iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading cattle (sort of)

Started by sandhills, January 02, 2012, 08:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I just read Srucegum's thread about throwing a track and it reminded me of yesterday morning.  The day before my wife, stepson, and daughters helped dad and I work our spring calves.  I still had first calvers and their fall calves at my pasture/field and thought I'd feed them in the catch pen that evening so I could lock them up and bring them home the next day to work those calves.  Well all went great, almost. I got them penned up that night and went back in the morning with the trailer, I don't have an actual catch pen there, it's all portable panels so I made a little alley to back the trailer to, backed up and fastened everything up, and lo and behold, exactly what I wanted was standing in the alley.  This was ENTIRELY too good to be true, got 2 of the heifers and ALL the calves standing there, gate shut behind them, and they start jumping in the trailer.  Only had 4 calves left to get in and one gets its head under the panel, lifts it a few feet up and away they go.  I never sorted a hoof or even opened my mouth, like I said, I knew it was too good to be true so tomorrow I'll try it again.   :D

red oaks lumber

man do i know that feeling ;D sad thing is now they know somethings up
good luck
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

JV

I got out of the cattle business years ago but have a neighbor who still raises a few calves.  He and I were talking this afternoon about cattle and livestock in general.  Dad had several friends who hauled stock and I remember loading cattle or hogs to go to the yards at Indianapolis a 70 mile trip one way.  Hauling in some of those trucks back in the 50's and 60's could get interesting to say the least.  Most places including ours really weren't set up with good pens so loading could get exciting sometimes.  I swear some of those critters were crossed with kangaroos or mules.  Mixed loads of hogs and cattle were a challenge.  I remember tailing and old sow up the chute when one of Dad's ornery friends zapped her with a hotshot.  Lit her and me up, both went up the chute and didn't stop until we hit the front.  He just stood there and laughed with me vowing revenge.  Most of those guys at sometime had broken ribs, arms, or worse.  I wouldn't even attempt it today.   ;D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Roxie

Hauling livestock is how Cowboy Bob makes a living and there is a definite art to handling those critters.  I've got nothing but respect for those guys. 

For a really wild bunch that isn't accustomed to being handled, he puts a few scoops of feed in the nose of the trailer to keep them interested until he gets the stragglers on. 

You did the right thing in calling it a day and trying again tomorrow.  Stay calm, don't hurry and you'll get the job done.   :)
Say when

Kansas

I won't say their isn't a place for horses and ATVs.. But it was a lot easier using a feed bucket. Didn't even have to be much grain at all. I used to buy flyweight calves from the sale barns, usually in small bunches or singles. Some arrived pretty wild. Soon as they learned what was in the bucket, you could do about whatever you wanted. I always tried to have at least one bunk in the pen. That way they were used to following you. Just had to watch out you didn't get run over. They always remembered that bucket when they got turned out to pasture, too.

Norm

Shot the first one that gets out...it makes the others think twice about it.  :D

Magicman

Back in our cattle days, we had to shoot and eat a few that had bad habits.  It is truly amazing what cattle can do when they are scared or sometimes just decide to do it.

I have not had the first tree to jump a fence and get out.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

The feed bucket stampede reminds me of an incident we had back when we rented a barn and pasture from a complete greenhorn who was a young classical musician. 

We had a line back steer we named Blue.  Since birth, Blue knew that big white five gallon bucket meant warm milk.  Admittedly, we kept him on milk way too long, but he never forgot that bucket.  One day, we were in the field working on a baler, and the musician decided he was gonna take some trash to the burn pit down in the pasture.  At first, we didn't think much of the event, until we heard Blue let out a bellow like a freight train.  Sure enough, the musician was strolling through the pasture carrying that trash in a white bucket.  Blue took off, the musician took off and we were screaming "drop the bucket!  drop the bucket!"  The guy finally dropped it as he climbed the nearest tree.  Blue sure was upset with that bucket of trash.  He knocked it all over the pasture in his frustration. 

We still laugh when we think of it. 
Say when

sandhills

Yeah, they've been getting fed in the pen everyday, I'd rather them follow me then me chase them.  Our cattle for the most part are really tame and used to being handled, but I also work at the salebarn in town where we see pretty much everything from time to time, including broken bones.  Sent another guy off 2 weeks ago to get his wrist pinned back together  :(.

sandhills

Roxie, we had a bull that was the same way with grain, but he'd knock you down to get it  :o.  He didn't last too long, don't think he'd hurt you but never hung on to the bucket long enough to find out  ;).

