iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quitting!

Started by JohnG28, January 02, 2012, 08:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Hello melevin, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about an intro and a bit more about yourself.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

martyinmi

Hey John,
   Is everything still going well? We are all still keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

JohnG28

Hi everyone, I'm sorry that I haven't checked in here in a while. I have been doing well, still keeping at it.  I have been busy as all....well ya know.  I can't say things have been easy, actually have been harder lately. Work has been killing me and seeing others smoke all the time has made it tough. Thank you all for your words and continuing support.  Sorry again that I haven't checked in, but I will continue to as I think I need the help still. Thank you all.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

zopi

hang in there! two and ahalf months or so for me...had a pretty bad craving this morning, but that was the first in a week!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DoubleD

Don't worry John hang in there  8) you too zopi  ;)
Wannabe a sawmiller

thecfarm

That's just a myth that a cigarette will fix what ever you think is bothering you at that moment. It won't. Than when you are smoking again,throwing money out the window and realizing I really can't afford to smoke,than you have to to all over again. Is that really worth it to go through all that you went through to quit? Not to me it wasn't and isn't. There is no way I will start that nasty,disgusting,money grabber habit again. Hang in there. Some of them smokers are looking at you and wishing that they could do the same thing,but they don't have the will power that you have to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chain

Last words of encouragement...Our preacher smoked! But he was a combat Vet of the Korean War, of course he never lit up in church but one day he told us he needed to quit, he knew smoking was bothering his health...well.. I'd heard that before so I repeated this to him, I said, "preacher, they say 'anyone can start smoking, but it takes a MAN to quit!" He looked at me and said, "buddy, I'll show you something, and he quit right then and there! He is now 86 yrs. young and going strong!

p.s. remember to put a pack of gum in your shirt pocket, chew half-stick, go through all the motions of unwrapping the gum as like you would a pack of cigarettes...soon you will be addicted to chewing-gum! :D

"Tobacco is a filthy weed, one of which you must not succeed,

it robs your pockets, and burns your clothes,

and makes a chimney of your nose!

Shooo... filthy weed!

JohnG28

Thanks guys.  I agree, there's no upside to it.  It's just a drain on money, health, and mental strength.  I'll tell you, as much as I want to I know that there is nothing good about it, and I will feel worse in the end.  A man I worked with a few years back, and who died of cancer last year, once told me about his quitting.  He told me, "I quit almost 25 years ago, and I still can't smell them without thinking, hey, that smells good.  I want one."  He was a great guy.  Goes to show the power of this addiction.  But I will prevail, much thanks to my support group here.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

tomsteve

glad to see no count on days! theres only one day ya dont have to smoke and thats today. if necessary take it one minute at a time. it will get easier.
i read in a woodworking magazine about a guy who quit smoking. his wife said if he quit, he could take the money every day and put it in a kitty. when he saved up enough, he could go buy a new tool. he has a pretty well equipped shop now! and it really didnt take him that long.

Roger2561

Quote from: JohnG28 on February 07, 2012, 07:11:35 PM
Thanks guys.  I agree, there's no upside to it.  It's just a drain on money, health, and mental strength.  I'll tell you, as much as I want to I know that there is nothing good about it, and I will feel worse in the end.  A man I worked with a few years back, and who died of cancer last year, once told me about his quitting.  He told me, "I quit almost 25 years ago, and I still can't smell them without thinking, hey, that smells good.  I want one."  He was a great guy.  Goes to show the power of this addiction.  But I will prevail, much thanks to my support group here.

After a 2 and half pack per day habit, I too quit.  I did it "cold turkey".  The first month was my worst.  The crave for a smoke was really bad.  But, I persevered and it'll be 20 years this Thanksgiving since I had a smoke.  It cost an arm and leg back then to smoke, I can not imagine how much it would cost me in today's cost.   So, John, if I can get through the craves, you can too.  Just find something to take the place of the cigarettes.  What I did was take long power walks, drank a huge glass of OJ and began an exercise program.  I'm nearly 51 years old now and run 3 to 4 miles everyday.  I still get the craves for a smoke once in awhile, but big glass of cold water or OJ generally takes care of it.  Good luck!  Roger
Roger

Shotgun

We're coming up on three weeks since you last posted, John. Sure hope that you're still hanging in there.  Let us know.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

mrcaptainbob

I vaguely recall quitting. Sometime in the mid-70's, I believe. It was around nine in the morning. I sort of 'tricked' myself. As there were the times throughout each day that were the regular light-up times, I did something else. Never the same thing two days in a row. My belief was that I did not want to establish a habit to replace a habit. I needed to break the habit, not replace it. It worked for me. The second thing I did, and still do, is to even THINK that I do NOT want to smoke. I never allowed me the luxury to say or think that "I want a smoke". It was always the NOT want. And I also convinced me that I was strong enough willed that I could most likely have a cigarette and go back to not smoking anymore. But....I was not willing to take that chance. What if....? That's how I managed me. And still do. Maybe we each have a a method that works for us. The stars, planets all have to be in the right place, all the cars on the road have to be positioned 'just so'.... It can be done. Stick to it. I know you will meet with success.....

JohnG28

Sorry that I have not checked in here lately. I actually pulled up the general board here this morning looking for this thread and it was right there.  I'm still doing OK here, although still struggling here and there.  I have been doing the work for 3 people the last 5 weeks and just found out yesterday it will be 4-6 more weeks running solo at work.  I'm a student as well so my days are long and busy.  It has proved to be to be a test at times, but I'm still using nicotine gum for cravings. I will get off of that eventually, but for now it is helping. Thank you for the continued support in getting through this!

Shotgun

That's good news, JohnG.  I'm sure that the people in your life really appreciate your effort. Keep it up, and Good Luck.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!