iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 40 adjustment

Started by carykong, January 02, 2012, 11:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carykong

I have a friend who just bought a used LT40 hydraulic with 24hp Onan,I think.  His cants are not coming out square,boards look good, and  we have determined that the blade is not parallel to cutting bed.  Blade at the outboard roller (furthest from the motor) is about 1/16 inch lower than the measurement at the inboard roller.  OK, here is the question,we know how to adjust the rollers but how much slop is allowable with the entire cutting head in relation to the cutting bed? For example, we can lift the outboard portion of the cutting head with our hands that generates nearly a 1/2 inch difference in the blade to cutting bed distance. Any opinion? Thanks

jcbrotz

Sound like its adjusted correctly. In the setup you are susposed to set it to 1/16 of an in high on the outboard side, to allow for  head drop when the blade hits the wood. Although I would get my hands on a manual if he doesn't have on and register the mill with woodmizer. He will need the manual at some point to adjust his new rig.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Chuck White

Quote from: carykong on January 02, 2012, 11:49:22 PM
I have a friend who just bought a used LT40 hydraulic with 24hp Onan,I think.  His cants are not coming out square,boards look good, and  we have determined that the blade is not parallel to cutting bed.  Blade at the outboard roller (furthest from the motor) is about 1/16 inch lower than the measurement at the inboard roller.  OK, here is the question,we know how to adjust the rollers but how much slop is allowable with the entire cutting head in relation to the cutting bed? For example, we can lift the outboard portion of the cutting head with our hands that generates nearly a 1/2 inch difference in the blade to cutting bed distance. Any opinion? Thanks

With the outer blade roller guide moved outward to within an inch or so from "max" adjust the blade height (near the outer roller) from the bed so that it's 1/16" higher than the distance of the blade near the inboard blade roller is to the bed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dan_Shade

has he checked the backstops for square?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Buck

Also be paying attn when you clamp the cant.Both my mills will clamp tight and wont be true. I have to bump the control back just a little. When clamping tight against the stops(which are square and true) The clamp lifts the cant just a "smidge" on the clamp side.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

The roller furthest out should be the highest, not the lowest.  Bring it up about 1/8th" which will make it about 1/16" high.  You may have to tweak it a bit after making a test cut.

My WM manual says to make this 1/16" adjustment with the "lower track roller horizontal bolts" but I always do it with by raising or lowering the blade guide.

You do need to verify that your side supports are square.

Do not be concerned about being able to lift the end of the cutting head.  It's weight plus centrifugal force will keep the head down while sawing. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

carykong

Thanks for the advice from everybody.  FYI,the stops are square with the bed.  We will concentrate on adjusting the outboard rollers per Magiciman and get the the blade height a tad higher than the inboard measurement and then evaluate from there.

Magicman

To check your accuracy, make a cut.  Flip the cant 180°, and make a cut.  Any deviation will be obvious with this next cut.  Now, do your fine tuning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Buck, there are set screws on the clamp to adjust it to resolve the issue you are having with it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CalebL

Quote from: isawlogs on January 03, 2012, 02:39:26 PM
Buck, there are set screws on the clamp to adjust it to resolve the issue you are having with it.

Can you explain this a bit more?  I have the same problem as Buck. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

jcbrotz

I was on my second coffee and I still missed the lower part :D. FYI on the adjusting the outer roller be sure you keep down pressure on the blade, if you don't have the down pressure you don't cut very well(don't ask me how I know) Trying to remember but I think its a 1/4 inch once you get close to 0 you have some issues, Might want to check the lower bearings also they may be the culpert if not touching the rail.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

MartyParsons

Hello,
All of the posts I agree with, but. I hope if you are doing an alignment to the mill you follow the instructions in the manual. Step by step. If you just check one of the adjustment areas and change the adjustment, then you may not be helping the problem just making it more of a challange.
The single plane clamp can be a challange to get it to push the cant square. I have seen lots of wear and some adjustments are possible. I think the last single plane clamp was manufactured in 1995.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Buck

lol Marty. Mine are 1988 and 1995
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Chuck White

Quote from: MartyParsons on January 04, 2012, 06:10:29 PM
Hello,
All of the posts I agree with, but. I hope if you are doing an alignment to the mill you follow the instructions in the manual. Step by step. If you just check one of the adjustment areas and change the adjustment, then you may not be helping the problem just making it more of a challange.
The single plane clamp can be a challange to get it to push the cant square. I have seen lots of wear and some adjustments are possible. I think the last single plane clamp was manufactured in 1995.
Hope this helps.
Marty

I agree with Marty 100%, do the alignment by the book.

Step-by-Step
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

isawlogs

I am going by memory here, there are some plastic/nylon shimes/plates that are under the clamp and under the tubing that slide with the clamp as you open and close . Check that these are not worn.  Put the clamp in the upper position, the set screws should be visible, if not , clean off the saw dust  ;D There is not a whole lot of adjustment but if the pads are good you should have all you need to tighten it up.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!