Roxie

Bulls are in a different category all together.  Cows and steers that act like bulls also go into that category. 

The very first bull that I rode with CB to haul, was a 2600 pound Angus.  CB put a cow in the nose and closed the front gate.  He backed up to the pen and made sure we were tight and then opened the back.  I stood there and said, "What do we do now?" because that big boy wasn't making a move.  CB said, "We wait for him to decide he wants to go on."  After about five minutes of sniffing he walked into that trailer acting a perfect gentleman. 

What kind of cattle do you raise? 
Say when

LeeB

I gotta load up a steer and take to the butcher whenI get home and don't really have any good set up for doing so. i sure was hoping to glean a little learning from this thread that would help. I was supposed to take him in several months back and even enticed him into the trailer. To bad it was two days early and 100 degree temps. I let him back out and haven't been able to get him near the trailer since.  >:(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kansas

Just start feeding him in the trailer. Back it up to wherever he is penned... put whatever you are feeding him in there, pull his other food sources. It won't take long. With luck, he might start laying down in there. Makes it a lot easier when you throw that back gate around.. because if he hits it at a dead run while your trying to shut it.. well, it was nice to know you.

Roxie

If you are hauling him to the butcher shop, loading him may be the least of your problems.  They can smell what that place is about and refuse to unload.  Fortunately, most butcher shops are set up to deal with the freak out that ensues.

There have been a few times when a skid loader with a bucket was useful to herd them onto the trailer.  This only works if your fella is more afraid of the loader than the trailer. 

Do you have a chute that is narrow enough to keep them from switching back or are you loading directly from the pasture? 

Kansas suggestion is the best method if you are loading him out of a pen in the barn. 

Say when

LeeB

Small pasture straight to the trailer. Another problem is that he is in the same small pasture as my old horse and the donkey. Keeping him off the feed is tough because he bullies the donkey for his. I don't want to freak him too bad. Not out of any kind of sentiment for him, his name has been steak meat since I got him, but to keep the meat tastier.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandhills

Roxie, we raise angus, and yes bulls are a whole different creature, I hate bulls.  As far as transporting goes you should see some of the bone heads that pull into the salebarn to load cattle, how they remain among the living is beyond me. They may have a cdl and drive a semi but that's pretty much where the experience runs out, no livestock no how whatsoever  ::).

LeeB, Kansas has the right solution, much like training any animal just let it decide it's more comfortable in the trailer than out.  Do you have any neighbors that would loan you a few panels, or could you string up a hot wire between him and the other animals to keep him off their feed?  I don't think it would take him long to figure out where the feed is and shouldn't hurt the quality of the meat any.  Good luck!

Roxie

Sandhills, we've seen some of those bone head haulers too.  Not a lick of sense and just hollering and upsetting the animals for no reason, except ignorance. 

If we pull into the auction chutes next to one of these guys, we just move to a quieter unloading area.  CB was raised on a dairy farm and keeping them calm and happy is crucial to milk cows.  As anyone that has visited a barn knows, just something as simple as a stranger walking in will cause them all to start pooing to show their displeasure.  So freaking out and screaming is really very counter productive. 

You aren't going to out-muscle anything bigger than the 150 pound calf stage, but they are remarkably easy to outsmart. 

LeeB, I think your donkey and horse are going to have to spend the night in the barn or another pasture until you get the steak guy loaded.  If his water and feed are in the trailer, he will go in, quietly. 
Say when

Corley5

My Grandpa Whittaker wasn't a patient man especially when it came to the cattle.  It just wasn't his nature.  He'd get wound up and start running, chasing, yelling and waving his arms.  It just didn't work  ;D  He'd been around livestock his whole life and never figured it out.  The last few years we had cattle Dad and I would slip in and between the two of us we could sort the calves from cows in just few minutes with very little excitement  :)  Grandpa always told us later we should have came and got him to help us  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sandhills

Roxie, you're spot on with the milk cows, I used to hate it when people would show up and try to "help out", it usually took twice as long then  :D.

