iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What brand of hydraulic oil

Started by QwikDraw, January 02, 2012, 12:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QwikDraw

I'm looking to start buying hydraulic and motor oil in bulk.  I see the prices have a big range, I don't want to go tocheap or buy something for the name.

What works good?  and who delivers to CT?

Thx

kiko

QuikDraw, this is only my personal opinion. Bulk oil will always end up being more expensive for two reasons !. At some point the bulk oil will get contaminated likely with water( from rain or condensation when the bulk container is no longer full) and will have to be disposed of.  2. If this contaminated oil ends up in your machines it will lead to costly hyd. repairs.

QwikDraw

Good point Kiko.  I had planned on keeping the barrels inside the shop and fill 5 gallon buckets to transport so that may not be a problem.

Can I get pallets of 5 gallon buckets?  Just looking for some sort of price break on volume.

leeroyjd

Tractor Supply Co. carries "Extreme" brand compatible w/ JD Hy-guard I've had no problems with it. Not sure on price check with them about pallet worth.
  They also carry Traveller brand but this seems much thinner to me.

Corley5

Carquest, NAPA etc can get you pallets of 5 gal buckets.  You can probably get it cheaper direct from petroloeum distributors in your area.  Check the Yellow Pages  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bill m

The last time I bought any oil in bulk it was bar oil. John B. Hull in Canaan Ct. had the best price of anyone.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

snowstorm

you could try dennison lube i belive there main office is in mass. i use there hydr oil. for motor oil i only run irving. what are you paying for a 5gal pail of aw68 ? 2yrs ago i got it for 20 last spring25 now its 30

Mosby

Recently bought 5 gallons of Valvoline AW-32 from O'Reilly Auto delivered for free to my door. Less in cost than local NAPA. Valvoline was more than some of the other brands but I wanted to go with a brand I knew for my splitter. Most brands would probably work fine and a lot of people buy from TSC but I haven't had good experiences with TSC so I simply don't buy from them anymore.  When I saw O'Reilly had what I was looking for I went with it.

woodmills1

quickdraw, it sounds like you have enough equipment to warrent the bulk purchase, have you tried to establish an account with a local parts supplier, trying to get on their discount list?

I went this route years ago as my number of cylinders increased.  I currently might pay just a bit more for the Rotella T from him than I would at Sam's club, but when I look at my overall parts and supply costs I save big time.  things like the hydraulic filter on the back hoe......nearly 50% less than dealer and and 30% less than any aftermarket parts place.

there is another benefit to this approach, customer service
My firewood processor has a 25 hp subaru.  The air filter was one of the ones with an intregal top glued to a standard like round filter.  I took it to them and they matched the filter using dimensions, then went home and separated the top and flatened the rolled edge for huge savings.  they also cross matched all of the filters on my Kioti, first trying the computor, then the book, and finally calling their supplier.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mad murdock

Your local jobber should be able to supply you for reasonable $$. We use shell tellus 68 in our trucks and in the aux hydraulics in our helicopter fleet. It is a premium anti foaming oil that costs a little more than yer standard hydraulic oil. All the main brands have good oil.  Even the stuff from the local farm co-op is decent oil. I think the tellus runs us in the 400/barrel range.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

semologger

i want the type that dont leak out of the hoses and seals on my machines. The need to start putting stop leak it the oil.

Autocar

Smeologger got to love that request  :D  :D  :D
Bill

roquevalente

hello, I wonder what you guys pay for hydraulic oil, I am located in Bolivia and we have here pretty good imported hydraulic oil nowadays for $600/ 200lts, so that is $3 per each liter. The brand is petronas and is brazilian from Petrobras I guess.
Roque Valente SRL is a ipe hardwood mill located in the Bolivian forest specialized in milling and logging - www.roquevalente.com

mad murdock

$5-$6/gallon. How are things in Santa Cruz? I was working there in 1990 for a short time. Nice area!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treefarmer87

i have used super s and traveler. I dont notice much differance in the brands. Tractor supply has a brand for $32 for 5 gal. Advance auto sells super s for $40 for 5 gal.   
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

jessicas903

we use the extreme at tractor supply. If you buy 10 buckets u get an extra 5percent off. just bought ten the other day less than 300 dollars. one bucket is 30 dollars here in texas. I also have a timber/farm exemption number so i dont have to pay taxes on it. We have been running this in our john deere skidder and loader and works great.

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum jessicas903!  That is a decint buy on hydraulic oil.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum  jessicas903.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowstorm

Quote from: jessicas903 on January 18, 2012, 11:18:05 AM
we use the extreme at tractor supply. If you buy 10 buckets u get an extra 5percent off. just bought ten the other day less than 300 dollars. one bucket is 30 dollars here in texas. I also have a timber/farm exemption number so i dont have to pay taxes on it. We have been running this in our john deere skidder and loader and works great.
you must use tdh in a john deere skidder. they use piston pumps. plain old aw 32 or 68 is not a good

jessicas903

Xtreme Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid is designed as a replacement fluid and universal lubricant for farm and industrial tractors and construction equipment. It's a blend of base stocks with an EP (extreme pressure) and AW (anti-wear) additive package and highly active rust, and corrosion and oxidation inhibitors - all in a balanced performance package to insure lubricity, wear protection, compatibility with seals, o-rings and packing materials. Xtreme Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid is an economical multiple service oil for use in the majority of hydraulic, wet brake and transmission requirements of most equipment requiring a universal tractor fluid.

we have used this for awhile now. our john deere dealer and service mech said it meets all requirements.

lumberjack48

My S8 International had a Funk power shift, they told me i had to use their power shift oil or I'd have problems. I can't remember what it cost but it was spendy. I got to be friends with their trans mechanic he told me not to waste my money. He told me to use Series 3, 10 weight motor oil, so i used 518 Cenex after that. I used it 10 yrs with out a problem.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!