iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new mailbox post

Started by purple otter, January 02, 2012, 06:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple otter

Made this last week out of some 5x5 black locust.

I think I finally figured out this picture thing!
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Magicman

I like it.  Matter of fact, I really like it.

How did the "Sawmill Run" come about?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Looks good. Whats the white stuff on the ground? bg

WDH

That post will be there longer than the concrete!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WildDog

Good looking mail box. 8)

I have some ideas for mail box's using hollow logs and plow discs for lids etc but the mailman won't deliver this far out. :( I might just make one anyway and put it out the front. Should get the neighbours wondering what if I am special getting extra services. :) :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

purple otter

The name of the road is just irony.  :-\ My neighbors always ask if I had anything to do with naming the road. :D
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Brad_bb

That looks like one of the typical thin mailboxes.  I have on of the Ironsides brand boxes that is 1/8 inch thick.  Much more bat resistant.  Something to think about.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Every time I put up a nice mailbox, the local hoodlums destroyed it.  Now, I use a cheap plastic one.  They must not be as much fun to destroy since the hoodlums generally leave it alone.  Either that, or this bunch of hoodlums have grown up and moved off or are in prison. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

Made my mail box post out of 2" pipe with a flat diamond frame that the mailbox and a couple of paper tubes sit inside.  Had a small sign on the post for years that said,"Louisville Slugger Testing Site" :D

Living within a mile of the high school, I do see a certain amount of bat vandalism but the diamond's deflection hasn't been overcome yet! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

Good job on the post.We're on a dead end road so they would have to go up the hill and than start at the top and work thier way down. Mail boxes are expensive to keep replacing. I would make one out of 1/4 inch steel,but I suppose some one would run into it,damage thier car and I would have to pay for the damage.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

purple otter

We are on a dead end too.My wife was worried about somebody getting hurt on the sawblade,but if they are close enough to get hurt they were probably up to no good.

True story...years ago my grandfather was having problems with someone running over his mailbox at night,so he put a 6x6 I beam 4feet in the ground and boxed it with wood.Sure enough a few nights later he heard a crash.When he went out to see what happened he was surprised to see an elderly man in his car stuck on the I beam.It did alot of damage and a tow truck was needed to get his car off the beam.After that my grandfather took the I beam out and took his chances with a wood post :-\

Don_Papenburg

I made mine a little heavy ,3/8" steel body and a 1/4" door . the door was a bit heavy as it opened so I put in springs to counter the weight.   I installed it on a pipe held in the ground with a yard of concrete. the mailbox is on a frame of 5x5x1/4" square tube and a larger pipe to swing a full 360°.  It was only tested once and the pain must have spred like wild fire .  There were a few more box smashings down my road and mine was not hit.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Chris Burchfield

That post should be there when Jesus comes back.  I had and neighbors had a problem with Kids basing our mailboxes with ball bats.  I put up a four post with a large box for larger mail.  Sure enough, went out one day for the mail.  I found a broken brick on the ground and street.  A crease in the front post.  A few feet away, a bunch of giblet, tempered glass on the roadway.  Go home a tell daddy about that!   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

reride82

My dad had a 20" truck rim with 6" well casing for our mailbox post, but the post office said we had to change to a safer design since we lived on a well travelled highway. He wouldn't change his out until our neighbor, the postmaster's father, changed his out. He had a crankshaft out of a john deere tractor welded to a truck wheel for a mailbox frame. Dad built both ours and the neighbor's old mailboxes and now ours is a plain 4x4 pine post with rebar stuck into the ground and a breakaway cable so if it is hit it breaks off and swings away into the ditch. The old ones were way cooler, and were pretty bottom heavy. The only time ours was hit was when a drunk guy hit it with a pickup, but he didn't get real far since the truck wheel base tipped up and smashed the oil pan on his engine. He didn't get real far after that.  ::) I think the new one is more of a danger since it is designed to break and fly, and not just tip over like the old one, but that is what the postal code said to install...  :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Den Socling

It's been maybe 25 or 30 years since I had to replace our box. We are out in the country and there is no curb along the road. When I put in the last post, I set it back from the road about 3 feet. To whack it with a bat, you would need to pull off the road. No brat has done that.

Thank You Sponsors!