iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quitting!

Started by JohnG28, January 02, 2012, 08:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Smoking that is.  I have gone back and forth a lot of times here, quitting for a short time and then going back.  I think I've had enough now.  I said when they went to $10 a pack here that was it, but still I went on for another two years.   Well now I think it's time.  Bought what I hope is my last pack today.   Any words of wisdom from others who quit would be appreciated. Wish me luck!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A good friend of mine quit 3 years ago after the Doctor gave him his WARNING!

He said the first 3 months was the worst. He ate lots of hard candy and suckers. He stayed off of them though.

Its been 3 years now and he don't even think about it now. If you John, quit NOW.....you'll probably add another ten years to your life. But you can do it! If my friend can quit, so can you. He has the hardest head I've ever met.  :D

Hang in there, eat hard candy and stay busy!

Prayers are with you!

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ironwood

Never started, but stick to it. WOW $10 a pack I had no idea they were that high now!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Shotgun

John, you're still a young man.  I'm really pleased to learn that you're going to stop smoking. That will be a gift to yourself and for those that love you.  It can be done.  I've never done it though, because I never started. Take it one day at a time, and keep us posted. I've heard that the first few days are the worst.  Good luck.

Norm
Not a young man...
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Mooseherder

You can do it. :)   8)
I'm coming up on my 4 year anniversary of kicking the habit.
It isn't easy but you're the only person that can decide when it's time.
I loved smoking and would reward myself with a cigarette after completing each task, ciphering on a task, driving, after meals, and any possible moment where I could. 
It gets easier to not look back each and every day that you go smoke free.
Looking back now, I can't believe I was a smoker and have no desire for them.
When I first quit I didn't mind being around someone who was smoking.  Now, I would rather not be around it.  I have made a pledge to myself to not judge or preach on the subject for I know, no one can tell anyone to do anything until they are ready.  You will be rewarding yourself with many benefits though and you will not regret it. ;)
Good luck on your quest.  I'll be pulling for ya!

isawlogs

I am on five or better years of not smoking any tobaco, man was that something I found hard to get over . I was a heavy smoker at almost two packs or more a day, I had cravings for a long time but held on.  Stupid thing I did was to replace the cigs with chocolats...  Barrel shape ya saye...   ::) :D  I now need to get back into some kind of shape other then pear....

It aint gonna be easy, be strong and you can pull through this !  we are all pullin' for ya !!!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

John; You can quit if you want to.

Just try to keep busy and I found that it also helped to frequent designated "No Smoking" places!

I quit back in 1977 when I was stationed in Korea and there I could buy smokes for $1.10 per carton.

Good luck to you!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

My wife quit smoking using chantix?, it worked for her but I tried it for quitting chewing, my results weren't as great.  If YOU are ready to quit then you can!  I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted on your success in the years to come! 

Riggs

Good Luck  smiley_clapping
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

zopi

Hope you are still quit. I stopped about a month ago. Doing fine, and have no Navy making my life miserable...so it's all good.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Radar67

This is my fourth year without them. I used Chantix to quit. It really helped with the withdrawals.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Sprucegum

I quit New Years Eve 1988 - before it was socially acceptable to be a quitter  ::) but my 8 year old son was out running me so I had to  ;)

It was one of the hardest things I ever did but well worth it. You can also try acupuncture or hypnosis combat the craving.

Manorwood

well... not the easiest thing to say, but... Dad just got a ct scan of his lungs.  There are lumps there that were not there a year ago.  No biopsy yet so not saying the C word (but thinking it).  I can't speak for him, but for me, one of his sons, it really sucks.  Quit.  Dad did, many years ago.  We'll find out if it was early enough.  Now I have to go in for optical checks (digital not being good enough, apparently) cause he is first degree relative, and just through chemo from battling colon cancer (clean there - not bad habit related). 

