iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tracks and chains

Started by snowstorm, January 02, 2012, 07:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

today was the day put the tracks and chains on bolth valmets. i would rather put tracks on than chains hate chains. how dose everyone else install there chains? i did them the same way i do the tracks. lay them out rings up hook a long chain to one ring other end goes up over the tire as you backup running over the chain it pulls the tire chain on

madmari

We put chains on the 230 today. What a pain, even when it goes well. Put them on the same way, drive them on. Tightening is another issue- we use a come-a-long to get the center rings tight and then hook up the sides as tight as possible. I have found that if left a little loose, they stay centered better- just my woodchuck observation and inability to get them really tight. Put a tank heater (2000 watt) in the 208 as she was having a hard time at single digit temps. Generator runs the heaters- sharpen saws discuss world issues and get everything ready and the blocks are warm.
  Had a fellow logger here today tell me the pine market is closing already. We'll see tommorrow. If it is, we're gonna be out of business.
  If you ever want to know what market is going soft, call me. It's whatever I am cutting. 8)
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Bobus2003

When I put the chains on the 518 AND 450TJ, I just used the Delimber, hooked up too and end layed them over the tires, drove forward, used the chain tightner to get them tight and clevised the hell out of them

tree chopper

i put mine on the tires with my prentice drive ahead hook them then tighten them with a chain tightner  done it with a chain before also thats not fun hope this helps
me my son a 1968 chevy c50 log truck 1972 franklin 160 with a 453 detroit a prentice h model log loader with a cab mounted on a 1985 international s model huskee woodsplitter and a old military conveyor 2165 josered 2188 jonsered 266 husky 455 husky 036 pro stihl 460 magnum stihl and a p52 pioneer

John Mc

The technique I use is one I picked up on a tractor web site: Tractorbynet.com

• Lay the chains out behind the tractor with the outside of the chains facing up.
  • Loop a rope through the rim and tie the ends to the center of the near edge of the chain (Do not tie to the outside edges of the chain).
  • Drive forward, pulling the chains up and over the tire (you may have to adjust the chain a bit to get it centered
  • Stop a bit before the end of the chain gets to the top of the tire (say at 10 or 11 O'clock, if the top is 12:00)
  • fasten the ends of the chain to each other & remove the rope

This procedure puts a bit of tension on the chain as you drive it on (from the drag of the chain along the ground behind my tractor as I pull them up and over the wheel. I'll drive around a bit to see if the chains settle in and need to be tightened, but 9 times out of 10, they do not. (They almost always needed to be adjusted and tightened when I used my old method of laying the outside of the chain face down and driving over the chains)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ed_K

Same as John MC,if you have solid rims throw the rope over the first tread v that will hold the rope and chain.Or torch a hole in the rim like I did on the skidder.
Ed K

Decked

I always put chains on the front of 540D ( 23.1-26} alone.

Just lay the chain out in front of the tire, drive skidder on chain(fwd). hook a chain choker to the front end of the chain, jump in skidder..back up slowly while pulling on the choker. The skidder backs up & the chain walks  right up & over the tire. Then I used a 'tightener'  ( looks like a big draftsman's compass) to tighten things up.... 90 min project, alone :)

Ken

Although I do not have any experience with tracks putting chains on or tightening them is not my favorite job.  We too have a chain tightener that looks like a large draftsman's compass.  Cost me a few bucks to get made but worth it's weight in gold.  Before aquiring that we would use cum-a-longs, pipes, pry bars, etc to put on chains.  The tighteners work great. 

I have seen people drop the air out of tires, put the chains on and then re-air the tires.  I've also seen holes cut in rims and a chain fed through the rim to hold the chain tight.  On older equipment I personally think it is not a bad idea to have the tire slip inside the chains a tiny bit.  I think it is a little easier on old drivetrains but that is just my opinion.

Snowstorm  Hope the Valmets are treating you good this winter.  Our operating conditions here are ideal right now.  Now if only you folks down south of the border would begin building houses, decks, fences, etc the entire industry may rebound. 

Cheers
Ken

Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

Quote from: Ken on January 03, 2012, 06:30:37 PM
Although I do not have any experience with tracks putting chains on or tightening them is not my favorite job.  We too have a chain tightener that looks like a large draftsman's compass.  Cost me a few bucks to get made but worth it's weight in gold.  Before aquiring that we would use cum-a-longs, pipes, pry bars, etc to put on chains.  The tighteners work great. 

I have seen people drop the air out of tires, put the chains on and then re-air the tires.  I've also seen holes cut in rims and a chain fed through the rim to hold the chain tight.  On older equipment I personally think it is not a bad idea to have the tire slip inside the chains a tiny bit.  I think it is a little easier on old drivetrains but that is just my opinion.

Snowstorm  Hope the Valmets are treating you good this winter.  Our operating conditions here are ideal right now.  Now if only you folks down south of the border would begin building houses, decks, fences, etc the entire industry may rebound. 

Cheers
Ken
they are doing fine ken.today was the first day i have cut wood since nov 1st. bought another truck to plow roads with and it took forever to gear it up the way i wanted. still no snow on the ground. maybe a big one for the weekend. are you running your harvester? when you were down here you said you had someone to operate it.

John Mc

Decked -

Try the technique I described for the rear tires on your fronts. Lay the chain out in front, outside of the chain face up. Do not drive onto the chain, just tie the center of the end to the rim and back up, dragging the chain up and over the tire. This pre-tensions your chain a bit as you put it on. I bet you cut your install time significantly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!