cool off again over the next few days.

Makes a guy wonder if you could get pictures like that in a less harsh environment?

Ah come on, I hear it's a "dry" cold up there anyway  :D :D :D.  My dad was stationed up there in the winter of, well it would have been around the mid to late 60's, sounded about like the one you've been having, but he keeps track of it now and almost always if you're getting froze to death up there we have a mild winter down here, suppose to set a record high tomorrow at 68*.

ibseeker

Those are some great photos...thanks. It seems like those moose aren't too concerned with people but how dangerous are they during rut when they are in town?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Warbird

I'm uncertain what the average is but we usually have at least a couple of stupid people get trampled/killed each year.  The males are more aggressive during the rut but they won't attack people unless they are in the way.  The injuries I know of involve females separated from their calves by someone walking where they shouldn't have.

gspren

If all goes as planned the wife and I plan on towing our 5th wheel camper to Alaska in June & July.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Warbird

What parts of the state are you planning on visiting?

ibseeker

I thought they were dangerous but after visiting Maine the people we asked about the moose gave me the impression that it's no big deal to have them walking about town. In Estes Park Colorado the elk come down out the park and spend the winter in town, there are hundreds of elk around which was pretty cool for my wife and I having never been close to one. Alaska is really an amazing place.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

snowstorm

Quote from: ibseeker on January 06, 2012, 07:20:43 PM
I thought they were dangerous but after visiting Maine the people we asked about the moose gave me the impression that it's no big deal to have them walking about town. In Estes Park Colorado the elk come down out the park and spend the winter in town, there are hundreds of elk around which was pretty cool for my wife and I having never been close to one. Alaska is really an amazing place.
the moose in maine arent tame. once an a while they will wander into a town but they often times arent well. they get brain worm makes them do strange things

Chuck White

Great pictures!

I've saw a few of those spots myself, when I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage.

I still say "pictures don't do justice to seeing it in person"!

Thanks for posting.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!