This is not a year I am looking forward to.  Last year was bad enough for him.

fat olde elf

Go for it......I quit on October 15, 1980. Do the math. It was a Wednesday, 8:00 PM, but who keeps track of stuff like that ? Since you are in NY you can call 866-697-8487 which is the NY state quit line, If you are really lucky you may reach my brother, John, who has worked for them for several years. I bought a pack of Kent 100's in a machine in NYC in October 1980 for a buck. That (and many other factors) did it for me, 2 1/2 to 3 paks a day for a long time.  My pulmonary function is nearly perfect for my age. (old)  Good Luck to you.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Paper Maker

I quit 11/8/11 its getting easer every day. It still has its moments  but this time I've made my mind up. When I had my neck surgery on 9th they scared the you know what out of me. When I woke up in recovery, I was in allot of pain. When I told the recovery nurse that I was hurting bad, she said I know but we cant give you any thing else because of your blood oxygen level. She told me it was the results of being a smoker for so long. A couple of days later I threw all I had in the garbage. For people that have never smoked its hard for them to understand the hold that they have on you but after 20 something years I sure do. One things for sure though we're all hoping you can beat them. Best advise I can give you is to keep your mind busy on other things. I wish you the best of luck will power.  smiley_clapping

JohnG28

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.  I really appreciate it.  Today will be my last day with a smoke.  I know it's not the best way to quit but sort of my letting go I guess.  I am going to use nicotine gum to kill the cravings some,  and to keep my job.  :D I am putting it all out this time and I hope my hard head keeps me going. Manorwood,  I hope the best for your father as well.  Hopefully it works for the better and the worst is no more than a scare.  Thanks again to all, I'll keep you updated as this post shall help serve as a reminder to me to keep going!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Norm

thecfarm

You can do it. I probably tried 100 times before I quit, Been 15 years and I feel great.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

36 coupe

I quit smoking 50 years ago..I was using a pack a day.Ran out while i was working in a TV shop.Could have walked over to the gas station for a new pack but decided not to.I smoked a pipe now and then so went thru a 10 cent pak of Model in  the next week.Bummed a few butts from friends.Smoking a pipe will help you quit smoking,It takes time to dump the ashes and refill the pipe.If you insist on smoking roll your own.I saw a pak of Camels priced at 10 bucks.a friend was smoking 3 packs a day, I did get him to roll his own.He has cancer in both lungs.

Qweaver

I quit a pack a day unfiltered pall Mall habit in 1973.  I think that as long as you say this is the last pack and then keep on buying another one...you will never quit.  Lay down the full pack and never pick it up again.  It's tough but so is dying of cancer.  I think we all have "will-power"...we just have to use it!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

I wish you the best.  I have a friend who substituted chewing.  :-\   He later said that chewing was harder to quit than smoking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

Don't give up on it.  I quit cold turkey the 1st week of June 2003.  I was a pack a day + user.  More if alcohol was involved.  Seldom does a day go by that at some point cigarettes don't cross my mind but I'll never smoke again.  The smell of cigarette smoke especially stale smoke enforces that. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

doctorb

My experience with patients tells me that, in addition to the will and will power to quit, you must not place yourself into environments where smoking is going to continue.  If your wife or your kids are at home and they smoke, you will have a very tough time quitting. 

If that's the case, my advice is to make a pact with your family.  Either they have to stop at the same time (a great idea), which provides a great built-in support group, or they can no longer smoke in the house or in your car.

Get rid of the ashtrays, including your car.  Get rid of the "hiding spots" where you have stashed tobacco before.  Clean house.  Find a non-caloric snack that you can lean on to replace the oral tendencies associated with smoking.  Finally, make sure your friends and fellow workers understand that you are trying to quit.  Avoid any routines with friends and family that places you in a locale where routinely you used to smoke, or where smoking routinely occurs.

Good Luck.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

LeeB

Toughest drug I ever kicked. I quit on 7/27/09 and still have an occasional urge.  Reading this stirred it up just a twinge. I smoked forclose to 40 years. If I can quit, you can too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on January 03, 2012, 08:52:44 AM
Toughest drug I ever kicked. I quit on 7/27/09 and still have an occasional urge.  Reading this stirred it up just a twinge. I smoked forclose to 40 years. If I can quit, you can too.

Roger that, Lee and I quit about the same time. My date was 7-1-09. Had to just about quit drinking beer to do it though but lucky for me I am back on beer. Still have urges though but easy to get through them.   
I really try to stay away from smoking bars and have actually become sort of a smoking snob in that regard. I figure I went through all that to quit why should I smell it now.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!