iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quater sawn

Started by dennis b, January 03, 2012, 06:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennis b

i build outdoor structurres. we use Larch wood. we get complates from customers that the lumber we use is checking mostly 6x6 and 5x5. would it help prevent checking if we  had lumber quater saw

dgdrls

I'm not experienced enough to answer but I will ask, do you treat the ends of your cut beams with Anchorseal or similar product.
Also how dry are your logs when you cut?

I'm interested in seeing what the experienced sawyers have to say.

DGDrls

beenthere

All wood will check when it dries. Just one of the facts of "wood" life.
You may help reduce end checking with the anchorseal as suggested.

Do you have pics that you would post that shows the checking that you are asking about?

Also, where is your location?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dennis b

i live in ny. we do coat ends. we do tell customers that checking will happen.when they see the checks they think the structure will fall apart

tyb525

on a square post, there is really no way to quartersaw it. two faces will always be flatsawn.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ladylake

tyb525 is right, no way to qs a square. It could all end up rift sawn. Keep it out of the sun and try to dry slow.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WDH

Thick timbers check.  That is a fact of wood life unless you have perfectly controlled drying.  The only way to prevent checking in a 6x6 beam without drying in perfectly controlled conditions in a kiln would be to cut six 1" boards, dry them, then glue up the beam.  The issue is with the thickness of the stock and the natural stresses that occur when the outside of the beam dries faster than the inside, which it always will.  This difference in drying rate has to be tightly controlled in kiln.  It cannot be done naturally from what I have seen. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Or to PEG stabilize it...nobody id going to write that check.  lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

redbeard

. we get complates from customers that the lumber we use is checking mostly 6x6 and 5x5.
The checking is it just the ends or is the pith or center close to the edge of posts and beams that is checking? FHOC Is a good way to mill parts especially visual applications.. you will need large diameter logs to achieve this if your logs are small you can box the heart. It will prevent most of the checking. My experience is with douglas fir and I eliminate the center on all of my premium beams and posts. Yes I do cut 4x4 and 6x6 out oof small logs with the center boxed and they usually will check at some point. But the FHOC generally never check.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

dennis b

thanks for your help guys. this forum is great!!!!  readbeard. FHOC?

WDH

Some species do better than others like redbeard has seen with doug fir.  I have been successful with thicker beams with walnut (like mantle stock) and I have been woefully unsuccessful with any of the oaks.  Checking and splitting (not just end checking) is common in southern pine.  How many treated southern pine post have you ever seen that did not have some splits in them?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

It is easier to educate your customer than it will be to keep large wood squares from checking.  Put on your salesman hat and have a very good explanation of what is happening to the wood as it dries. You must make them comfortable that they have a very good product.  Point out all the positives of the wood.  Natural versus plastic etc.  Figure out how to make the customer happy and satisified. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very good thought, CEDARMAN!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I have over-sized mantels etc. for customers.  After a year of drying, we will lay it back on the sawmill and make the final cuts to get the twist out.  The checks are natural and part of the character.  I do not charge extra for them.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quote from: dennis b on January 04, 2012, 06:48:37 AM
thanks for your help guys. this forum is great!!!!  readbeard. FHOC?

Thinking redbeard meant FOHC for "free of heart center".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hbilly

I'm glad I read this, I have some of the same Ideas using oaks. Thanks for the input. Good sales pitch, any wood in an uncontrolled environment is subject to splitting, its your choice weather you want a nice big piece of oak or a big green piece of  pressure treated pine. Sometimes painting, staining can help if the wood is cured, butt I would never suggest that. Just more for someone to fuss about if it does split.

j rock

Magicman hit it right on the head.  I have sold mantles cracked & staine, some times thats just what people are looking for.
whats fun? making saw dust!!

dennis b

thanks for the help guys. those checks in the beams bother my boss more than me. i keep telling him its the nature of the wood. i lived in a log home and it checked like mad. but the walls were 8 inches thick.if it did not check like wood  it would just be ugly plastic siding.

beenthere

Quote from: dennis b on January 04, 2012, 06:17:28 PM
thanks for the help guys. those checks in the beams bother my boss more than me. i keep telling him its the nature of the wood. i lived in a log home and it checked like mad. but the walls were 8 inches thick.if it did not check like wood  it would just be ugly plastic siding.

In the OP you said you were getting complaints from customers.
Now the "boss" has entered the picture and 'bothered'.
Pls explain how the boss is selling a product that he/she doesn't understand that it will check. ??   ::)
south central Wisconsin

jueston

Quote from: beenthere on January 04, 2012, 07:18:54 PM
Pls explain how the boss is selling a product that he/she doesn't understand that it will check. ??   ::)

i'm a carpenter and my boss seems to think every wood product we install should behave perfectly.... and when it doesn't, its ussually my fault....

Magicman

You being a carpenter your boss should also be a carpenter and should know better, but he is still your boss.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lud

Bosses that blame others first?  Not that rare....

I made a big mantle for some folks.  It checked/ cracked while drying in the barn so I routed a row of butterflys to stabilize .  I thought they looked good enough to put on top but we  installed with flys down and no other cracking.

Yeah, yeah,.......... most would be embarassed to be found with their flys down! :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

dennis b

redbeard. what do you mean by box the heart

customsawyer

What he is saying is put the pith in the center of your timber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Full Circle

I had to put on my sales hat with the boss (my wife) for the same thing.  She wasn't complaining, but she did ask about the checks in the 5" X 5" locust posts (boxed heart) I used in our pool shed.  I gave her all the good reasons not to worry that others have already said.  And it worked........
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Thank You Sponsors!