Corley5, we have a group of cattle that come to our salebarn every year and they come in 2 days before the sale, for just that reason.  It takes 3 of us an entire day to sort those cattle, we've all worked together long enough not a word is spoken the whole day, no big movements, and it takes 2 sorting alleys so they have plenty of room to run out of steam before they start hitting gates.  In other words it's not fun, but of course if you ask the owners, those calves weren't that way until they got there  >:(.  We can normally sort twice as many head in about an hour between the 2 alleys, and that's with other animals and people all over the place.  Some people just shouldn't have livestock.

Woodwalker

Some years ago I had trailered a couple of tame cows over to a buddies and left them there with his bull till they calved. He had a good set of working pens and loading chute.  I backed the trailer up, slid the gate open and proceeded to load one  cow and calf in the front of trailer, close the divider gate and load the second pair  in the rear of the trailer. Things were going real well, I had one pair headed up the chute and shooing them into the front of the trailer. I had them moving at a pretty good pace and was intent on closing the divider gate when my forehead made contact with the steel bar on the rear sliding gate. I distantly remember a dull gong sound.
I came to some time later with a goose egg on my forehead, a bad headache and both pair of cows and calves were back in the lot.     
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

sandhills

OUCH!!!!!  There is a rail in the top of our cattle pot that gets me every time, I know the feeling, you'd think someday I'd learn  ::).

Roxie

Thought I would share a picture of the fella we hauled to the sale barn today.  Notice the ever present cow behind him to keep him calm. 

Say when

Al_Smith

I don't care weather it's sheep, hogs ,cattle  or horses .You have to out smart them because you aren't going to out power them .

pigman

:o Outsmart an animal. Now I know why I have a hard time handling animals. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Roxie, he don't look all that calm to me  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Roxie,what was the name of the sale barn?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

It's the Vintage Sale Barn in Lancaster County, and a great place to take and unload the big guys. 

The bulls name is Pepe and he was led on the truck with a piece of bread.  His horn span is just shy of 6 feet. 
Say when

Roxie

Here is a close up of him inside the trailer.  He really was well behaved. 

Say when

Faron

And if he is anything like the longhorn cow and bull my friend Pete used to have, he can handle those horns like an expert swordsman. :o  Pete fed in a feedway with maybe 20" dividers.  We wanted to hold that bull in there to do something, and figured we could grab his horns as we walked by and hold him there.  He could turn his head and get out way too fast for us to get hold of them. :D  I always had a healthy respect for those longhorns.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

DDDfarmer

We de-horn the calves at birth now with paste, get about 75 - 80 % of them.  Anything we miss gets treated with the clippers in the fall.  dont want horns on any of the cattle here. Too hard of feeders, machinery, other cattle and potentially us...
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

sandhills

Our neighbors who we trade a lot of help with raise some longhorns and although for the most part they're all very tame, I can't help but think "what's gonna happen when he swings his head around at a fly and I'm in the way?"  :D.  That guy's impressive Roxie, once they start getting close to that 6' span it can be a lot of fun watching them work around objects and narrow places.

Al_Smith

A foul tempered bull can hurt you weather he has horns or not .You definately will not out power one that's for certain .

mooleycow

uncle had a bull always finding a  way out or through the fence.  bulls name was whit.  uncle was a young man with a pitchfork.  they developed an understanding.  whit seen him coming, he would turn back for the barn.  i've learned to understand horses and cows also.  no problem, you just have to have an understanding.  what they want. what you want and what won't be tolerated. 

sandhills

Bad deal yesterday, very bad.  We have our weekly sales on Wednesday, yesterday morning my boss at the salebarn was loading cattle, this particular bunch comes with a lot of snort every year.  Anyway one steer kept getting back on him and I can't for the life of me figure how it happened exactly but he tried to pull a gate on him and didn't get it in time, his hand was between the end of the gate and ?? when the steer hit it full speed.  My wife is a nurse and was on the floor at the hospital when she heard the call for the life flight and the name of the patient, luckily (if there is such a thing) it was just his hand so she ran to the er.  She's been a surgical nurse, and worked er a lot and said she's never seen anything that mangled, she said I stood there and looked at it trying to figure out if he still had all his fingers and couldn't tell.  This happened at about 9 am and I talked to his wife last night, she said they were optomistic they could save the hand and at least 3 of the fingers, he was supposed to get out of surgery by 3 am this morning.  One of those accidents that never should have happened but I guess that's why they're called accidents.  Be careful out there folks.

Thank You Sponsors!